Yesterday @ 09:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Post Wolfgang van halen says sammy hagar era "doesn't get any respect"

WOLFGANG VAN HALEN SAYS SAMMY HAGAR ERA "DOESN'T GET ANY RESPECT"
    Ultimate Classic Rock
    March 16, 2013

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/wolf...mmy-hagar-era/

Wolfgang Van Halen has bemoaned what he sees as a lack of respect for the Sammy Hagar era of Van Halen. The topic came up during a conversation with Oklahoma City radio station KATT.

He was asked about his level of involvement with Van Halen band reissues, specifically the upcoming limited vinyl release of the Live: Right Here, Right Now album, scheduled for a Record Store Day release in April.

"[Alex Van Halen] is, obviously, he's the head honcho when it comes to making the decisions," he explained. "Obviously, I default to him on anything that he thinks is the right thing to do. But when it comes to decision-making or at least just kind of helping out, yeah, I am that sort of what would have been my dad's vote for stuff there with Al. So Al and I are kind of that team."

Live: Right Here, Right Now marks the first Van Halen reissue focusing on the band’s Van Hagar era, a fact that didn't seem lost on Wolfgang.

"That era [of Van Halen] doesn't get any respect, I don't think," he noted. "And there's a lot of amazing songs and just obviously brilliant guitar playing on a lot of that - on all of that stuff - and I think people don't give it a chance 'cause they fall into that just exhausting 'this singer is better, this singer is better' crap, when it's, like, just give it a chance. There's some really good stuff in there."

The youngest Van Halen is currently on the road with his band, Mammoth WVH. After completing their run of headlining dates, the group will open for Metallica and Pantera later this year.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

This entitled little brat needs to really shut his mouth. He continues to pretend nepotism isn't the only reason he has a touring band that is being given crucial opening slots for bigger bands who have earned their status through popularity and hard work.

Rock music is (sadly) not a prime contender for the music that is spoken about and lauded in various corners of the industry. Not any more. I don't care what the Grammys and other industry showcases think. I could care less about Rolling Stone magazine, which pretty much ignores rock music at this point, instead writing long articles about the "brilliance" of Taylor Swift and Nicki Minaj.

I do know, however, that if all rock music sounded like MAMMOTH WVH, I would not be a fan of rock music. The guy (he's not a kid, so people need to stop calling him that) is free to make whatever music he wants. His music does not sound remotely like the previous music that rolled out of 5150 Studios. I do know, however, that just because he's Eddie's son does not mean that I have to show him some sort of musical respect. I cannot stand his really generic, boring songs. He has no charisma as a singer. His playing (drums, bass, guitars) is very workmanlike, with nothing unique to bring attention to it. But, worst of all, his songs are just...dull. They're just there.

Even Van Hagar's music had a spark to it that MAMMOTH WVH does not. The singing on Van Hagar records was very workmanlike and uninteresting...but Eddie had occasional flashes of brilliance that made him continue to stand out from the pack...even if he allowed said music to be watered down by unimaginative vocal melodies, half-assed lyrics and rooms full of yes-men.

Wolfgang is constantly attacking and insulting fans for having opinions. He seems to not understand that the supply of Van Halen fans willing to give his stuff a chance is not an endless supply. The more he insults them and calls them "losers," the less of them will stick around for his music. I would venture to guess that the lion's share of people who bought his debut LP were curious Van Halen fans. If he makes it his mission in life to insult them every time it's been more than an hour since he had his last 24-inch hero sandwich, he will alienate the majority of curious fans who try to stick around.

And while he continues to attack fans for having opinions that don't align with his, "My dad was a God, my music is now and fans had better not say anything not in-line with my views on Van Halen or I will attack them" viewpoints, he then throws out his own opinions that many fans don't agree with...like his claiming that "I think people don't give it a chance 'cause they fall into that just exhausting 'this singer is better, this singer is better' crap."

