Thread: 1984 Fan Documentary - 5 Part Miniseries

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanCBerry View Post
    Bill Burr on David Lee Roth from his podcast this week.
    What Burr said basically reflects my own feelings on it, where Dave's 'song and dance' lounge act schtick instincts were offset or for the most part well-balanced when he was in Van Halen.

His Just A Gigolo cover was something I liked well enough when watching the promo video, but I've never had the slightest desire to just hear the track on its own outside of the visual component.

Same went for I'm Easy and That's Life off of EEAS, I'm Easy really standing out as a bit fobbed-off and lazy (and putting it between Shyboy and Ladies Night In Buffalo just made those two qualities that much more glaring).

At least with Roth post-Van Halen he and whomever he was working with on any given album managed to conjure up a few to several tracks (depending on the album) that would capture some of the fury and essence of what made CVH so great vs. Van Halen post-Roth where none of it ever really got close to the Dave days.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
    The 1984 tour was doing crazy business. Additional shows were added in several markets to keep up the demand.

In so much I think one of the promoters - can't remember which state - sent a letter to Noel Monk and said that they will book VH in a stadium on their next tour.

Clearly the band was going to reach almost 1977 Zeppelin levels in terms of filling up stadiums.

But Dave, Ed and Al fucked it all up in '85.
    When I saw 'em in 1984 in Providence they did two dates, back-to-back shows (if memory serves). The venue held, what, 12 to 15 thousand or so.

Saw a lot of shows there in 1983 through 1986, with plenty of big name hard rock acts at the peak of their 80's success, and Van Halen were the only band I saw who did two nights there.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Episode 5 is coming next week... Stay Frosty™.
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Out now! Final episode!

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    In the middle of watching it now. Thanks, Alan.
    Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
    Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Great episode!

I was reminded of the disappointment I felt when this all went down in 85... still as confusing and mind-boggling now as to what, who, etc. as to why. What a fucking train wreck and mess those guys created for themselves and the rock world.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    Great episode!

I was reminded of the disappointment I felt when this all went down in 85... still as confusing and mind-boggling now as to what, who, etc. as to why. What a fucking train wreck and mess those guys created for themselves and the rock world.
    Agree 100%.

It was something that could've been totally avoided.

But thats not how it unfolded unfortunately. Drugs, booze, inflated egos. By the time Ted and Monk were let go there really wasn't anyone left in the CVH camp to help steer the ship to what would become an implosion.

This was indeed a great last episode to the series but a sad reminder of the disappointment.
    Last edited by Vinnie Velvet; 09-06-2023 at 01:34 PM.
    =V V=
    ole No.1 The finest
    EAT US AND SMILE

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It still boggles my mind that it happened.

Every time I listen to 1984 (and I STILL listen to it often), I can't help but think, "What could have been?"

There was some good music on 5150. With Dave at the helm, it could have been a good follow-up. Dave would have thrown out DREAMS, LOVE WALKS IN and that terrible INSIDE song.

They could have worked through their shit and gone into the 1990s.

I love A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUTH, but it still sucks that we only got one more real Van Halen album after 1984. And it took 30 years to get that.

Alan, I'm sorry you went through so much crap getting this documentary out there. But I still hope you manage to do more with this amazing band's story. I can understand if you don't want to...but your documentaries totally make me not care if the band ever does an official one. Your work here is some of the best I've ever seen.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The world has changed so much since 84/85... the section on all the media reports hit home... the band breaking-up... not breaking-up... Eddie Loves Valery... Dave says... Ed says... bullshit on all the magazine covers and articles was really the only sources we had. That, and radio DJ's makin shit up from the same sources,

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I will venture to say Ed was clearly more fucked up during '85 than Dave in their respective state of minds and in my opinion contributed more to the eventual breakup than Dave did.

Several other notable bands had gone through periods where their principle band members wanted to do outside projects, even movies, that put the band in a temporary hiatus.

But they didn't break up.

And their guitar players or other members didn't put ultimatums in front of them saying "its either us or you walk".

With that in mind, yeah RIP Eddie.....but FUCK YOU for this.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't think I knew about the Roth v Rod Stewart thing. Initial reaction is it's a real asshole statement by Roth but the more I think about it fuck it Rod Stewart's ego was biblical in size so maybe it was good for him to be able to play pretend humble.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The world has changed so much since 84/85...
    Like Hagar saying there are no gay men in America?

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I need to go back or if someone else wants to check what choice was Hagar 4th, 5th, 6th?

We can then make that a thing, 5th choice singer Hagar...

It's been rewritten in the PR but a boozed coked up Eddie watching Roth go from success to success and various out of a gig singers like the guy from Journey aren't answering his calls? No wonder he went for a mediocre talent recommended by his mechanic not based on his back catalog but by him living locally and earning enough to have a nice car...

