X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
    I bet Kenny Loggins didn't decide 15 years ago to change the vocal melodies to those songs. I don't understand why he doesn't realize that every single time he does that it just sounds like a mistake.

As far as people being bored - it's a corporate gig he's not playing to his own audience it's a cross section of all sorts of people.
    Re: Loggins - nope, he didn't. When I saw him perform a week ago, virtually all of it was in the original recorded keys (save for I'm Alright, which was dropped down to what sounded like a half-step from the original recording) and sung in the original recorded melodies.

Corporate gig or not, the lack of enthusiasm from both the performers and audience alike was well-earned and reciprocated.

Granted, to roughly paraphrase what Nitro said, it'd be unfair to compare Roth to Loggins because neither are really stylistically comparable. That corporate gig is just a logical extension of the determination I made a decade ago when seeing the ADKOT show I saw, in that Dave simply is either unable or unwilling to sing the tunes either in key or follow the melody. It was one thing when he was fronting CVH and had the off-note here and there and could cover it up with some karate moves or some banshee screams. Now, Dave has nothing left in the arsenal.

Alas, the odd corporate gig gives him something to do - I'm assuming he doesn't particularly need the money - and if whoever wants to pay him whatever to show up it doesn't lighten my pockets any. I'm just way too far past the point of giving the benefit of the doubt to delude myself there are any diamonds in that dogshit far as paying my money to see it goes.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
      Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Silexxx

You Really Got Me
      Dave sounds as good as he possibly can at this stage in his life. It isn't that bad.

At least we can say he's not synching like Paul Stanley or some others.
      =V V=
      ole No.1 The finest
      EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Rikk
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
        I saw part of a OU812 show and walked out during the drum solo. I couldn’t take any more of it. Sammy thought he was hot shit but he was just annoying. Ed looked like some fag with a stupid red and white striped shirt. Mike discovered his inner faggot without Dave there to discipline that gimp. Naw it just sucked donkey balls. I found a bar and numbed the pain of what I experienced.
        I never watched a Van Hagar gig until I watched the home video for LIVE: RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW. I had literally completely ignored the band (besides hearing the odd song) since Dave left.

When I watched RHRN, I remember thinking: "Is this a joke? What the hell is this shit? This CANNOT be real. Do they really think this is good?"
        Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
        Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Rikk
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

I suppose it didn't help that the album that is WHOLLY represented in that home video, FOR UNLAWFUL CARNAL KNOWLEDGE, is (to me) the worst Van Halen album ever. Worse than VH III. And they play every song from that album in that home video. Every fucking song.

A year or so later, I finally saw LIVE WITHOUT A NET. I had two VCRs and my buddy & I went and rented a bunch of concert videos we didn't own so we could copy them (this was the early 90s). I think we rented 10 tapes and one of them (I was curious because I had friends telling me that LIVE WITHOUT A NET was so much better than RHRN) was NET. My buddy and I watched it. I did say, "This is a LOT better than the new home video...but it still isn't Dave." We didn't have the setlist...just the tape in a rental cover. My buddy summed it up best when the video was finished and he said angrily, "There are TWO Roth songs in this video. Fucking TWO! I'm going downstairs to get a beer."
          Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
          Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
            Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Rikk
            I suppose it didn't help that the album that is WHOLLY represented in that home video, FOR UNLAWFUL CARNAL KNOWLEDGE, is (to me) the worst Van Halen album ever. Worse than VH III. And they play every song from that album in that home video. Every fucking song.

A year or so later, I finally saw LIVE WITHOUT A NET. I had two VCRs and my buddy & I went and rented a bunch of concert videos we didn't own so we could copy them (this was the early 90s). I think we rented 10 tapes and one of them (I was curious because I had friends telling me that LIVE WITHOUT A NET was so much better than RHRN) was NET. My buddy and I watched it. I did say, "This is a LOT better than the new home video...but it still isn't Dave." We didn't have the setlist...just the tape in a rental cover. My buddy summed it up best when the video was finished and he said angrily, "There are TWO Roth songs in this video. Fucking TWO! I'm going downstairs to get a beer."
            The band really did look ridiculous and gay at that point. Wearing those pajama pants. Sam doing jumping jacks. Good lord it was bad.

I remember seeing Cock Walks In from that concert first as it was one of the videos that was played in rotation and wondering to myself "wtf happened to Van Halen??"
            =V V=
            ole No.1 The finest
            EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
              The band really did look ridiculous and gay at that point. Wearing those pajama pants. Sam doing jumping jacks. Good lord it was bad.

I remember seeing Cock Walks In from that concert first as it was one of the videos that was played in rotation and wondering to myself "wtf happened to Van Halen??"
              It made a Pride parade in the Castro District of San Francisco look straight. Sammy was transgender before it became the big thing. You don’t need surgery or therapy to lose your balls and testosterone. You just need to watch some Van Hagar videos.
              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                It made a Pride parade in the Castro District of San Francisco look straight. Sammy was transgender before it became the big thing. You don’t need surgery or therapy to lose your balls and testosterone. You just need to watch some Van Hagar videos.
                No doubt. LOL
                =V V=
                ole No.1 The finest
                EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Terry
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Rikk

Live Without A Net I watched quite a bit when it was first released, primarily because it had plenty of footage focusing on Ed's hands and fretwork, keeping in mind back then that there wasn't much available along those lines outside of the Oakland stuff (I didn't know anybody back then who had - say - the full US Fest set on VHS or anything like that), and by 1987 or whenever Live Without A Net was released, MTV wasn't really playing the Oakland videos much anymore.

Live Right Here Right Now I remember renting from a Blockbuster video shortly after it hit the home video market. Think I watched it twice. While FUCK had a few good tracks from an instrumental standpoint (and at least wasn't slathered in synth pop) most of the album sounded like the band were recycling old CVH material. I remember hearing...what the fuck was it...Standing On Top Of The World and thinking the intro riff sounded like the Jump outro guitar riff and the rest of the tune sorta sounded like the retarded cousin of Dance The Night Away. Half of the tunes - even putting Hagar's vocals/lyrics to one side - sounded fobbed off, like the band weren't even trying.

I thought the instrumentation to Poundcake, Runaround, Pleasuredome and even Right Now weren't terrible as musical ideas, but alas much like the rest of the Sam Halen stuff even when I found tunes that I liked from an instrumental standpoint, Hagar would add his lame lyrics and mid-range screech to them and ruin the tunes. I personally never understood why so many people back then thought Hagar was such a better singer than Roth...other than Hagar having a higher natural key he sung in vs. Roth, which is what people would always point out. But even with that I never understood why that factor made Hagar 'better' or whatever.
                  Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...