SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:54 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,579 Times in 3,458 Posts

DLR EEAS Live Detroit 1986

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. 3 users say thank you to Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (09-30-2023),Rikk (10-02-2023),ZahZoo (09-30-2023)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:44 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,284 Times in 1,502 Posts

Blog Entries
    Very much of it's time in a lot of ways.

Like, I remember back then when I was in my mid-teens and at the apex of worshipping hard rock guitarist gunslingers that the EEAS album and what Vai and Sheehan were doing was absolutely jaw-dropping and I couldn't get enough of it.

These days, there's only so much of that technique-based showoff wankery I can listen to, even knowing the context of the times and all of that...like, a lot of what Vai did on EEAS didn't age well for me because so much of it seemed pointedly rushed so we could get to another solo that was...pointedly rushed.

As I got older, far as rock guitar goes I began to gravitate more toward the type of solos that have melody and sing...that sort of tell a story in and of themselves.

A bit of flash is fine, but EEAS and Vai...like, when the band focused and locked into some solid grooves and concentrated on the tunes EEAS really shined. Yankee Rose, Ladies Night In Buffalo, Crazy From The Heat, the cover of Tobacco Road. THOSE are the high points for me. The rest is just overkill: although I loved it all circa 1986 I honestly don't think I could get through, like, Elephant Gun or Big Trouble or Bump 'n Grind or even Shyboy in terms of listening to those tunes now. Weird, considering back then circa 1982 to 1987 I was totally into that 'fastest rock guitar in the world' approach.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:51 AM
    Status
    Thanks

This sounds a lot better than what had been available so far, as far as I know.

Yankee Rose - guitar solo - bass solo - ATBL - Goin' crazy

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:50 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,046 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Very much of it's time in a lot of ways.

Like, I remember back then when I was in my mid-teens and at the apex of worshipping hard rock guitarist gunslingers that the EEAS album and what Vai and Sheehan were doing was absolutely jaw-dropping and I couldn't get enough of it.

These days, there's only so much of that technique-based showoff wankery I can listen to, even knowing the context of the times and all of that...like, a lot of what Vai did on EEAS didn't age well for me because so much of it seemed pointedly rushed so we could get to another solo that was...pointedly rushed.

As I got older, far as rock guitar goes I began to gravitate more toward the type of solos that have melody and sing...that sort of tell a story in and of themselves.

A bit of flash is fine, but EEAS and Vai...like, when the band focused and locked into some solid grooves and concentrated on the tunes EEAS really shined. Yankee Rose, Ladies Night In Buffalo, Crazy From The Heat, the cover of Tobacco Road. THOSE are the high points for me. The rest is just overkill: although I loved it all circa 1986 I honestly don't think I could get through, like, Elephant Gun or Big Trouble or Bump 'n Grind or even Shyboy in terms of listening to those tunes now. Weird, considering back then circa 1982 to 1987 I was totally into that 'fastest rock guitar in the world' approach.
    I can appreciate this point.

I mean, one of the things I love about Eddie is how...musical and melodic he is.

One of the two guitarists in my band asked me recently my favorite guitarists.

I said:
    1) Ritchie Blackmore
    2) Ace Frehley
    3) Eddie Van Halen

He was shocked. He was like, "Ritchie Blackmore? Ace? Really? WHY?"

He likes those bands but he couldn't understand how those top two really stood out to me so much. My guitarist is very much a technically-excellent player (also melodic). But, to him, naming favorite guitarists has to do with doing technical wizardry that other players can't do.

And, as I'm a singer (and drummer), I don't listen to guitarists just for technical wizardry. Sometimes, I just love the feel of a guitar solo...or the melody involved.

Blackmore can do a guitar solo in even some of his lesser songs (I love Rainbow, but they're not nearly as consistent as Purple) and his solo will just elevate the entire song. There's such a feel to his playing. He (and Frehley) seem to be less interested in finger-gymnastics and just playing solos that add intense melody to sections of the song.

Listen to Ace's solo in 100,000 YEARS. Is it an impossible solo to play? No. But it's very creative and very melodic.

I love EAT 'EM AND SMILE...but I don't listen to it with the regularity that I did back in the day. The songwriting (the music, I mean...not Dave's parts) are just not as interesting in some cases as what Eddie could do.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

By the way, is this Detroit '86 upgrade just for a section of the show or has the whole show been remastered?

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I did find these. Seems similar quality. The whole show:

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No