Last Online
    Today @ 09:55 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,752 Times in 2,062 Posts

Blog Entries

No More Who In America

"pull my finger"

Frontman and yes, all around decent guy Rodger Dodger Daltery says "fuck touring in America anymore." Daltery, ex drug addict, hippie, bad actor and mass murderer in Cincinnati told the hacks at USA Today

"I don’t know if we’ll ever come back to tour America," Daltrey says. "There is only one tour we could do, an orchestrated 'Quadrophenia' to round out the catalog. But that’s one tall order to sing that piece of music, as I’ll be 80 next year and most likely dead after that. I never say never, but at the moment it’s very doubtful."

Touring has become very difficult since COVID," he continues. "We cannot get insured and most of the big bands doing arena shows,and we want more money from TicketMasturbator. For fuck's sake, by the time they do their first show and rehearsals and get the staging and crew together, all the buses and hotels, you’re upwards $600,000 to a million in the hole and gullible Americans have the money they used to. Gee, thanks, Obama. To earn that back, if you’re doing a 12-show run or another Republican tax break; you don’t start to earn it back until the seventh or eighth show. That’s just how the business, I mean TicketMasturbator works. The trouble now is if you get COVID after the first show, you’ve (lost) that money. Thanks again, Obama."

Eh, fuck them.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:57 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,296 Times in 4,721 Posts

They should have stopped touring after they ruined the Super Bowl halftime show forever. Since then, there hasn't been an actual musician on that stage, just autotuned lip-syncing bullshit.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:50 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 486 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    They should have stopped touring after they ruined the Super Bowl halftime show forever. Since then, there hasn't been an actual musician on that stage, just autotuned lip-syncing bullshit.
    I saw The Who in 5th row in 2015. It was an amazing show. Yes, the SuperBowl sucked. But they were fully live when I saw them in '15, Roger sang pretty well for his age. I even saw the soundcheck. Good setlist too.

The Who is NOT the band they were decades ago. But I was three when Keith died. I'm just glad I've had the live experiences I've had seeing the band. And each show I saw was a real show.

What makes me sick about Crue (and that piece of crap Nikki Sixx) is his all-out-attack mode every time someone calls his band out for not being a remotely live band. He's a liar and a fraud and actually believe people are being bad to HIM for pointing out that he's ripping his fans off.

When I saw The Who, their was live playing, still plenty of improvisation...and Townshend still can really play the guitar.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,579 Times in 3,458 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post

"pull my finger"

Frontman and yes, all around decent guy Rodger Dodger Daltery says "fuck touring in America anymore." Daltery, ex drug addict, hippie, bad actor and mass murderer in Cincinnati told the hacks at USA Today

Now you are just making shit up. Roger was never a drug addict and in fact attacked Keith Moon for being too fucked up to perform in the late 60's. He also chided Townsend and Entwistle for excessive drinking and drug use. Daltry certainly drank and maybe did a few drugs, but he was nowhere near the rest of the band and was nearly fired after punching out Moon. The band came to an agreement where they wouldn't party much before gigs and Townsend became the physical leader of The Who after that as Daltry kept everything in line up until maybe 1968. The funny thing is is that it was Daltry that took Moon's death the hardest and could never stand Kenny Jones' drumming. Roger was also far from a hippy as were the rest. They were fucking Mods!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

They certainly started out as mods, but that fringe suede jacket Roger used to wear back in the late 60s, that was about as "hippy" as it gets.....

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:17 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,014 Times in 3,249 Posts

Blog Entries
    My brother in law asked me if I knew who Roger Daltery was. He knew I was into rock bands which were not his thing. He’s a concert pianist and is more into Broadway and the fine arts sort of stuff. I go oh yeah he’s the singer for The Who.

He goes I met him at the hotel I was staying at and we just ended up talking and he’s just fascinating. I’m like really?

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I was reading an interview with John Entwistle who loved to crank his big ol bass rig. He said Roger would beg him to turn down and he would always refuse. He goes I drove the man mad.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:50 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 486 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    My brother in law asked me if I knew who Roger Daltery was. He knew I was into rock bands which were not his thing. He’s a concert pianist and is more into Broadway and the fine arts sort of stuff. I go oh yeah he’s the singer for The Who.

He goes I met him at the hotel I was staying at and we just ended up talking and he’s just fascinating. I’m like really?
    Roger is notorious for being a pretty nice, down-to-Earth guy.