What this walrus does not seem to understand is that many years ago, when Van Hagar released music, fans DID give it a chance. They listened. And they said, "I don't like this." I was 10 when 5150 was released. I was a small kid, basically. 1984 had been my favorite album. When I heard the new stuff, I didn't like it. So I didn't listen to any new Van Halen music for years. Later in the 1990s, I did eventually get the rest of the Van Halen albums and gave them a chance. I liked certain tracks (BLACK 'N' BLUE, "5150," PLEASURE DOME, AFTERSHOCK), but for the most part, I was biding my time, waiting for Dave to return. ME WISE MAGIC and CAN'T GET THIS STUFF NO MORE were the two best Van Halen songs I'd heard since I bought 1984 as a child.

This wasn't just angry fans blindly refusing to give the band a chance because Dave was gone. People listened and tried it. Van Hagar sold well when it existed. But history has (rightfully) not been kind to it. I have Sirius XM. They play tons of Van Halen material (even album cuts). I cannot remember the last time I heard a Van Hagar cut (except hearing WHY CAN'T THIS BE LOVE once a couple months back). People simply do not remember that stuff with much reverence. Yes, there is good guitar-playing in parts. But the stuff was dated by the band hiring a very 80s singer. It doesn't stand out.

Now, after whining about Van Halen fans for three solid years, he's attacking them because they never gave the Sammy stuff a chance? Shut up, Wolfgang. We don't all look up to you. We don't think your word is gold. Yes, you are biologically your dad's son. But this music has been in our lives longer than it's been in yours. We know what we like.

I'm not going to even claim that I never listen to Eddie without Dave. I do. But it's A LOT LESS OFTEN.

And I'm not going to listen to some overweight rich kid tell me off about my musical opinions.

Rikk

P.S. I'm planning on seeing Metallica this summer. The only reason I might be at a MAMMOTH WVH show is because I want to go to Soldier Field on the night that Pantera opens for Metallica (now Pantera IS an awesome band). And I care SO LITTLE about Wolfgang and his stupid band that I plan on arriving with my daughter right before Pantera goes on because I don't want to sit through a set of painfully-boring MAMMOTH WVH music.

3. 7 users say thank you to Rikk for this KICKASS post:

Kristy (03-16-2023),Nickdfresh (03-17-2023),Terry (03-17-2023),VHscraps (03-17-2023),Vinnie Velvet (03-17-2023),Von Halen (03-17-2023),ZahZoo (03-17-2023)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:29 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,613 Posts

Wolfgang has his mother's attitude toward VH fans and social media.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

5. Thanked twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

Rikk (03-16-2023)

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-16-2024 @ 07:09 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Ouch!

7. Thanked So this is love for this KICKASS post:

Rikk (03-16-2023)

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,061 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post

Rock music is (sadly) not a prime contender for the music that is spoken about and lauded in various corners of the industry. Not any more. I don't care what the Grammys and other industry showcases think. I could care less about Rolling Stone magazine, which pretty much ignores rock music at this point, instead writing long articles about the "brilliance" of Taylor Swift and Nicki Minaj.
    My favorite Republican poster is back!

Anyway, I have talked in great detail on this forum about the brilliance of Taylor Swift only to find slave FORD deleting my post.

Even Van Hagar's music had a spark to it...
    Really? When was this? By "spark" I assume corporate influence. S P A M M Y is the definition of wrought corporate mush. His lyrics are inane, cheesy and like Ms. Swift written on a notebook in their sophomore year of high school.

