Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Why didn't the 1984 Tour continue after Donington?

  1. #1
    THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

    Vinnie Velvet's Avatar
    Member No
    1201
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:08 PM
    Location
    Hard Rock City
    Age
    48
    Posts
    4,322
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    138
    Thanked 367 Times in 235 Posts


    Rep Power
    26

    Why didn't the 1984 Tour continue after Donington?

    As it was originally billed as a 'World Tour', you would think they would at least play markets like Japan and even South America again.

    Or maybe the band was just too burnt out?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  2. #2
    Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Terry's Avatar
    Member No
    181
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    01-30-2023 @ 03:23 PM
    Location
    USA! USA! USA!
    Posts
    11,330
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    4,043
    Thanked 2,057 Times in 1,342 Posts


    Rep Power
    52
    I think the 1984 tour started in either January or February and ended in...August or September.

    As I recall, there weren't a lot of off-days, either...I think they had a month off between the US dates and the several shows they did do in Europe. But I think they started the US tour in mid-January and it ended in mid-July or something like that, and for each of those 6 months of the US tour they were doing 15+ gigs a month.

    Not much of a 'world tour' agreed, but they played something like 100 shows in 8 months...I think it probably was along the lines of what you said, in that the band were burnt out. Probably sick of one another before the tour even started, from what I've read.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  3. #3
    THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

    Vinnie Velvet's Avatar
    Member No
    1201
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:08 PM
    Location
    Hard Rock City
    Age
    48
    Posts
    4,322
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    138
    Thanked 367 Times in 235 Posts


    Rep Power
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I think the 1984 tour started in either January or February and ended in...August or September.

    As I recall, there weren't a lot of off-days, either...I think they had a month off between the US dates and the several shows they did do in Europe. But I think they started the US tour in mid-January and it ended in mid-July or something like that, and for each of those 6 months of the US tour they were doing 15+ gigs a month.

    Not much of a 'world tour' agreed, but they played something like 100 shows in 8 months...I think it probably was along the lines of what you said, in that the band were burnt out. Probably sick of one another before the tour even started, from what I've read.
    Yeah pretty much in agreement there.

    But its interesting though. The rush to do another album clearly wasn't necessary (1984 was still selling) so they could've gone back out in January-February and done Japan and South America.

    Dave did have his plans to do CFTH but thats because there wasn't anything on the VH itinerary after September.

  4. #4
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    Seshmeister's Avatar
    Member No
    11
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    34,171
    Status
    Online
    Thanks
    2,674
    Thanked 8,989 Times in 5,784 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    Right up to the end Van Halen classified their tours very much the same way as the baseball World Series whereby World = USA +Canada.


    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  5. #5
    THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

    Vinnie Velvet's Avatar
    Member No
    1201
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:08 PM
    Location
    Hard Rock City
    Age
    48
    Posts
    4,322
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    138
    Thanked 367 Times in 235 Posts


    Rep Power
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Right up to the end Van Halen classified their tours very much the same way as the baseball World Series whereby World = USA +Canada.


    Love that shirt design. And yeah, thats true.

    Although VH did end up playing Japan and that Australia festival gig in 2013.

  6. #6
    it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    VHscraps's Avatar
    Member No
    24706
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Online
    01-26-2023 @ 02:08 PM
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Age
    58
    Posts
    1,842
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    301
    Thanked 694 Times in 412 Posts


    Rep Power
    22
    i think that Dave recorded the CFTH in early August ‘84? i seem to recall some Random Notes thing in Rolling Stone - well, by that I mean I looked at it in the last 10 years or so - that reported his sessions, with photos of him at somebody’s birthday bash in New York (coulda been Billy Squier). The other news was that he was next off to Europe for Monsters of Rock dates, then EVH was doing the soundtrack for one of his wife’s TV movies.

    So, if I am remembering correctly, they probs decided before that just to ignore most of the rest of the world as usual.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  7. #7
    Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Terry's Avatar
    Member No
    181
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    01-30-2023 @ 03:23 PM
    Location
    USA! USA! USA!
    Posts
    11,330
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    4,043
    Thanked 2,057 Times in 1,342 Posts


    Rep Power
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by VHscraps View Post
    i think that Dave recorded the CFTH in early August ‘84? i seem to recall some Random Notes thing in Rolling Stone - well, by that I mean I looked at it in the last 10 years or so - that reported his sessions, with photos of him at somebody’s birthday bash in New York (coulda been Billy Squier). The other news was that he was next off to Europe for Monsters of Rock dates, then EVH was doing the soundtrack for one of his wife’s TV movies.

    So, if I am remembering correctly, they probs decided before that just to ignore most of the rest of the world as usual.
    I suppose Dave must have recorded CFTH prior to the 1984 European tour, if (according to Noel Monk) Dave was playing the ep to Eddie on the plane on the way back to the states from Europe at the conclusion of the 1984 tour...I think that's how the chronology went.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Best 1984 tour video?
    By silverfish in forum Bootleg Corner
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 02-15-2012, 05:32 PM
  2. The 1984 World Tour.
    By Dirty Duck in forum Main VH/DLR Discussion
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 10-07-2005, 11:45 AM
  3. The VH tour w/ sammy will continue?
    By Polk High in forum Main VH/DLR Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-12-2005, 09:28 PM
  4. 1984 tour video:
    By kcmusician in forum Main VH/DLR Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-25-2004, 09:11 PM
  5. Who wants a video of the 1984 tour?
    By kcmusician in forum Main VH/DLR Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-17-2004, 08:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •