No announcement yet.

Wolfgang van halen says sammy hagar era "doesn't get any respect"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And Wolf, as some have stated here, has no business talking about music from before he was even a fertilized egg. I mean he's talented. But my God, he was not only put on the pedestal, he was born on it. Dude has no clue about what it takes to get to the top. Somebody should disable his social media because he just continues to dig his own hole. Says a lot about his music if he's gotta talk so much online.

Comment

Originally posted by Von Halen View Post
      Wolfgang will never do this until people stop treating him as a charity case.
      More like his name precedes him. He knows by now no on wants to hear him play his own material (which is unoriginal and blows) and only hear him do the guitar parts his father invented. Exactly why Dave "Yellow Teeth" Grohl exploited him, why he went before a crowd of 70,000 in Limeyland and hammered out the CVH hits. You know S P A M M Y wants to do the same. I'd give this guy more respect if he was in a band with a solid songwriter and toured constantly paying dues in every shitty dive bar in the country. Goes back to when Roth was telling his stories of the early, early VH days of starving, being payed little and being hungry. Success must be earned. One thing the F A T Wolf Man Child is not hungry - not when you are born with a silver spoon in your mouth

Comment

Originally posted by Von Halen View Post
        Wolfgang will never do this until people stop treating him as a charity case. It may be sooner than he thinks, but probably not soon enough for us older original VH fans. I don't believe his next album will sell at all. The novelty is gone. Now if only these established acts will quit giving him a spot on their tours, we might actually get what we really want out of this moron.

Based on Dave going into the studio and wrongly rerecording the Van Halen songs like he's been doing lately, I don't think it would be hard at all to get him to do as you are suggesting. I'd imagine he'd jump at the chance. Especially if Al and Mike were involved. For Wolfgang to say there is no stuff in that vault good enough to release, because his Dad released all the best stuff, is just an ignorant thing to say. He is actually denigrating all that work his Dad has on those tapes in that studio. Funny, Ed claimed there were at least 10 albums worth of great material on those tapes, yet Wolfgang wants us to believe it's all shit and not even worth the effort. What a fucking self serving douche this fat punk is. He doesn't give one fuck about VH fan, nor does he give one fuck about all the GREAT music on those tapes in that studio. What a shame. His Mother has polluted him with fat and ignorance.
        Wolfgang was born with too many advantages for me to ever look at him as a charity case. Even after Eddie passed and that first Mammoth track was released as a tribute, I didn't let sentimentality cloud my judgment re: how I felt about the track, which - like the rest of the album - struck me as forgettable. Not gonna go the hyperbole route and say the stuff was 'the worst rock music EVER' but none of it was anything I'm ever gonna want to hear again, because none of it made me WANT to hear any of it ever again. All I'd want as a listener is for Wolfgang to do whatever it is he wants to do musically. Same as I'd want from any other musical act. Write it and record it the way you want to, release it and I'll judge if it's something I like on the merits.

I wouldn't be opposed to Roth listening to whatever home recordings Ed and Al had made which are 'in the can' and taking a pass at them, or making a run at them re: lyrics/vocals. I'd tend to wonder how fruitful this would be in that while I don't know much as to how ADKOT was made I'd have to imagine Roth listened to a lot of those recordings already when that album was being produced. Yeah, Ed claimed at various points there were anywhere from 3 to 10 album's worth of material ready to go, but Ed made all sorts of dubious claims: if the material on those tapes is along the lines of the stuff that ended up on VHIII or the BOBW 2004 Hagar tracks or lesser stuff on ADKOT such as The Trouble With Never...well, 'great' isn't a word I'd associate with that stuff.

The key factor is the word lazy. If the members of Van Halen couldn't - for whatever multitude of reasons - even greenlight a project along the lines of restoring old CVH concert footage for a dvd release (and it's not like the band themselves would have had to physically restore the footage themselves) I'm thinking the odds of getting the remaining members of Van Halen to listen to hours of Eddie demos, put in the requisite work together to expand on said demos and actually record something new...I mean, shit, the CVH lineup couldn't even get their shit together enough to do a no-brainer CVH reunion that didn't involve any new material. Took 'em 20 years of fumbling around post-1996 to even get THAT to the talking stage. Now, 3 years after Eddie has passed and they are approaching 70 years old?

I suppose anything could happen, but surely not.
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Originally posted by Kristy View Post
          You know S P A M M Y wants to do the same. I'd give this guy more respect if he was in a band with a solid songwriter and toured constantly paying dues in every shitty dive bar in the country.
          Spam's "new band" might be Hall & Cheese.....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

Originally posted by Terry View Post
            I wouldn't be opposed to Roth listening to whatever home recordings Ed and Al had made which are 'in the can' and taking a pass at them, or making a run at them re: lyrics/vocals.
            I don't ever see this as an option. Ever. Would happily eat my words somewhere down the line but
            anyone holding out for this is wishing in one hand and shitting in the other.

The key factor is the word lazy. If the members of Van Halen couldn't - for whatever multitude of reasons - even greenlight a project along the lines of restoring old CVH concert footage for a dvd release (and it's not like the band themselves would have had to physically restore the footage themselves) I'm thinking the odds of getting the remaining members of Van Halen to listen to hours of Eddie demos, put in the requisite work together to expand on said demos and actually record something new...
            Another no effing way. I've said it before and stick by it - the fan base for any CVH material is -
            let's face it - dying off, and in the eventuality they do release something classic, no one will will be around
            to give a shit. Or really appreciate it.