Wolfgang is constantly attacking and insulting fans for having opinions. He seems to not understand that the supply of Van Halen fans willing to give his stuff a chance is not an endless supply. The more he insults them and calls them "losers," the less of them will stick around for his music. I would venture to guess that the lion's share of people who bought his debut LP were curious Van Halen fans. If he makes it his mission in life to insult them every time it's been more than an hour since he had his last 24-inch hero sandwich, he will alienate the majority of curious fans who try to stick around.
    As for the F A T Wolf Man Child there is no spark to his music. I find a lot of it recycled 90s metal with a tincture of grunge. Not much original and not only that, he never paid a "due" in his entitled life. There is no...no...how can I say this...um, wisdom in his playing. Repetitive riffs are fine if you have a great middle eight part and fellow musicians to back up your talent. The F A T Wold Man Child seemed to have played all the instruments on his Woolly Mammoth debut so there's no chemistry among other players - this was manifest on his live performances. So he can finger tap and play 'Hawt for Teacher' like his daddy. Big deal. A lot of guitar players can do that. He can win over the hearts of that hack (p)Rick somebody that slave SESH likes. He can stand there with thousands of dollars of equipment that he never had to work for and dump his poop into the eyes of Classic Van Halen fans that since he came from his daddy's balls so he just a chip off the block and thus deserves to be where he is today.

I can see the F A T Wolf Man Child and S P A M M Y hooking up even they haven't already on their Grinder app in order to create a cash cow for the shit tards who to this day still believe that OUI82 was a great album. Perhaps they can write another corporate anthem together for Pepsi, you know, to recreate that spark you're talking about.

9. Thanked Kristy for this KICKASS post:

Rikk (03-16-2023)

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    He can stand there with thousands of dollars of equipment that he never had to work for and dump his poop into the eyes of Classic Van Halen fans that since he came from his daddy's balls so he just a chip off the block and thus deserves to be where he is today.
    You've managed to say in one sentence what I said in too many... That's exactly it.

Sorry to break your heart in wishing I were one of those warm-hearted Republicans. I'm afraid not.

But yes...you summed it up pretty well.

By the way, when I say "spark," I mean a relative term. I mean there are "sparks" of musical brilliance in some of the music...again, all watered-down by bad lyrics and lame singing.

If Van Hagar is a spark, Van Halen is a fire.

Wolfgang is a wet gasp of flatulence.

11. Thanked Rikk for this KICKASS post:

ashstralia (03-18-2023)

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    Yeah, they're both pretty sad.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

And cake.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    "That era [of Van Halen] doesn't get any respect, I don't think,"
    That's an odd and ironic statement coming from a Van Halen with a controlling vote in how that part of the catalog is managed today, plus how it was managed previously by his father and uncle Al...

At the time of its release... the material got the respect it deserved from the sales and touring support the fan base who were drawn to it paid out. But, most of the material didn't stand up over time in comparison to the original Van Halen line-up with Roth.

After that miserable 2004 tour, best forgotten... Ed and Al parked that whole portion of the catalog in the back yard and treated it like a gawd damned embarrassment that never happened. 18+ years later whining about it not getting respect...

You're damn right Skippy... it doesn't deserve it. This is akin to claiming a 90's Saturn S-Series was an engineering marvel of the automotive industry...
    Last edited by ZahZoo; 03-17-2023 at 09:14 AM.

15. 4 users say thank you to ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

ashstralia (03-18-2023),Rikk (03-17-2023),Vinnie Velvet (03-17-2023),Von Halen (03-17-2023)

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-18-2024 @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Fatty needs to STFU.

He's sounding more and more like his mom and a disciple of Sam.

What could be worse.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Also Fatty doesn't realize that its not just because of the singers that separate Van Hagar from the original, its also the music.

Ed came out with some really forgetful wankery during the Hagar years. A lot of lazy, uninspired playing.
    Ed's increased alcoholism didn't help but he was also not challenged on anything and didn't have the that 'tug a war', competitive aspect that he had with Dave. Which made both shine through and come out with some blistering music.

With Hagar it was the opposite. Ed was too laid back and it showed.

