Thread: Why didn't the 1984 Tour continue after Donington?

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-18-2024 @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Why didn't the 1984 Tour continue after Donington?

As it was originally billed as a 'World Tour', you would think they would at least play markets like Japan and even South America again.

Or maybe the band was just too burnt out?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    I think the 1984 tour started in either January or February and ended in...August or September.

As I recall, there weren't a lot of off-days, either...I think they had a month off between the US dates and the several shows they did do in Europe. But I think they started the US tour in mid-January and it ended in mid-July or something like that, and for each of those 6 months of the US tour they were doing 15+ gigs a month.

Not much of a 'world tour' agreed, but they played something like 100 shows in 8 months...I think it probably was along the lines of what you said, in that the band were burnt out. Probably sick of one another before the tour even started, from what I've read.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I think the 1984 tour started in either January or February and ended in...August or September.

As I recall, there weren't a lot of off-days, either...I think they had a month off between the US dates and the several shows they did do in Europe. But I think they started the US tour in mid-January and it ended in mid-July or something like that, and for each of those 6 months of the US tour they were doing 15+ gigs a month.

Not much of a 'world tour' agreed, but they played something like 100 shows in 8 months...I think it probably was along the lines of what you said, in that the band were burnt out. Probably sick of one another before the tour even started, from what I've read.
    Yeah pretty much in agreement there.

But its interesting though. The rush to do another album clearly wasn't necessary (1984 was still selling) so they could've gone back out in January-February and done Japan and South America.

Dave did have his plans to do CFTH but thats because there wasn't anything on the VH itinerary after September.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Right up to the end Van Halen classified their tours very much the same way as the baseball World Series whereby World = USA +Canada.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Right up to the end Van Halen classified their tours very much the same way as the baseball World Series whereby World = USA +Canada.

Love that shirt design. And yeah, thats true.

Although VH did end up playing Japan and that Australia festival gig in 2013.

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 08:29 PM
    Status
    Thanks

i think that Dave recorded the CFTH in early August ‘84? i seem to recall some Random Notes thing in Rolling Stone - well, by that I mean I looked at it in the last 10 years or so - that reported his sessions, with photos of him at somebody’s birthday bash in New York (coulda been Billy Squier). The other news was that he was next off to Europe for Monsters of Rock dates, then EVH was doing the soundtrack for one of his wife’s TV movies.

So, if I am remembering correctly, they probs decided before that just to ignore most of the rest of the world as usual.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VHscraps View Post
    i think that Dave recorded the CFTH in early August ‘84? i seem to recall some Random Notes thing in Rolling Stone - well, by that I mean I looked at it in the last 10 years or so - that reported his sessions, with photos of him at somebody’s birthday bash in New York (coulda been Billy Squier). The other news was that he was next off to Europe for Monsters of Rock dates, then EVH was doing the soundtrack for one of his wife’s TV movies.

So, if I am remembering correctly, they probs decided before that just to ignore most of the rest of the world as usual.
    I suppose Dave must have recorded CFTH prior to the 1984 European tour, if (according to Noel Monk) Dave was playing the ep to Eddie on the plane on the way back to the states from Europe at the conclusion of the 1984 tour...I think that's how the chronology went.

8. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

VHscraps (02-03-2023)

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 08:29 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I think so - I haven't read Noel Monk's book, so never knew that about Dave playing the tapes on the flight back. But I tracked down the Rolling Stone piece I mentioned. It was Dave's birthday party, held in NYC several months before the event - it was reported in a September issue of RS, but says the band were just about to go to Europe for the Monsters of Rock dates etc, so I guess the party was late July or early August 84. This was the 'Random Note' that had the photo of Dave and Madonna at his birthday party.

Never said anything about Ed and doing a sountrack for a Val film, so I misremembered that. But it did say that after VH got back from Europe Dave was going to Papua New Guinea with his Jungle Studs pals.

I think that was maybe where the cover shot on CFTH was taken? I think Dave talks about that in his book.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VHscraps View Post
    I think so - I haven't read Noel Monk's book,
    You should - it's on audible too. Who knows with anything like that but it really does ring out with veracity. He seems to have taken a lot of notes at the time and his accounts of signed VH era are probably the most accurate we will ever have.

11. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Terry (02-05-2023)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    You should - it's on audible too. Who knows with anything like that but it really does ring out with veracity. He seems to have taken a lot of notes at the time and his accounts of signed VH era are probably the most accurate we will ever have.
    It's well-worth the read, along with Van Halen Rising.

Thread Information