People love to rag on The Who but their last album was pretty damn good. And they still play great shows.

Back some years ago, this website that used to film shows and release the DVD of the show a few days later (filming every night of the tour) was going out of business. They were clearing out these big boxes full of DVDs (each box contained a DVD of every night of that particular tour) and they were practically giving them away. So, I bought four boxes for relatively very little...four different tours (or at least legs of each tour...e.g. European, American) from 2006 to 2007. The setlists were similar each night, but they would change it up. AND...they did improvise a fair amount, Townshend would play different solos for each song, Roger (or Pete) would tell different stories.

There must be close to 150 gigs there. Have I watched them all? Fuck no. But sometimes, I'll go do some work in the mancave and put one of those gigs on in the home theater...and they're still really fucking good.

Do I wish they did that during the LIVE AT LEEDS era instead? Sure. But I'm pretty unapologetic about being a Who fan.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Well he made an impression on my brother in law who really doesn’t have a very positive view of rock and rollers. He said Roger was great to talk with.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I like the early WHO. Live at Leads. Isle of Wight. Back when Pete played an SG through stacks of High Watts.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The Who were arguably the best live band on the planet for a while. Their only true competition was the Mick Taylor era Rolling Stones. They lost half their "power" as a live act when Keith Moon died. And the other half when Entwistle died because he was too old to combine coke & hookers at the same time. Kenny Jones was a great drummer with The Faces, but not a good fit for the Who. Ringo's kid might be a better fit, but without The Ox, it doesn't matter. Let alone Roger struggling to hit the notes.

Pete is still playing fairly well, which is ironic, since he was supposedly going deaf in the late 80s, outsourced his leads to a hired gun guitar player, and relegated himself to acoustic for most of that embarrassing 1989 tour. And when he tried to play electric... well, I was at that Tacoma Dome show where he crucified his hand with his own whammy bar. Sad to say it was the most exciting thing that happened in that entire show. It's a damn shame I never got to see an ACTUAL Who concert (except via DVD & streaming, of course)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

After all, this performance actually caused the Rolling Stones to cancel their own TV special, and keep it locked in a vault until the mid 90s (though this bit actually got leaked out by The Who in their own movie, "The Kids Are Alright")

13. 2 users say thank you to FORD for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (04-12-2023),Nitro Express (04-12-2023)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    After all, this performance actually caused the Rolling Stones to cancel their own TV special, and keep it locked in a vault until the mid 90s (though this bit actually got leaked out by The Who in their own movie, "The Kids Are Alright")

Yeah Mick took this and buried it. I love how Moon does ticky tack on the floor tom and then tosses it.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    The Who were arguably the best live band on the planet for a while. Their only true competition was the Mick Taylor era Rolling Stones. They lost half their "power" as a live act when Keith Moon died. And the other half when Entwistle died because he was too old to combine coke & hookers at the same time. Kenny Jones was a great drummer with The Faces, but not a good fit for the Who. Ringo's kid might be a better fit, but without The Ox, it doesn't matter. Let alone Roger struggling to hit the notes.

Pete is still playing fairly well, which is ironic, since he was supposedly going deaf in the late 80s, outsourced his leads to a hired gun guitar player, and relegated himself to acoustic for most of that embarrassing 1989 tour. And when he tried to play electric... well, I was at that Tacoma Dome show where he crucified his hand with his own whammy bar. Sad to say it was the most exciting thing that happened in that entire show. It's a damn shame I never got to see an ACTUAL Who concert (except via DVD & streaming, of course)
    I never got why Pete started playing a Strat. He’s a power chord guy. Best to use a Gibson for that and whammy bars are dangerous if you are doing windmills.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Seemed like everybody was playing SGs at the end of the 60s. Pete Townsend, Mick Taylor, Jerry Garcia, and of course Tony Iommi, just to name a few off the top of my head. Within a year or two only Iommi was still playing them. Pete switched to Les Paul, then to a Strat. Taylor to Les Paul, and Jerry played a Strat for a few years before he changed to his custom made "Wolf" guitar. (Bad move in my opinion, his best guitar sound was with the Strat on the 72 & 73 tours)

Of course a few years later, Angus Young showed up and gave the SG a whole new lease on life. But he & Iommi are the only "famous" guitar players I can think of off the top of my head who still use that as their main instrument.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    04-02-2024 @ 03:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,619 Posts

Thread Information