18. Thanked Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

ashstralia (03-18-2023)

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:42 AM
    Status
    Thanks

And it's not like those Hagar albums haven't been available this whole time. They're not like Tony Martin era of Black Sabbath that's not available for streaming. Or those early Pantera albums that didn't even get cd releases back in the day.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:35 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

I recently went to see Alter Bridge. MammothWhaleboy opened. I made sure I got to the venue after his set was over. I have no desire to see this dude perform his shitty music. Especially with his sorry ass attitude toward VH fan.

I'm a little surprised Al is releasing this. Given his obvious disdain for Clichegar.

I hate to break it to fat boy, but his "vote" doesn't count. Al will do whatever the fuck he wants to do. If fat boy wants to make himself feel better by claiming to have a vote, fine. But he obviously had zero input in this release.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

LOL on the front page of Ultimate Classic Rock

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silexxx View Post
    And it's not like those Hagar albums haven't been available this whole time. They're not like Tony Martin era of Black Sabbath that's not available for streaming. Or those early Pantera albums that didn't even get cd releases back in the day.
    Speaking of Tony Martin era Sabbath, Iommi has been working on a box set for those albums expected this year. So I imagine they will be back on streaming formats as well.

23. 2 users say thank you to Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

Silexxx (03-17-2023),So this is love (03-17-2023)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    And cake.

25. Thanked twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

Rikk (03-19-2023)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

27. Thanked twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

Rikk (03-19-2023)

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:59 PM
    Status
    Thanks

This gives me nausea :

Cap.jpg

Eddies' place occupied by lame, cheesy fuckers. Sacrilege!

29. Thanked Jérôme Frenchise for this KICKASS post:

VHscraps (03-17-2023)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I saw that, too.

It takes that many record company turds to sign a band? Maybe it was a field trip.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:11 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,560 Times in 3,448 Posts

I think Wolfie should airbrush any Sammy Hagar off that era of albums and put his picture in his place, because he's "legit!" Maybe the music will get more respect with his genius bass playing associated with it?

32. 2 users say thank you to Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

Terry (03-18-2023),ZahZoo (03-18-2023)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

You've managed to say in one sentence what I said in too many... That's exactly it.

Sorry to break your heart in wishing I were one of those warm-hearted Republicans. I'm afraid not.

But yes...you summed it up pretty well.

By the way, when I say "spark," I mean a relative term. I mean there are "sparks" of musical brilliance in some of the music...again, all watered-down by bad lyrics and lame singing.

If Van Hagar is a spark, Van Halen is a fire.

Wolfgang is a wet gasp of flatulence.
    The only fire out of Sammy would be his farts being ignited by said sparks...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

LOL on the front page of Ultimate Classic Rock
    I wish I could find that photochop pic someone posted at the links in 2007 during the reunion of with the faux-press conference pic of a table of all the members of Van Halen at it; with Dave and the cliche cheeky smile, 2004 Ed looking like he is asking for bus fare after falling out of a crackhouse, and Alex in his neck brace/dog cone. And Wolfie is at nose level at the table just so you can see his eyes peaking over it, I fucking pissed myself...
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 03-17-2023 at 05:27 PM.

35. Thanked Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

Terry (03-17-2023)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Anyway, I have talked in great detail on this forum about the brilliance of Taylor Swift only to find slave FORD deleting my post.
    Absolutely false. I would never delete any post talking about Taylor Swift. I'd be too busy laughing at it

Also, I got some weird bug going on with Firefox which won't even let me delete or edit my own posts, let alone anybody else's. It's really starting to piss me off, but not enough to force me into using a Googlespamware browser.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
    Speaking of Tony Martin era Sabbath, Iommi has been working on a box set for those albums expected this year. So I imagine they will be back on streaming formats as well.
    The demand for that material is probably even less than the demand for Van Hagar.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Thing of it is, it wasn't even up to the musicians in the various lineups of Van Halen (much less their kids or wives) back in the day as to how the public would react to the music or the lineups. It was up to the individual listeners. Always has been and still is.

