Member No
    Last Online
    04-22-2024 @ 09:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,286 Times in 1,504 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
    I don't ever see this as an option. Ever. Would happily eat my words somewhere down the line but
    anyone holding out for this is wishing in one hand and shitting in the other.

Another no effing way. I've said it before and stick by it - the fan base for any CVH material is -
    let's face it - dying off, and in the eventuality they do release something classic, no one will will be around
    to give a shit. Or really appreciate it.

As much as I'd like to think otherwise any VH vault material will remain an eternal pipe dream. Bottom
    line is the money. The longer you wait to drop something Classic, the fewer fans will be around to pay
    whatever you ask. Your window for max cash is long gone and will never be bigger than it is today.
    On the other hand dropping clips on an official YT channel or some such would do wonders for
    fan appreciation or whatever if $$ isn't a factor.
    I had little to nothing by way of expectation from Van Halen in the 20 years leading up to Eddie passing.

Truth be told I haven't had much by way of expectation from Van Halen since I first heard 5150. I did post-1985 have some moments of anticipation.

I was hopeful that even with Roth gone, Van Halen would continue to make good music, thus I anticipated the release of the 5150 album.

I got Why Can't This Be Love instead.

I was hopeful in 1996 that when news of Hagar's departure and Roth's return was leaked, CVH would undertake a full-length album and tour.

I got Gary Cherone in the band instead.

I was hopeful for a couple of years after news of Cherone leaving the band being announced that CVH would try and reunite again.

I got a Van Hagar reunion instead.

I was hopeful following Roth rejoining in 2006 for a full-length album of new material and an eventual CVH reunion.

I got a bunch of reworked demos from the 1970s, a live album from 2013 I didn't want to hear and two more tours with Ed's kid.

There were a few moments from 1985 on where the band managed to conjure up some of the fire that attracted me to them all those years ago.

Few and far inbetween.

Overall, subverting expectations and anticipation was what the band did best after Roth left in 1985.

Should the band do nothing from here on out, it won't even be a case of disappointment for me considering the last nearly 40 years of output, rather par for the course.

2. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Rikk (03-21-2023)

Thread Information