Thread: Why did the Jellyfish cross the road?

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:06 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,284 Times in 4,713 Posts

Why did the Jellyfish cross the road?

After a frozen early December, the weather suddenly turned to mid-50s and very wet, here in Cascadia. It's leading to record high tides and flooded streets here in FORD Country....

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

And if all that wasn't enough, we got MAGAtt terrorists running around attacking the power substations.....

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:21 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,615 Posts

Just snow and subzero temps over the weekend here, but not snow like Buffalo got again. I got my truck out without shoveling.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    We had a dusting of snow and one morning got down to -1 last Friday... damn cold for this far south! Heading into a week of 60's and rain now... fuckin winter...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:05 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,565 Times in 3,450 Posts

Death toll from blizzard up to at least 35, surpasses Blizzard of ’77
    by: Nick Veronica

Updated: Dec 28, 2022 / 12:10 PM EST

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) – At least 35 deaths connected to the Blizzard of ’22 have been confirmed by local officials as of Wednesday morning, with the majority coming within the City of Buffalo.

The number surpasses the most commonly reported death toll from the Blizzard of ’77 – widely known as Buffalo’s worst storm of all-time, at least prior to this week.

Erie County Executive Mark Poloncarz said the Medical Examiner’s Office has confirmed 34 storm-related deaths, and one more was reported from Niagara County. The death toll may continue to grow.

Latest Blizzard Snow Totals
    Poloncarz on offered condolences to families who lost loved ones “as a result of the worst storm that we’ve ever seen.” He said 26 of the deaths happened with the City of Buffalo, seven were in the suburbs of Amherst, Cheektowaga and Depew, and the location of one remained unknown.

Poloncarz said three of the victims — two men and one woman — have not yet been identified. If you are missing a loved one, you are urged to call your local police department.

The county also provided a breakdown of the cause of deaths in Erie County on Tuesday when the toll was 31:

17 were found outside
    7 were from no heat
    3 were from cardiac events due to shoveling or snow blowing
    3 were in a stranded vehicle
    1 was from an EMS delay
    The Niagara County Sheriff’s office on Tuesday identified the man killed in the storm as Timothy M. Murphy of Lockport. They reported he died from carbon monoxide poisoning after heavy snow covered his furnace exhaust vent.

The Sheriff’s office said Kathy D. Murphy was also found unconscious in the residence. She remains in intensive care.

The death toll for the Blizzard of ’77 is most commonly reported as 29, though some sources cite less. Poloncarz said Monday this week’s storm was “the worst I’ve ever seen. And I did live through the Blizzard of ’77.”

Latest 4Warn Weather Forecast: Still snowing on Tuesday
    The intensity of the Blizzard of ’22 appears to have surpassed that of the Blizzard of ’77, in terms of wind speed, snowfall and duration of whiteout conditions, though the region may be able to recover quicker this time. Wind gusts over the weekend reached hurricane force, topping 74 mph. The Buffalo Airport received more than 4 feet of snow. Blizzard conditions began Friday morning and lasted until Saturday night in some areas of the city before the snow band shifted south on Sunday, Christmas Day.

By contrast, the Blizzard of ’77 featured sustained winds of 46 mph with gusts up to 69 mph and 13 hours of whiteout conditions, according to a 2017 Buffalo News lookback story. The actual snow total was only about a foot, according to the story, but the iconic — or infamous — snow drifts from ’77 were a result of snow piling up on the ground and on a frozen Lake Erie, and blowing across the region. The lake froze early that year, in December, and snowfall totals in December and January were unusually high. When high winds blew all that snow across Western New York, drifts were said to be as high as second-story windows and power lines.

“I’d be shocked if we got another storm to compare to the Blizzard of ’77 in my lifetime, in my kids’ lifetime or even in their kids’ lifetime,” a National Weather Service meteorologist told the Buffalo News for their story five years ago. He called it a once-in-200-year weather event.

Generator takes four-hour ride to save 150 people in Buffalo shelter during blizzard
    As of Tuesday afternoon, travel bans were reduced to travel advisories in all of Erie County, except the City of Buffalo, which was among the hardest hit and slowest to dig out. Grocery stores reopened Tuesday after being closed since Friday, and some public transit services resumed. The airport is closed through Wednesday morning.

Nick Veronica is a Buffalo native who joined the News 4 team as a Digital Executive Producer in 2021. He previously worked at NBC Sports and The Buffalo News. You can follow Nick on Facebook and Twitter and find more of his work here.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Still in a driving ban because the retards that run the city and DPW can't find their asses from a hole in the ground...

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

42 and sunny today. Was able to spray the salt off my Gladiator!

Highest wind gust here over the weekend was reported as 74 mph. I slept right through it. I think it was windier a couple weeks ago. Maybe they measure wind speed at the old lighthouse on the lake and not here on the shore.

Had all my shopping done Tuesday and didn't have to go out until Saturday afternoon.

I acquired a generator over the summer and will work on getting a junction box set up to feed the heating system soon. Power didn't go out here, I was surprised.
    Last edited by twonabomber; 12-28-2022 at 01:45 PM.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

My power went out but came back on in 36 hours so I wasn't to worried. I went out Friday morning and decided to shop early at 7am. It was raining lightly and I spent a while in line but found most of what I needed because the store was decently stocked surprisingly but there weren't many cashiers. I walked out into a blinding white out with winds that were 50mph and up to 80mph. I got home and haven't left since but will tomorrow either way, though the County stepped in and things should be open by 9am. We got anywhere from 36-50" of snow but it was hard to tell since the wind blew it all over fuck...

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Wind was coming out of the south here, most of the snow blew across the street. I brought a shovel inside in case I had to dig my way out but it was okay. Charged up all my cordless tool batteries, got the inverters ready, made sure everything would connect to the wifi in the truck...for nothing! lol

We lost power two weekends in a row back in '14 (I think) during the OMG polar vortex! event. House lost two degrees an hour, down to 40 or so before the power came back on. That storm/event seemed worse than this one.

Lake boats are still running, one was loading at the salt mine and another was anchored out in the lake waiting to come in. Don't the locks close soon?

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

And...snow's gone!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-27-2024 @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    80 degrees in Palm Beach today. Can’t complain.

Thread Information