I gave Van Halen with Hagar a fair shot. More than a fair shot. That lineup didn't do it for me and didn't do it for a lot of people who dug CVH. What Eddie might have thought about that one way or the other mattered not back in the day, thus what his kid or his ex-wife thinks about it now matters even less: the band puts the material out and the listener(s) decide if it's something they like or not. Plus, that LRHRN album - even by Van Hagar's diminished standards - still sucks; it's not like it's gonna get any better just because Eddie died.

It's as if Eddie's kid thinks we need to take his feelings into account or get his seal of approval as to how we approach what Van Halen as a band did. Yeah, well, tough. I still have little to no use for anything Van Halen did when Roth wasn't in the band, and that stance developed (and remains in place) strictly on my reaction to the musical output. If I had enjoyed what Van Halen did with Hagar or Cherone, then I would have enjoyed what Van Halen did with Hagar and Cherone and the whole 'who is the best singer in Van Halen' biz wouldn't have mattered to me. Same as my reaction to the Mammoth record, in that if I liked what I had heard whatever feelings I had about nepotism wouldn't have prevented me from enjoying the music.

39. 3 users say thank you to Terry for this KICKASS post:

ashstralia (03-18-2023),Rikk (03-19-2023),Silexxx (03-18-2023)

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-07-2023 @ 07:35 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 823 Posts

Funny enough, I bought EEAS and 5150 on vinyl the same day, long story…

5150 was like a curiosity, my then favourite guitarist with a whole new version and vibe.

EEAS was full of superior playing and writing, with fire and that quirky sense of humour that is uniquely DLR.

By the way, I think it’s really really super lame to pick on anyone because of what their body looks like.
    The bottom line (see what I did there?) is does the music move me… apart from the tribute song for his dad, no it doesn’t. Dime a dozen corporate writing by numbers.

41. Thanked ashstralia for this KICKASS post:

Terry (03-18-2023)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I guess I won't be going to any meet and greets soon

43. 3 users say thank you to twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

Rikk (03-19-2023),Terry (03-18-2023),ZahZoo (03-18-2023)

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-16-2024 @ 07:09 PM
    Status
    Thanks

It took me a few years digesting DLRs departure from VH but I knew they were a disfunctional bunch. I never purchased the new 5150 album in 85 or 86, then later on I gave OU812 a shot buying the cassette when it came out, I also bought the FUCK cd and cassette and even went to one of the show and I remember the arena was half empty. Finally, in '95 I brought my then girlfriend to another attempt at a Van Hagar show supporting the Balance tour and I remember back then being ridiculed by quite a few people I know to even go to that. EVH made me buy into Van Hagar (there are some great guitar work on these albums even on the VHIII) so I tried my best to like this version of a band but it doesn't grow on me nor VHIII. I cannot go past Sammy's singing and still to this day I have a hard time with his voice that sounds like chalk on blackboard noise. Van Hagar does not even stand the test of time... So yes, I think I gave Van Hagar a fair shot.

45. 4 users say thank you to So this is love for this KICKASS post:

Rikk (03-19-2023),Silexxx (03-18-2023),Terry (03-19-2023),ZahZoo (03-18-2023)

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:59 PM
    Status
    Thanks

The band made it clear on stage over the 2007-2015 period in the set lists, and I don't remember Ed ever evoking Van Hagar during those years, anyway.
    So why would Wolf deplore that it doesn't get enough respect, otherwise than in terms of royalties?... No respect = no sales = too little money in his own pockets.

That statement of his is odd as well in that he was supposed to have had some big influence on Ed in favor of Dave's comeback within the band.

Wolf looks more and more uncool.

47. 3 users say thank you to Jérôme Frenchise for this KICKASS post:

Rikk (03-19-2023),Vinnie Velvet (03-20-2023),ZahZoo (03-18-2023)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Wolfie really thinks I should "respect" THIS???

