X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • twonabomber
    formerly F A T
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I thought being an asshole was Yngwie's day job...
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
      I think FORD once posted here that the closing cover of Led Zeppelin's song (Rock & Roll?) may have been a studio toss off with a canned audience laugh track overlayed. I think some question as to if Van Hagar ever covered that song on that tour or if it was ever on a set list...
      Setlist.fm shows they did it 188 times in total.

View concert statistics of Van Halen - Rock and Roll played live. Have a look how often Rock and Roll was played!

The real point is that Roth Van Halen would never have done such a dull no brain lack of imagination cover once they were beyond playing in bars...

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
        I thought being an asshole was Yngwie's day job...

...along with unleashing the fury.
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
          He still puts asses in seats and that’s the game. He avoided a day job for decades and he gets to go out and wank. If you are Yngwie you are living the dream.
          Well then so is Woifie, isn't he?

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
            Setlist.fm shows they did it 188 times in total.

View concert statistics of Van Halen - Rock and Roll played live. Have a look how often Rock and Roll was played!

The real point is that Roth Van Halen would never have done such a dull no brain lack of imagination cover once they were beyond playing in bars...
            And choosing one of Zep's most boring formulaic, pedestrian efforts didn't help. But the opening line is just truth; "It's been a long time since I rock and roiled." Yeah, I agree...

Comment

• twonabomber
              formerly F A T
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Didn't Sam and Ed play Rock And Roll at Farm Aid?
              Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Kristy
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Rikk
                Seriously, I often wonder: WHY IS HE SO FAT?

Seriously...Wolfgang is so fucking fat, joggers take laps around him for a serious work-out.
                Bad diet. Too much sugar as a kid he looks insulin-resistant as fuck

Comment

• Kristy
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

On a similar note, the Sunset Sound YouTube channel (which has really interesting stuff) had a video in which one of their engineers described an entirely-finished, mixed & compiled 4-CD archive release put together completely from outtakes from the first six albums. It was FOUR FULL CD'S FULLY MIXED AND FINISHED.

The guy said there wasn't a TON of unreleased songs in there...but there were a handful. There were also some interesting studio jams, some alternate takes of tracks like ERUPTION, CATHEDRAL, etc. And some really interesting alternate takes (a completely different and interesting alternate take of LITTLE DREAMER, a totally different version of the final master of HOT FOR TEACHER with the entire opening guitar intro doubled with Eddie's bass and a totally different vocal/lyric part by Dave for this song, etc.).

Additionally, he found the original 24-track multi-track masters to the 1977 WARNER DEMOS (26 songs). He proceeded to remix them from scratch, using the sound of the debut album's final mixes as his reference point on how to mix the '77 demos. He said they sounded beautiful. Years later, Eddie claimed they were trying to release the '77 DEMOS as a new release to promote with their 2015 tour but they couldn't find the master tapes, so they released TOKYO DOME instead. But Eddie was super-mistaken. While they didn't have the master mixes made in late '77, they had all 26 demos completely remixed by this Sunset Sound engineer from 2005 or so and could have simply used those. And Eddie forgot and communication with Warners was apparently not very good at the time.

For this set, Wolfgang doesn't even need to take time away from his shitty music or his 15 meals he eats every day. He just needs to literally give the thumbs up to finally release this amazing set...with all the outtakes, alternate takes, unreleased songs and the complete Warners '77 demos. Again, it's completely mixed and finished. The engineer was sent into the studio by Warner Bros. to compile this set in the mid 2000s (2004-2005) to do this set, completed the work and he sent finished CDs of his work to all the band members. And the band decided they didn't want this out at the time because they were still in the process of doing reunion work with Hagar and didn't want a Dave archive set "confusing the issue." So it was delayed indefinitely.

If Wolfgang gave the thumbs up to release this now, it would be one of the most exciting things to happen to Van Halen fans in ages. Since...since...since A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUTH came out 11 fucking years ago.

This, this is what I want to see in a revamped CVH box set. Proper mixes, outtakes, demos, rare photos (if any) and interviews with Roth, Al, Ed and yes even Mike on the writing and recording sessions. Even put that Yacht Rock fucker Templeton in there. Not this overpriced Mobile Fidelity horseshit for vinyl hipsters, no "we don't give a fuck about CVH, they don't make us the money they used to" from the suits at Warner Brothers, no sub-standard "remasters", no S P A M M Y influence, no F A T Wolf Boy Man Child opinion.

Warner Brothers is a fucking joke. Wait until Disney buys them out.

