X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Rikk
    Seriously, I often wonder: WHY IS HE SO FAT?

Seriously...Wolfgang is so fucking fat, joggers take laps around him for a serious work-out.
    Sitting on his ass playing video games and eating poorly. Seed oils, processed food and corn syrup and too much of it combined with little physical activity. He probably has heart disease already.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
      Playing and writing are two different things.

All the chops in the world mean nothing if the songs stink.
      Bravo! You Tube is full of bedroom virtuosos. Most of them if any will never become entertainers. It’s the whole package. You have to have songs that move people and if that was so easy more people would be doing it. Experienced songwriters wish even they knew where that lightning in the bottle comes from. Then there is presentation. You have to become something that has an impact on the public. You know you have arrived when people start copying you or you influenced a new style.

Nobody is getting wet panties over Wolfgang nor do the guys want to be him. None of his songs have made anyone go Holly Fuck! What power in the universe sent this music to us?

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Wake me up when the bras and panties start flying towards Wolfgang and men are copying him in hopes of getting laid.

Comment

• Silexxx
          Head Fluffer
          • Sep 2010

If they went back to those four albums and had Dave put all new vocals on those songs, I'd actually be pretty excited (obviously, that's a pipe dream...I don't expect it to happen...I'm just saying it hypothetically).

Soon somebody probaly will make AI Dave sing Dreams or something like this. Too bad it won't change the lyrics or vocal melody.
          Last edited by Silexxx; 03-19-2023, 04:58 AM.

Comment

• twonabomber
            formerly F A T
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

that sounds like shit
            Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Indeed! It's really pathetic...because they already weren't NEARLY the band they had been with Dave. But that live album is such a joke. You take a classic band that hasn't had a live album before and then put out this bloated, boring, lazy live LP with a REALLY dull setlist (for God's sakes, it has practically every song from F.U.C.K., which is in my opinion VH's worst-ever album). And even the individual solos on this album are the pits. Just boring arena rock crap without any of the fun that happened during the Dave tours.

To be honest, a live album just made from the New Haven show they filmed for LIVE WITHOUT A NET would have been a much better live album. It was still nowhere near the level the band had shown on the VAN HALEN II, WACF, FAIR WARNING or 1984 tours...but at least it had some good performances ("5150"). But F.U.C.K. took all the very worst elements of Van Hagar and spread them out over a bloated 2-disc mess and basically, I'm sure, made new fans who decided to check it out take a listen and say, "Uh...I don't get it. Why is this band so celebrated?" You know you're in trouble when the very few Dave-era songs on this album are just terrible. The performance of JUMP on LIVE: RHRN is embarrassing. It's such a shitty, awful performance that makes me want to punch Hagar in the face over and over again. The way he keeps yelling, "Jump on..., jump on..., jump on..." JUST SHUT THE FUCK UP! YOU OBVIOUSLY DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT MADE THIS A GREAT SONG!! YOU RUINED IT, YOU CHEESE-HEAD SON OF A BITCH!!
              I think FORD once posted here that the closing cover of Led Zeppelin's song (Rock & Roll?) may have been a studio toss off with a canned audience laugh track overlayed. I think some question as to if Van Hagar ever covered that song on that tour or if it was ever on a set list...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                That song is Woke as fuck.
                I didn't know a song about being anally violated by aliens is "Woke" or even what the definition of that is...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
                  Playing and writing are two different things.

All the chops in the world mean nothing if the songs stink.
                  Note to Yngwie...

Comment

• Terry
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

On a similar note, the Sunset Sound YouTube channel (which has really interesting stuff) had a video in which one of their engineers described an entirely-finished, mixed & compiled 4-CD archive release put together completely from outtakes from the first six albums. It was FOUR FULL CD'S FULLY MIXED AND FINISHED.