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Did he really fucking say that? What a fucking tool.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I remember in 1985 when I heard of the departure of DLR and EVH moving on with Van Hagar. My first thought was that this was all planned by WB. I mean that it was a business decision to split them to make more revenues, to this day I still think it was all a business plan... I may be wrong...I cannot believe these guys could fuck something that was so good, after working all these years to get there. Van Halen is the best fucking band ever, but damn I hate how they treated their fans... And I know they don't fucking owe anyone anything but still...fucking motherfuckers.
    Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Because they're all at his place in Cabo?
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    Because they're all at his place in Cabo?

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That was an odd statement given the demographics of where he grew up and lived in California which clearly showed his deep-seeded homophobia...

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That was an odd statement given the demographics of where he grew up and lived in California which clearly showed his deep-seeded homophobia...
    Just by that footage, his stupid rants at Farm Aid and his appearance with the rest of the band at the MTV VMA party....Hagar was such a tool and a douchebag I don't see how anyone thought this was a good idea having him replace Dave.

WB execs must have been doing the same blow as Eddie.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Much thanks to Alan for putting this documentary together and fighting to keep it available!! From this fan...Thank You!

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by So this is love View Post
    I remember in 1985 when I heard of the departure of DLR and EVH moving on with Van Hagar. My first thought was that this was all planned by WB. I mean that it was a business decision to split them to make more revenues, to this day I still think it was all a business plan... I may be wrong...I cannot believe these guys could fuck something that was so good, after working all these years to get there. Van Halen is the best fucking band ever, but damn I hate how they treated their fans... And I know they don't fucking owe anyone anything but still...fucking motherfuckers.
    Not sure about that.

In the end WB actually lost revenue. Dave had solo success but it was nowhere near VH and likewise with Van Hagar. 5150 was a big seller however it sold much less than 1984.

The combined sales of both EEAS and 5150 still don't make up the total sales of 1984.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    If they had kept working hard they could have got another 4 or 5 albums in before the early 90s grunge thing and they would have made the top 10 of all time. Also its worth remembering this list is fixed now forever and if ADKOT had sold a little better they would have been up at 19.

I had to google George Strait - I'd never heard of him.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    Did he really fucking say that? What a fucking tool.
    Pretty much - @22:30

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Pretty much - @22:30
    One of the YouTube comments under the video first congratulated Alan and then said, "Now it's time to do a series on the Sammy albums!" What a sad sack of crap this YouTube commenter must be. Clearly he wasn't paying attention to Alan's obvious (and justified) preferences concerning Van Halen that come through in the film.

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Thanks, everyone, for the props and support. Besides my own VH fan-boy reasons, I was so hoping I could make videos that the die-hards, like all of you, would respect and enjoy. I owe a big thanks to everyone in the community for sharing info, videos, etc. Without it, my vids would have sucked.

Rikk, you are 1000% correct, I cannot stand the Hagar VH years, and when I first heard Van Hagar I was like WTF happened to my VH and moved firmly over to Roth's EASM camp.

Something I just learned about Hagar's gay comments was he was saying it to a gay man. Molly Meldrum, the reporter is gay.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Something I just learned about Hagar's gay comments was he was saying it to a gay man. Molly Meldrum, the reporter is gay.
    He was a big deal in Australia, he hosted their Live Aid around the time of the video. Hagar comes across as a small man, not just physically also remember he's 10 years older than the rest of them and should know better.

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Here is the clip with Molly.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Alan, how the hell did you find that?? I've seen lots of random clips of the band over the years (yes, even with Sam) and while I have a vague memory of this particular interview, I have NO memory of Sam saying that.

BUT THE "AMERICA, FUCK YEAH" CLIP WITH THE V.O.A. OUTFIT...FUCKING BRILLIANT!!

What a fucking tool Sammy is. He always has to get those kinds of opinions in there somewhere. I remember when Pearl Jam were taking on Ticketmaster in the mid-1990s, so many people were calling them fools and didn't understand what the big deal was with Ticketmaster. And Sammy was at the head of the line, not giving a shit about ticket fees for his fans and making fun of Pearl Jam. (Thirty years later, look who was right.)

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    He was a big deal in Australia, he hosted their Live Aid around the time of the video. Hagar comes across as a small man, not just physically also remember he's 10 years older than the rest of them and should know better.
    I remember seeing clips of Live Aid in Australia. (I remember watching Live Aid when it actually happened...I was ten.) I remember watching a re-airing of Live Aid on its 10th anniversary...and there were some cool clips from Australia.

Didn't INXS play the Australian version? I remember enjoying watching their performance in the re-airing.

I remember wondering if Midnight Oil played the Australian Live Aid. They were a great Australian band...and they were at their peak (IMO) from around 1982-1989.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Alan, how the hell did you find that?? I've seen lots of random clips of the band over the years (yes, even with Sam) and while I have a vague memory of this particular interview, I have NO memory of Sam saying that.

BUT THE "AMERICA, FUCK YEAH" CLIP WITH THE V.O.A. OUTFIT...FUCKING BRILLIANT!!

What a fucking tool Sammy is. He always has to get those kinds of opinions in there somewhere. I remember when Pearl Jam were taking on Ticketmaster in the mid-1990s, so many people were calling them fools and didn't understand what the big deal was with Ticketmaster. And Sammy was at the head of the line, not giving a shit about ticket fees for his fans and making fun of Pearl Jam. (Thirty years later, look who was right.)
    Sam is the ultimate douchebag.