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
                    Didn't Sam and Ed play Rock And Roll at Farm Aid?
                    Unfortunately, yes....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                      I think FORD once posted here that the closing cover of Led Zeppelin's song (Rock & Roll?) may have been a studio toss off with a canned audience laugh track overlayed. I think some question as to if Van Hagar ever covered that song on that tour or if it was ever on a set list...
                      Actually, that was their shitty cover of The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again"....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
                        This, this is what I want to see in a revamped CVH box set. Proper mixes, outtakes, demos, rare photos (if any) and interviews with Roth, Al, Ed and yes even Mike on the writing and recording sessions. Even put that Yacht Rock fucker Templeton in there. Not this overpriced Mobile Fidelity horseshit for vinyl hipsters, no "we don't give a fuck about CVH, they don't make us the money they used to" from the suits at Warner Brothers, no sub-standard "remasters", no S P A M M Y influence, no F A T Wolf Boy Man Child opinion.

Only if Scumcast doesn't buy them out first. At least then ADKOT would be with the rest of the catalog again, since UMG is owned by Scumcast. Similar to the string of corporate consolidations that put the Stones 60s catalog under the same corporate roof as the rest of their material finally.
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Terry
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kristy

A box set exactly as you described is literally the only way I'm gonna repurchase any of the 6 pack studio material again.
                          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                            Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

I can't believe this is the same band that wrote LOSS OF CONTROL...one of the coolest, more ferocious songs ever conceived.

(And I'm someone who defends LIVE WITHOUT A NET as having some good moments from Eddie.)
                            I remember that was one of the first things I saw on TV back in the day. Cause I hadn't listened to the entire 5150 album until '87. So when they started to release these snippets from Live Without Dave, that's when I heard some of the music (other than hearing WCTBL on the radio).

Needless to say I was like "Wtf is this". Oh how the Mighty VH had fallen.
                            =V V=
                            ole No.1 The finest
                            EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Von Halen
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

The one thing Wolfgang could do that would make me VERY interested would be to finally go through his Dad's archives and start putting together great quality archive releases. Tons of studio outtakes, live releases both from the original band (tour for the first six albums) and even a Blu-Ray release of the reunion band.

And frankly, since so much of the music in Eddie's archives is instrumental material, I hope he doesn't wait too long. I think one way he could put together an exciting new Van Halen album would be to take 10-15 top quality instrumental tracks that Eddie and Alex jammed out, overdub his own bass and backing vocals...and then GET DAVE INTO THE STUDIO (God knows, I'm sure this would be hard, but maybe he could pull off convincing Dave to come down) to lay new vocals on this unfinished instrumental material. Voila, new Van Halen album. There's enough verification that there's a SHIT-TON of material that could be whipped into shape with editing, overdubbing and remixing. But if he tried to put together an all-instrumental LP...or (even worse) if he got Cheese-Head down to do the vocals...I would love interest right there.

I love Eddie. But if they put an archive material album together, he needs Dave. That's the only way he would get fans (and the rock market in general) excited would be to piece this together into a cohesive new album with Dave singing. It's totally feasible. But he needs to stop sitting on his ass, releasing his own shitty music.

Dave isn't going to live forever.
                              Wolfgang will never do this until people stop treating him as a charity case. It may be sooner than he thinks, but probably not soon enough for us older original VH fans. I don't believe his next album will sell at all. The novelty is gone. Now if only these established acts will quit giving him a spot on their tours, we might actually get what we really want out of this moron.

Based on Dave going into the studio and wrongly rerecording the Van Halen songs like he's been doing lately, I don't think it would be hard at all to get him to do as you are suggesting. I'd imagine he'd jump at the chance. Especially if Al and Mike were involved. For Wolfgang to say there is no stuff in that vault good enough to release, because his Dad released all the best stuff, is just an ignorant thing to say. He is actually denigrating all that work his Dad has on those tapes in that studio. Funny, Ed claimed there were at least 10 albums worth of great material on those tapes, yet Wolfgang wants us to believe it's all shit and not even worth the effort. What a fucking self serving douche this fat punk is. He doesn't give one fuck about VH fan, nor does he give one fuck about all the GREAT music on those tapes in that studio. What a shame. His Mother has polluted him with fat and ignorance.

Comment

• MasonL
                                Groupie
                                • May 2022

I don't even think Sam respects himself to even compete with Dave, given he could never NOT play Roth songs live with Van Halen, and even NOW. They play either Ain't Talkin Bout Love or Unchained with The Circle or whatever. You can't get through a full show without playing a Classic Van Halen song? Enough said.

One is grade school T-ball and the other is the New York Yankees.

Comment

Working...