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashstralia View Post
    Funny enough, I bought EEAS and 5150 on vinyl the same day, long story…

5150 was like a curiosity, my then favourite guitarist with a whole new version and vibe.

EEAS was full of superior playing and writing, with fire and that quirky sense of humour that is uniquely DLR.

By the way, I think it’s really really super lame to pick on anyone because of what their body looks like.
    The bottom line (see what I did there?) is does the music move me… apart from the tribute song for his dad, no it doesn’t. Dime a dozen corporate writing by numbers.
    A large part of what drew me to the band back in the day was Eddie's playing.

I bought 5150 when it was released. Had only heard the Why Can't It Be Love single in advance of the album. Wasn't thrilled with the single, but I figured I hadn't been all that thrilled with the Jump single either yet ended up liking much of the 1984 album: 5150 had 3/4's of Van Halen in it, thus the chances were good that something on the record would appeal to me the way the 6 albums with Roth had.

Nope.

Conversely, I wasn't thrilled with the CFTH EP. The promo videos were entertaining, but strictly in terms of the music not what I wanted from Roth. Still isn't...it's not as if I ever have a yearning these days to revisit Coconut Grove.

A few months after 5150 came out, EEAS was released. EEAS overall (I'm Easy has always been utterly disposable to me) was much more in tune with what I wanted to hear than 5150 was and it only took one spin of EEAS for me to conclude that Roth was the one who was gonna continue to conjure up the fire and fury of Van Halen. Van Hagar were going the route of synth pop combined with hard rock tracks that couldn't stand up against what the band had created when Roth was in it.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jérôme Frenchise View Post
    The band made it clear on stage over the 2007-2015 period in the set lists, and I don't remember Ed ever evoking Van Hagar during those years, anyway.
    So why would Wolf deplore that it doesn't get enough respect, otherwise than in terms of royalties?... No respect = no sales = too little money in his own pockets.

That statement of his is odd as well in that he was supposed to have had some big influence on Ed in favor of Dave's comeback within the band.

I'll give the kid credit - not that it took a genius to realize this - for being sensible enough to realize people wanted to see Roth back in the band and sensible enough with each Roth tour to suggest throwing in different deep cuts along with the standard CVH live tunes. Apparently, Eddie's main interest in doing those last three tours was the enjoyment he got playing with his kid. Would have preferred Anthony instead of Wolfgang, but seemingly Wolfgang being in the band was a deal-breaker re: Eddie reforming with Roth (or Eddie doing anything other than sitting around his house drinking Smoking Loon and smoking himself into oblivion a la crystal meth).

Now that Eddie has passed, the only thing Wolfgang has to retain my interest is the music HE makes. His comments on the offstage relationships the members of Van Halen had (or have) isn't of any particular interest to me because Van Halen is over. If Wolfgang's music is gonna continue along the lines of the first Mammoth album, his relevance to me will be none.

At the end of the day, the music is the thing.

51. 2 users say thank you to Terry for this KICKASS post:

Rikk (03-19-2023),ZahZoo (03-18-2023)

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    ...that LRHRN album - even by Van Hagar's diminished standards - still sucks...
    Indeed! It's really pathetic...because they already weren't NEARLY the band they had been with Dave. But that live album is such a joke. You take a classic band that hasn't had a live album before and then put out this bloated, boring, lazy live LP with a REALLY dull setlist (for God's sakes, it has practically every song from F.U.C.K., which is in my opinion VH's worst-ever album). And even the individual solos on this album are the pits. Just boring arena rock crap without any of the fun that happened during the Dave tours.

