X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vinnie Velvet
    Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
    I have no clue where Alex's head is at regarding the legacy and releasing old material... but the thought did occur to me that from the inception of Van Halen the band thru the Dave era and into the Hagar years was prior to Alex getting sober. Odds are he may harbor a lot of past demons and not necessarily view that material as positively as we, the fans, do...

It may be a matter of leaving the past as it is rather than revisit it from a deeply personal perspective for Alex and also his life with Edward... Something to consider.
    I'm not sure what Al is thinking.

There was an interview with someone close to the VH camp around the time before Tokyo Dome was released.

Apparently the band was indeed trying to release a club gig from the old days. I'm not sure what this was, year or what show. Maybe they were thinking of the Pasadena 77 show. Dont know.

But that's what part of the plan was after ADKOT.

Why didn't it happen? Apparently they didn't like how the kick drum sounded LOL.

And for whatever reason that project was shelved and we got Tokyo Dome instead.
    =V V=
    ole No.1 The finest
    EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Von Halen
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Terry
      I wouldn't say ADKOT is a bad album...just not listening to it much anymore...
      I listen to it semi regularly. I think it is a great album, just wish it would have come out way before it did.

Originally posted by Terry
      (perhaps a little less so with solely audio live stuff in that even if, say, every CVH gig ever played had been recorded by the band via the soundboard it wouldn't be a case of me actually wanting to hear every single CVH live show ever).
      I would listen to every one of them!

Comment

• ZahZoo
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

From Alan who produced the documentary posted at VHLinks...

Hi everyone, sorry I have been quiet about what happened with my Van Halen videos. I'm working hard to get the videos back up and should know something in the next 10 days or so. Once this is resolved, I will give everyone the backstory. Thanks for your patience. -Alan
        "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• silverfish
          Foot Soldier
          • Mar 2007

Good to hear. I'd really like to see the remaining 3 eps.
          Originally posted by sadaist
          I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Nitro Express
            Look. They don’t care about you. Both Al and Wolf have their fuck you money. Wolf gets more pleasure shitting on fans than he would from the money he would make releasing stuff.
            I think it's very likely Wolf has that thing that most people who have been born with an insane advantage in life whereby they think they achieved it themselves. His is an extreme example but in my experience people born as rich kids in general usually don't think about how the education and network of people their parents give them access to is why they are doing so well rather than their own work and ability.

It's too uncomfortable for someone like that to compare themselves with all the thousands of guys their own age who worked much harder and were much more talented getting nowhere.
            Last edited by Seshmeister; 06-11-2023, 10:59 PM.

Comment

• ZahZoo
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Further updates from Alan as posted at VHLinks...

Here is a quick update on the status of my Van Halen documentary. The videos are now in the hands of the mighty Alex Van Halen. If anyone has contact with him, please let him know if you want to see my doc. I will give you all the details soon. -Alan
              Edit: To clarify…he has the videos to watch and approve or squash the project. Before last week he knew nothing about the videos. I would happily give him ownership if he would let fans see it.

Comment

• Von Halen
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Let's hope Al does the right thing for the fans. I don't hold much hope.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                  Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
                  Let's hope Al does the right thing for the fans. I don't hold much hope.
                  If he finds anything in there that he doesn't like or thinks is not accurate the videos will never see the light of day.
                  =V V=
                  ole No.1 The finest
                  EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• ZahZoo
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I wonder how many times Alex will view it and go... "wait a minute... is that what happened? Nobody told me... "

Comment

• Von Halen
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

I suppose if it is pro Clichegar as some here have suggested, Al will never let it see the light of day. I'd have to agree with him in that case!

Comment

• twonabomber
                        formerly F A T
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I wonder how many times Alex will view it and go... "wait a minute... is that what happened? Nobody told me... "
                        Or "where was I?"
                        Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
                          I suppose if it is pro Clichegar as some here have suggested, Al will never let it see the light of day. I'd have to agree with him in that case!
                          I believe it only covers 1983 up thru the breakup with Dave in 1985...

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                            Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

I believe it only covers 1983 up thru the breakup with Dave in 1985...
                            I think its reference to the doc being skewed towards Dave being the main culprit of the breakup. When we all know thats just how Eddie and Co. painted it post 1985.

One of the things that I noticed in one part of the narration is that he referred to Dave as Ed's "nemesis" which is ridiculous.

They were partners in this big thing they helped create. Sure, they were at odds in terms of conflicts with certain direction to take songs, band stuff, etc.

But nemesis is a bit too far. Especially taking into account the time period of 1983.
                            Last edited by Vinnie Velvet; 06-16-2023, 10:07 AM.
                            =V V=
                            ole No.1 The finest
                            EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• ZahZoo
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Well, Dave was the primary culprit of the breakup. How can you frame it any other way..? He was the one who wanted to go off and do the movie and released a solo EP...

Not saying Ed, Alex and management weren't innocent victims in what transpired, but Dave made the moves himself that led to the breakup.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                                Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Well, Dave was the primary culprit of the breakup. How can you frame it any other way..? He was the one who wanted to go off and do the movie and released a solo EP...

Not saying Ed, Alex and management weren't innocent victims in what transpired, but Dave made the moves himself that led to the breakup.
                                For years Ed noodled and did outside projects. Of course not high profile cause mainly he wasnt a singer.

Dave didn't want to leave the band but wanted to do the EP and the movie. After six albums and a grueling 10-12 years of first clubbing then endless headline touring, why not?

Was that so bad? Freddie Mercury for instance did a solo thing but that didn't break up Queen.

Ed just couldn't handle the fact that CFTH did very well for an EP. And the videos were in regular rotation and very popular.

I mean, all that benefitted the next CVH album. More exposure. Guess Ed didnt see it that way.
                                Last edited by Vinnie Velvet; 06-16-2023, 12:50 PM.
                                =V V=
                                ole No.1 The finest
                                EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

Working...