He's trying to be cool but comes across as an assclown. Which we've all known for years he is.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Didn't INXS play the Australian version? I remember enjoying watching their performance in the re-airing.
    They did. The Models, Little River Band, Men At Work, and a lot of other Aussie bands I haven't heard of.

MTV used to air some Molly Meldrum interview show.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Where did this go? We could get Sammy "cancelled!"
    Last edited by twonabomber; 09-09-2023 at 01:59 AM.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    Where did this go? We could get Sammy "cancelled!"
    God in heaven please oh Jesus!....

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    God in heaven please oh Jesus!....
    You kidding? If a clip was published of Sammy attacking every gay man in America, he would gain a hardcore following of MAGAs and probably increase his Cabo Wabo vacation sales.

I think Sammy (at this point) would actually lose more fans (consider his fanbase) if he came out with a huge pro-LGBTQ statement.

In fact, that's it: Sammy would lose most of his fans if someone hacked his X (Twitter) account and announced that he (Sammy) was coming out of the closet.

THAT is how Sammy gets cancelled. Have him piss off his right-wing fandom.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You kidding? If a clip was published of Sammy attacking every gay man in America, he would gain a hardcore following of MAGAs and probably increase his Cabo Wabo vacation sales.

I think Sammy (at this point) would actually lose more fans (consider his fanbase) if he came out with a huge pro-LGBTQ statement.

In fact, that's it: Sammy would lose most of his fans if someone hacked his X (Twitter) account and announced that he (Sammy) was coming out of the closet.

THAT is how Sammy gets cancelled. Have him piss off his right-wing fandom.
    Yeah I mean really I wish he were cancelled. Yeah he isn't but sure Sam and whatever he was with is tracking down that and having it deleted....

And the whole "kill gays" thing isn't working well regardless of MAGA, ask Rick DePenis how well it works long term...

Where is DaveFalmma now LOL?

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Great episode!

From what I remember, I do recall being shocked. I think I had read about it first in that Rolling Stone blurb with the picture of Eddie and Valerie and the "twelve years of putting up with [Roth's] bullshit" and that was really the first inkling I had that anything was wrong inside the band.

They had just come off their biggest year with the 1984 album and tour, and the assumption was that they'd do it all again.

The announcement of Hagar coming in to sing for the band wasn't something where I thought "well, that makes sense" because back then I didn't see Hagar as in the same league as Van Halen musically. I did have a high amount of interest in what the band would do with Hagar because back then I was hugely into Eddie's playing, but it was definitely a wait and see attitude.

I would say that regardless of what I thought of all of it, Van Halen with Hagar managed to continue releasing albums that were commercially successful. I think it was after Hagar left in 1996 that the band became the gang that couldn't shoot straight, whereas at least with Hagar the band continued releasing albums and touring with a degree of success. Once Hagar departed in 1996, the Van Halens took full charge and it all REALLY went to shit. Starting with bobbling the fucking no-brainer of doing an album and tour with Roth in the immediate wake of Hagar's departure, opting instead to getting Cherone - who, if anything, was a step down from Hagar - in the band.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

That reporter may have asked Sam later if there "are no gay men in America, why are you wearing those cloths and why are you showcasing your small penis in them"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEiiu5lfnS4
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 09-10-2023 at 12:55 AM.

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Van Halen Brothers cover Black Sabbath's War Pig

Eddie Van Halen (RIP) - Guitar and vocals
    Alex Van Halen - Drums
    Mark Stone (RIP) - Bass

Special thanks to Jorge from vhvoaboots.jcink.net for uncovering this rare gem.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Van Halen Brothers cover Black Sabbath's War Pig

Eddie Van Halen (RIP) - Guitar and vocals
    Alex Van Halen - Drums
    Mark Stone (RIP) - Bass

Special thanks to Jorge from vhvoaboots.jcink.net for uncovering this rare gem.

Holy shit, Alan!!

I have to say, it's a...very good thing...that they ended up getting a vocalist (Roth).

Alan, you're a class act...you always give cred to whomever originally found a lost clip.

I see tons of YouTube channels that take footage or songs they don't own and then repost them with their own logo permanently embedded in the footage. You don't do that. You post this stuff just to get it out there to fans.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I want to add, and I'm being honest...not kissing ass...that the VH 1984 documentary is the best music documentary I've seen this year. Maybe in many years.

I remember back in the late 90s/early 00s when a new series emerged called CLASSIC ALBUMS...I was a big fan. I still love the Hendrix ELECTRIC LADYLAND episode and tons of others. (The recent Doors' MORRISON HOTEL episode was also really good.) I was dreaming back then that Van Halen would do an episode on 1984 or the debut album. But this is Van Halen...nothing.

Your documentary is SO thorough. I love documentaries that make me want to dig out the album and listen to it closely again. Not only did I give 1984 a lot of spins these past months but I also dug out my US FESTIVAL Blu-Ray. Watching docs like Alan's make me feel that initial Van Halen joy all over again.

Thread Information