To be honest, a live album just made from the New Haven show they filmed for LIVE WITHOUT A NET would have been a much better live album. It was still nowhere near the level the band had shown on the VAN HALEN II, WACF, FAIR WARNING or 1984 tours...but at least it had some good performances ("5150"). But F.U.C.K. took all the very worst elements of Van Hagar and spread them out over a bloated 2-disc mess and basically, I'm sure, made new fans who decided to check it out take a listen and say, "Uh...I don't get it. Why is this band so celebrated?" You know you're in trouble when the very few Dave-era songs on this album are just terrible. The performance of JUMP on LIVE: RHRN is embarrassing. It's such a shitty, awful performance that makes me want to punch Hagar in the face over and over again. The way he keeps yelling, "Jump on..., jump on..., jump on..." JUST SHUT THE FUCK UP! YOU OBVIOUSLY DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT MADE THIS A GREAT SONG!! YOU RUINED IT, YOU CHEESE-HEAD SON OF A BITCH!!

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

SHYBOY alone kills anything on 5150.

That's exactly what I think. Yeah, I thought the music video he released for that first single (sorry, I forgot the name) was moving...seeing all this old footage of Eddie living his life with his kid. That was kinda cool...but the song was terrible. I actually turned the sound off halfway through and just watched the footage.

NONE of the songs are remotely memorable. It BLOWS MY MIND that this man lived with Eddie Van Halen. He grew up practically INSIDE 5150 STUDIOS and ended up a very uninspired, talentless songwriter. Eddie used to rave, "Wait 'til you hear this kid! He's an incredible musician!" Well, I waited and hoped it would be something special.

I was SHOCKED at how poor the music was. If anyone in my band brought me ANY of these songs and said, "Can we try this one?", I would literally laugh and say, "No fucking way you're going to get me to sing this shit."

It's exactly what you said: corporate, rock-by-numbers crap. This kid learned NOTHING playing classic Van Halen songs for 10 years. He learned NOTHING about what makes a great song, what makes a dynamic rhythm section, nothing about what makes exciting and innovative guitar-playing.

The apple falls VERY FAR from the tree. And this fat son of a bitch who does not know how to make good music on his own IS NOT going to tell me what I should consider good taste. HE HAS NONE HIMSELF.

54. Thanked Rikk for this KICKASS post:

Von Halen (03-20-2023)

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by So this is love View Post
    Van Hagar does not even stand the test of time... So yes, I think I gave Van Hagar a fair shot.
    That's just it. Chubby Wolf thinks this is some sort of issue of dumb fans just insisting on Dave or nothing without having done their research. Trust me, Wolfgang: we've inspected and tried this music the same way you inspect and devour an 18-inch loaded pizza by yourself.

We're not just idiots who choose Dave because we're following some sort of crowd-with-pitchforks mentality. I have almost never met a fan on here that doesn't have a similar story of hoping for the best after Dave left and ending up disappointed or even disgusted after hearing inferior album after inferior album Van Hagar album in Dave's glorious wake. WE ALL TRIED. And Van Hagar failed to impress. And some people kept the circus going because their girlfriends loved WHEN IT'S LOVE or whatever or because they just wanted to hear Eddie play.

But while I still run into people all the time who tell me FAIR WARNING changed their lives, I DO NOT run into people who tell me that FOR UNLAWFUL CARNAL KNOWLEDGE changed their lives. It's polished mediocrity. Nothing more.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jérôme Frenchise View Post
    Indeed. I defended Wolf while lots of fan refused to go to Dave reunion shows because Mikey wasn't there. I viewed Mikey as a traitor, running off into the sunset with Cheese-head. I didn't care. I was just glad that Dave was back. And I loved A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUTH and still do. I think there's a lot of truth to the idea that Wolfgang kept the band going by pushing his dad and keeping Ed & Dave together. I saw three amazing VH shows with Dave over those years and they're great memories to me because I was too young (10 years old) when they broke up originally.

But the band happily (and thankfully) didn't touch ANY of the Van Hagar material during all those years playing with Wolfgang.