The guy said there wasn't a TON of unreleased songs in there...but there were a handful. There were also some interesting studio jams, some alternate takes of tracks like ERUPTION, CATHEDRAL, etc. And some really interesting alternate takes (a completely different and interesting alternate take of LITTLE DREAMER, a totally different version of the final master of HOT FOR TEACHER with the entire opening guitar intro doubled with Eddie's bass and a totally different vocal/lyric part by Dave for this song, etc.).

Additionally, he found the original 24-track multi-track masters to the 1977 WARNER DEMOS (26 songs). He proceeded to remix them from scratch, using the sound of the debut album's final mixes as his reference point on how to mix the '77 demos. He said they sounded beautiful. Years later, Eddie claimed they were trying to release the '77 DEMOS as a new release to promote with their 2015 tour but they couldn't find the master tapes, so they released TOKYO DOME instead. But Eddie was super-mistaken. While they didn't have the master mixes made in late '77, they had all 26 demos completely remixed by this Sunset Sound engineer from 2005 or so and could have simply used those. And Eddie forgot and communication with Warners was apparently not very good at the time.

For this set, Wolfgang doesn't even need to take time away from his shitty music or his 15 meals he eats every day. He just needs to literally give the thumbs up to finally release this amazing set...with all the outtakes, alternate takes, unreleased songs and the complete Warners '77 demos. Again, it's completely mixed and finished. The engineer was sent into the studio by Warner Bros. to compile this set in the mid 2000s (2004-2005) to do this set, completed the work and he sent finished CDs of his work to all the band members. And the band decided they didn't want this out at the time because they were still in the process of doing reunion work with Hagar and didn't want a Dave archive set "confusing the issue." So it was delayed indefinitely.

If Wolfgang gave the thumbs up to release this now, it would be one of the most exciting things to happen to Van Halen fans in ages. Since...since...since A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUTH came out 11 fucking years ago.
                    All sorts of things could have been done re: CVH-oriented releases. Should have been done, ages ago.

These days, the idea of a CVH dvd release...do people even buy dvd's anymore? Plus, so much CVH footage has leaked out already...still, I'd be a bit hard-pressed to imagine there aren't some full-length, pro-shot shows from the 1984 tour somewhere. Or old Super 8 footage or 16mm footage of the first three CVH tours sitting around in one of the CVH band members private collections.

Or all the old audio you mentioned that apparently got to the remixing stage in advance of a proposed release.

I just assume by this point none of that is ever going to see the light of day. Scratched my head as to why not for literally decades. Now, I'm resigned to having to make do with the 6 pack, the BOV1 Roth tracks, ADKOT, my own CVH audio/video boot collection and the bits and pieces that drip out and get uploaded online.
                    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                      Note to Yngwie...
                      Yeah, but he has that one phrygian mixolydian classical scale down COLD, man!
                      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• twonabomber
                        formerly F A T
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                        I think FORD once posted here that the closing cover of Led Zeppelin's song (Rock & Roll?) may have been a studio toss off with a canned audience laugh track overlayed. I think some question as to if Van Hagar ever covered that song on that tour or if it was ever on a set list...
                        Pretty sure most of RHRN was re-done in the studio. I seem to remember Hagar mentioning it.
                        Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                          Yeah, but he has that one phrygian mixolydian classical scale down COLD, man!
                          Yngwie is still living in a big house and drives several Ferraris. If that is sucking many people would like to suck that bad.

Comment

• Terry
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

Yngwie is still living in a big house and drives several Ferraris. If that is sucking many people would like to suck that bad.
                            Wouldn't deny his level of ability or success, even if he is a washed-up, speed-wanking, sped-up Blackmore clone has-been who pees sitting down.
                            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                              Wouldn't deny his level of ability or success, even if he is a washed-up, speed-wanking, sped-up Blackmore clone has-been who pees sitting down.
                              He still puts asses in seats and that’s the game. He avoided a day job for decades and he gets to go out and wank. If you are Yngwie you are living the dream.

Comment

• Terry
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Jan 2004

He still puts asses in seats and that’s the game. He avoided a day job for decades and he gets to go out and wank. If you are Yngwie you are living the dream.
                                Fair enough.
                                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...