ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:05 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,397 Times in 6,054 Posts

Roger Waters In late bid to make Van Halen band relations look good

Roger Waters has re-recorded The Dark Side of the Moon without the rest of his former Pink Floyd bandmates.

“I wrote The Dark Side of the Moon. Let’s get rid of all this ‘we’ crap!” Waters declared during an interview with The Telegraph. “Of course we were a band, there were four of us, we all contributed – but it’s my project and I wrote it. So… blah!”

Officially, Waters is credited with writing the 1973 album’s lyrics, composing three of its tracks, and co-writing two others.

The rocker was far from complimentary when discussing his former bandmates' songwriting contributions, insisting the other members of Pink Floyd couldn’t craft quality material. “Well, Nick [Mason] never pretended. But [David] Gilmour and Rick [Wright]? They can’t write songs, they’ve nothing to say. They are not artists!”

As The Dark Side of the Moon – which ranks among the most popular albums of all time – approaches its 50th birthday in March, Waters decided it was time to re-record the LP.

The Telegraph writer Tristram Fane Saunders was given a preview of the album, and reported that “parts are very good indeed.” “‘Time,’ that young man’s lament for mortality, sounds terrific with his old man’s timbre,” he noted. “‘Breathe’ is wonderfully reimagined as a slow, acoustic groove. A country-tinged ‘Money’ could be a late Johnny Cash cut, with Waters growling charismatically at the very bottom of his register.”

Still, perhaps Waters’ most jarring choice was to record spoken word poetry over The Dark Side of the Moon’s instrumental tracks.

The rocker insisted that his motive behind behind the project was to better convey the album’s central theme, following “the voice of reason.” “Not enough people recognized what it’s about, what it was I was saying then,” he opined.

A release date for the updated version of The Dark Side of the Moon has not yet been officially announced, though The Telegraph suggested it would come out sometime in May.

News of the re-record comes as Waters and Gilmour are once again embroiled in a public war of words.

Read More: Roger Waters Has Re-Recorded 'Dark Side' Without Pink Floyd | https://ultimateclassicrock.com/roge...edium=referral
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (04-21-2023)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:45 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,580 Times in 3,459 Posts

Waters says shit like this spitefully, but I cannot think of a single Water's solo album worth a shit aside from Amused to Death...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:40 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,298 Times in 4,722 Posts

Waters was definitely the better songwriter, but it's hard to imagine Dark Side of the Moon without Gilmour's vocals. Or guitar, obviously.

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:24 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I disagree with Waters too. He sounds like a rock revisionist, by stating Pink Floyd was nothing but himself.
    What about the guitar and keyboard solos?

Rick Wright once said that after listening to Waters' "The Wall" demos, he was very surprised every song was
    played in G. He added he had to work on the whole stuff before they recorded the album.
    Waters hated Wright's guts, and maybe it was for a fair part because of that.

He's the baddest rock star in his own way.

He can be cool though, now and then, as here during lockdown:

Last edited by Jérôme Frenchise; 04-21-2023 at 02:02 PM.

6. Thanked Jérôme Frenchise for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (04-21-2023)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jérôme Frenchise View Post
    I disagree with Waters too. He sounds like a rock revisionist, by stating Pink Floyd was nothing but himself.
    What about the guitar and keyboard solos?

Rick Wright once said that after listening to Waters' "The Wall" demos, he was very surprised every song was
    played in G. He added he had to work on the whole stuff before they recorded the album.
    Waters hated Wright's guts, and maybe it was for a fair part because of that.

He's the baddest rock star in his own way.

He can be cool though, now and then, as here during lockdown:

Can't speak for DSOTM but every major "hit" track on The Wall was cowritten with Gilmour aside from "Another Brick in the Wall 2" and others and while Gilmour wasn't nearly as productive as Waters writing wise, he had sensibilities and he avoided shit like Radio KAOS, which sounds extremely dated today....

In fact I think Comfortably Numb (the best song) was more or less a song that came out of a song Gilmour had been writing for a solo project...
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 04-21-2023 at 02:45 PM.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:40 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,298 Times in 4,722 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    Can't speak for DSOTM but every major "hit" track on The Wall was cowritten with Gilmour aside from "Another Brick in the Wall 2" and others and while Gilmour wasn't nearly as productive as Waters writing wise, he had sensibilities and he avoided shit like Radio KAOS, which sounds extremely dated today....

In fact I think Comfortably Numb (the best song) was more or less a song that came out of a song Gilmour had been writing for a solo project...
    Gilmour had written the music for "Comfortably Numb" for his first solo album in 1978. He came up with a vocal melody (which did make it into the song as heard on The Wall) but had no lyrics for it. Even the famous guitar solo didn't exist in the original demo...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,285 Times in 1,503 Posts

Blog Entries
    Should I want to hear DSOTM, doubtless the original recordings will continue to suffice. Zero interest in hearing Waters re-recording it.

I'd tend to think creatively Waters was more involved than Nick Mason, but the fact of the matter is it took Waters, Gilmour, Wright and Mason all doing what they did to make those Floyd albums which contained best known material the band produced happen. Doubtless, Waters wrote the majority of the lyrics for those records (probably a fair chunk of the basic song ideas as well), but as Nickd said it wasn't as if without the other three Floyd members Waters went on to create music nearly as compelling once that version of Floyd split up. Same went for the Gilmour-led version of Floyd; without Waters the music wasn't as good.

But Waters has basically had this public stance since Floyd split, in that [Waters] basically claims he did virtually everything and the other three were lucky to be there along for the ride. I never bought that, because to my ears there were plenty of guitar parts and keyboard interludes on those Floyd records that were just as vital as the basic song structures and lyrics, and I tend to doubt had Waters actually done everything those Floyd records would have sounded the way they did.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,015 Times in 3,250 Posts

Blog Entries
    Yeah it was a cool album but who cares about these old fucks?

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Yeah it was a cool album but who cares about these old fucks?
    As opposed to the other old fucks you come here to post and comment about?

Thread Information