Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kristy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

The good LAWD won't take me until a certain limey dies. I still have my fund money to fly to Limeyland to shit all over that fucker's grave.

Comment

• ZahZoo
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Shame they are all gone... Saw both Skynyrd and Molly Hatchett in their prime a bunch of times. Some of the best live performers of that era. Our former band manager for my Southern Rock band back in the 80's was a former Skynyrd roadie and backline tech... one of the toughest women in that part of the business!!

I got to spend an hour chatting with the guys in Molly Hatchett after a show at the Saddle Rack in San Jose, CA back in '83. Fun bunch of crazy guys... We had finished a west coast leg of a tour as an opening act with Marshall Tucker band and the Outlaws. Had talks with the promoters as a potential opening act for both Skynyrd and Molly Hatchet but both deals fell through.
      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
        The good LAWD won't take me until a certain limey dies. I still have my fund money to fly to Limeyland to shit all over that fucker's grave.
        Maybe your money would be better spent going to Nepal and hanging out with Buddhist Jedi warrior monks and learning shit like transcendence and letting go....

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
          Fuck this this is a dangerous band to be in at this point.
          I wonder if the current batch of replacement Skynyrds ever ride tour buses. I'm pretty fucking sure I never would!

Whoever thought their "Saturday Night Special" wouldn't turn out to be a Smith and Wesson .38 but a Prevost...
          Last edited by Nickdfresh; 03-11-2023, 02:40 PM.

Comment

• silverfish
            Foot Soldier
            • Mar 2007

Looks like there's gonna be a Skynyrd Tribute at the CMT Awards on Sunday:

Guns N’ Roses guitarist Slash and ZZ Top frontman Billy Gibbons are among the artists who will honor
            Lynyrd Skynyrd during the CMT Music Awards.

Joining the guitarists for the performance will be Wynonna Judd, Allman Brothers Band members Chuck
            Leavell and Warren Haynes, Bad Company’s Paul Rodgers, country singer Cody Johnson and LeAnn Rimes.

According to Billboard, “Johnson and Rodgers will [sing] lead vocals with Gibbons, with Slash and Haynes
            on electric guitar for a one-time-only performance of a pair of timeless Lynyrd Skynyrd hits.” They also
            noted that “Rimes and Judd will fill the role of the Honkettes,” the women singers that backed Lynyrd
            Skynyrd during their rise to fame.

Full story at:
            Slash and Billy Gibbons were among the performers announced for the CMT Music Awards' tribute to Lynyrd Skynyrd in March 2023.
            Originally posted by sadaist
            I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

Comment

• silverfish
              Foot Soldier
              • Mar 2007

LYNYRD SKYNYRD Announces Plans To Continue Following Passing Of GARY ROSSINGTON

The current members, led by Johnny Van Zant, the singer for the past 36 years, was unsure if
              they would continue following Gary's untimely passing. After much discussion with the band, the
              families of Ronnie Van Zant and Allen Collins and Dale Rossington, the collective has reached
              unified support, and feel that continuing to perform live, and keeping the music alive, is in the
              best interest of the fans and everyone involved.

Full story at:
              After the recent death of original founding member Gary Rossington, the LYNYRD SKYNYRD bandmembers and estates have been in discussion on what was next for the group and the music that is celebrating 50 years of generational history in American rock and roll. The current members, led by Johnny Van...

Looks like JVZ has a Vince Neil/Chumley vibe going on:

lynyrdskynyrdliveapril2023_638.jpg
              Originally posted by sadaist
              I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Maybe they can tour with the "zero actual members" version of Quiet Riot?
                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Rikk
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

I will always and regularly play my original and posthumous records of LS with Ronnie Van Zant singing. Their catalog has almost no bad songs at all.

The reunion band, however, started as a tribute and then tried to pretend it wasn't. They have barely ever written ANYTHING that even comes close to the original band. JVZ has none of the charisma his brother did. And I couldn't believe it when they kicked out Ed King, one of the best players they ever had.

Even worse, they were originally a Democrat-supporting band (playing Carter's inauguration or at least a fundraiser, if I recall correctly) and eventually turned into a band preaching "God & Guns" (certainly contradicts SATURDAY NIGHT SPECIAL, one of their best songs) and appearing on fuckin' Hannity.

Now they have NO original members left (I like Medlocke's work on their pre-MCA album, FIRST & LAST, but I don't really count him as an original member). They've been talking about retiring for years.

Rossington died...they say they'll continue to "keep the music alive" and that it's "for the fans." No, it's for your pocketbooks, nothing else. I guess Artimus Pyle really was right about the greed of Dale Krantz-Rossington.

Like a lot of older bands with few or no original members (I'm looking at you, Steve Howe), they just need to hang it fucking up and let Ronnie rest in peace.
                  Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                  Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Steve Howe wasn't an original member either... though to be fair about it, I couldn't name a single song from the first two Yes albums off the top of my head.
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by silverfish
                      LYNYRD SKYNYRD Announces Plans To Continue Following Passing Of GARY ROSSINGTON
                      Well I couldn't have called that one! Those heroic bastards carrying the legacy for a paycheck! You selfless sonsofbitches! Doing it for the children aren't cha'!

Comment

• Rikk
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                        Steve Howe wasn't an original member either... though to be fair about it, I couldn't name a single song from the first two Yes albums off the top of my head.
                        You're right. He's one of those rare guys that people "think of" as an original member even though they're not...like Ian Gillan & Roger Glover (joined for 4th Deep Purple album).
                        Roth Army Militia

Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Or Neil Peart.

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

As great of a drummer as Neil Peart was, his lyric writing talent probably saved the band as much as his drumming did. I love the music on Rush's first album, but some of the lyrics were almost Hagar-level weak.
                            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Rikk
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                              Or Neil Peart.
                              Yup. I love John Rutsey's playing on the 1st album...but it doesn't come close to Peart's skills.
                              Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Rikk
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                                As great of a drummer as Neil Peart was, his lyric writing talent probably saved the band as much as his drumming did. I love the music on Rush's first album, but some of the lyrics were almost Hagar-level weak.
                                Agreed. The lyrics of a song like IN THE MOOD are as embarrassing as pooping in your underwear at a Gala.

That said, I do really enjoy the debut LP. You're right the music is great on it. I tend to look past the lyrics and just enjoy the album. Lifeson plays his heart out on that LP, and Rutsey (while no Peart) is a very good drummer.
                                Roth Army Militia

Comment

Working...