As much as I'd like to think otherwise any VH vault material will remain an eternal pipe dream. Bottom
            line is the money. The longer you wait to drop something Classic, the fewer fans will be around to pay
            whatever you ask. Your window for max cash is long gone and will never be bigger than it is today.
            On the other hand dropping clips on an official YT channel or some such would do wonders for
            fan appreciation or whatever if $$ isn't a factor.
            Originally posted by sadaist
            I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

Comment

Originally posted by silverfish View Post
              I don't ever see this as an option. Ever. Would happily eat my words somewhere down the line but
              anyone holding out for this is wishing in one hand and shitting in the other.

Another no effing way. I've said it before and stick by it - the fan base for any CVH material is -
              let's face it - dying off, and in the eventuality they do release something classic, no one will will be around
              to give a shit. Or really appreciate it.

As much as I'd like to think otherwise any VH vault material will remain an eternal pipe dream. Bottom
              line is the money. The longer you wait to drop something Classic, the fewer fans will be around to pay
              whatever you ask. Your window for max cash is long gone and will never be bigger than it is today.
              On the other hand dropping clips on an official YT channel or some such would do wonders for
              fan appreciation or whatever if $$ isn't a factor.
              I had little to nothing by way of expectation from Van Halen in the 20 years leading up to Eddie passing.

Truth be told I haven't had much by way of expectation from Van Halen since I first heard 5150. I did post-1985 have some moments of anticipation.

I was hopeful that even with Roth gone, Van Halen would continue to make good music, thus I anticipated the release of the 5150 album.

I got Why Can't This Be Love instead.

I was hopeful in 1996 that when news of Hagar's departure and Roth's return was leaked, CVH would undertake a full-length album and tour.

I got Gary Cherone in the band instead.

I was hopeful for a couple of years after news of Cherone leaving the band being announced that CVH would try and reunite again.

I got a Van Hagar reunion instead.

I was hopeful following Roth rejoining in 2006 for a full-length album of new material and an eventual CVH reunion.

I got a bunch of reworked demos from the 1970s, a live album from 2013 I didn't want to hear and two more tours with Ed's kid.

There were a few moments from 1985 on where the band managed to conjure up some of the fire that attracted me to them all those years ago.

Few and far inbetween.

Overall, subverting expectations and anticipation was what the band did best after Roth left in 1985.

Should the band do nothing from here on out, it won't even be a case of disappointment for me considering the last nearly 40 years of output, rather par for the course.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

I had little to nothing by way of expectation from Van Halen in the 20 years leading up to Eddie passing.
                Should the band do nothing from here on out, it won't even be a case of disappointment for me considering the last nearly 40 years of output, rather par for the course.
                Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.
                We got what they gave and - bottom line, like it or not - that's all there is to it.
                I get that that is all any fan can/should "expect" of a creator but fer chrissakes it doesn't make it any easier.
                Originally posted by sadaist
                I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

Comment

The kid is teasing an announcement on 3/23.
                  Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

Looks like a new music video with three different Wolfie's... again. Because.. you know? He played all the instruments on the album.. like his hero.. Dave Grohl. Again.

Comment

We can day dream all day about the potential gems sitting in the VH vaults... There's a fully mixed, mastered and packaged box set of the studio outtakes from the Dave era that could be released tomorrow... but it sits in WB's vault on hold since 2004.

Right now, Wolfgang isn't key holder for releasing any Van Halen or his father's material. Alex is in the drivers seat until he joins Ed...

The 03-22-2023 the kid™ is posting on social media is for a MammothWVH release. Oh fuckin Yippy...
                      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

Originally posted by Silexxx View Post
                        https://twitter.com/WolfVanHalen/sta...195572226?s=20

Looks like a new music video with three different Wolfie's... again. Because.. you know? He played all the instruments on the album.. like his hero.. Dave Grohl. Again.
                        Again? He did a video like that. He's out of ideas already?

Last edited by twonabomber; 03-21-2023, 09:03 AM.
                        Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

Now, that is the sound of a Montrose cover band.

Comment

Originally posted by twonabomber View Post
                            Again? He did a video like that. He's out of ideas already?
                            And he even stole that idea from Ronnie Wood......

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

Originally posted by Nickdfresh View Post
                              And choosing one of Zep's most boring formulaic, pedestrian efforts didn't help. But the opening line is just truth; "It's been a long time since I rock and roiled." Yeah, I agree...
                              I also resent how he says "this is a song by some old friends of ours" in the video...as if those guys gave a flying fuck about Sammy Hagar.
                              Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                              Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

Originally posted by FORD View Post
                                Actually, that was their shitty cover of The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again"....

Truly a terrible cover version. Captures absolutely NONE of the brilliance of The Who's original composition and performance. And this coming from a band who made tons of 70s rock originals great in their club days, with really nice versions of songs like The Stones' IF YOU CAN'T ROCK ME, Bad Company's ROCK STEADY...and their never-ending ability to make great new versions of classic Kinks songs.
                                Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                                Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

Working...
                                X