NOW...he wants to re-write history and tell us (as if he's some sort of authority) that we have to accept how great that material actually is? No. I'm not like some fans, who claim the band did not have one good moment during all those years with Hagar. I don't buy that. But it was a HIGHLY-INFERIOR band that severely DID NOT work in the vocal department. If they went back to those four albums and had Dave put all new vocals on those songs, I'd actually be pretty excited (obviously, that's a pipe dream...I don't expect it to happen...I'm just saying it hypothetically).

One day, Wolf will wake up and realize that just because he's Eddie's son does not mean the lion's share of Van Halen fans DO NOT GIVE A SHIT ABOUT HIS MUSIC and we DO NOT GIVE A SHIT WHEN HE TELLS US WHAT MUSIC HIS DAD MADE THAT WE HAVE TO APPRECIATE.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Wolfie really thinks I should "respect" THIS???

I can't believe this is the same band that wrote LOSS OF CONTROL...one of the coolest, more ferocious songs ever conceived.

(And I'm someone who defends LIVE WITHOUT A NET as having some good moments from Eddie.)

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I'll give the kid credit - not that it took a genius to realize this - for being sensible enough to realize people wanted to see Roth back in the band and sensible enough with each Roth tour to suggest throwing in different deep cuts along with the standard CVH live tunes. Apparently, Eddie's main interest in doing those last three tours was the enjoyment he got playing with his kid. Would have preferred Anthony instead of Wolfgang, but seemingly Wolfgang being in the band was a deal-breaker re: Eddie reforming with Roth (or Eddie doing anything other than sitting around his house drinking Smoking Loon and smoking himself into oblivion a la crystal meth).

Now that Eddie has passed, the only thing Wolfgang has to retain my interest is the music HE makes. His comments on the offstage relationships the members of Van Halen had (or have) isn't of any particular interest to me because Van Halen is over. If Wolfgang's music is gonna continue along the lines of the first Mammoth album, his relevance to me will be none.

At the end of the day, the music is the thing.
    The one thing Wolfgang could do that would make me VERY interested would be to finally go through his Dad's archives and start putting together great quality archive releases. Tons of studio outtakes, live releases both from the original band (tour for the first six albums) and even a Blu-Ray release of the reunion band.

And frankly, since so much of the music in Eddie's archives is instrumental material, I hope he doesn't wait too long. I think one way he could put together an exciting new Van Halen album would be to take 10-15 top quality instrumental tracks that Eddie and Alex jammed out, overdub his own bass and backing vocals...and then GET DAVE INTO THE STUDIO (God knows, I'm sure this would be hard, but maybe he could pull off convincing Dave to come down) to lay new vocals on this unfinished instrumental material. Voila, new Van Halen album. There's enough verification that there's a SHIT-TON of material that could be whipped into shape with editing, overdubbing and remixing. But if he tried to put together an all-instrumental LP...or (even worse) if he got Cheese-Head down to do the vocals...I would love interest right there.

I love Eddie. But if they put an archive material album together, he needs Dave. That's the only way he would get fans (and the rock market in general) excited would be to piece this together into a cohesive new album with Dave singing. It's totally feasible. But he needs to stop sitting on his ass, releasing his own shitty music.

Dave isn't going to live forever.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    I can't believe this is the same band that wrote LOSS OF CONTROL...one of the coolest, more ferocious songs ever conceived.

(And I'm someone who defends LIVE WITHOUT A NET as having some good moments from Eddie.)
    That song is Woke as fuck.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    Why is Wolfgang relevant to anything? By the time daddy’s sperm found mommy’s egg Van Halen had been in a devolved stage of shame for years. The kid never experienced anything good. It’s why he’s fat, lacks charisma and is boring as fuck. He grew up on Van Hagar music. The kid never had a chance. He’s a dreg of waste from a sad situation. Dad got fagged up with Sam and became a lame example for the youth. Sam pollution. It’s completely devastating. Greta should be pointing her finger at Sam yelling how dare you! You have destroyed the planet!
    Last edited by Nitro Express; 03-19-2023 at 04:25 AM.

Thread Information