X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Life is just a bunch of games.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Mushroom
      Commando
      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Nitro Express
      PRS makes great guitars but they don’t hold their value. They don’t have the nostalgic mojo. They don’t have the history. You are going to lose money on a PRS.
      They definitely don’t have the name or history like Gibson. The most valuable models are from the 80’s, and the singlecut models before the Gibson lawsuit, or private stock. I own two customs from 1999-2003. I can sell and make a profit, no idea about profit margin. But they would be too expensive to replace today, perhaps a little overpriced. But a very good Gibson Les Paul seems way overpriced to me; the name being the biggest factor.

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Mushroom
        They definitely don’t have the name or history like Gibson. The most valuable models are from the 80’s, and the singlecut models before the Gibson lawsuit, or private stock. I own two customs from 1999-2003. I can sell and make a profit, no idea about profit margin. But they would be too expensive to replace today, perhaps a little overpriced. But a very good Gibson Les Paul seems way overpriced to me; the name being the biggest factor.
        I took a tour of Gibson when I was in Nashville. The guy who over saw the production of the Wolfgang guitars at Peavey and was overseeing Gibson’s production. He was very knowledgeable about guitars.

He said the Gibson headstock breakage problem could easily be fixed by making a joint at the top of the neck and changing the wood grain direction. Gibson makes their necks and head stocks out of one piece of wood. This is actually more expensive than using two pieces because you waste more wood.

He said Gibson can’t change anything because the customers complain. They want old school guitars that break easy and have laquer finishes that fade and crack. They want hand wrapped binding that the paint has to be scraped off by hand.

You can actually make a more durable guitar cheaper using modern manufacturing techniques. Gibson does that over at Epiphone in China. In Nashville they are going to build an old school guitar warts and all. Then charge more. They were busting ass to keep up with orders. So somebody still wants them. They make their acoustics just north of here in Montana.

It really boils down giving your customer base what they want and that might mean making overprice, outdated shit to someone who’s desires are different.
        Last edited by Nitro Express; 06-07-2023, 04:31 PM.

Comment

• Mushroom
          Commando
          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Nitro Express
          I took a tour of Gibson when I was in Nashville. The guy who over saw the production of the Wolfgang guitars at Peavey and was overseeing Gibson’s production. He was very knowledgeable about guitars.

He said the Gibson headstock breakage problem could easily be fixed by making a joint at the top of the neck and changing the wood grain direction. Gibson makes their necks and head stocks out of one piece of wood. This is actually more expensive than using two pieces because you waste more wood.
          PRS was very well aware of that headstock breakage so their headstock angle is less. Basically, lay the guitar flat on its back, the top of the headstock does not touch the plane. Gibson won’t fix that. But once that headstock is broken and properly fixed, it’s stronger. I heard some people intentionally break it to fix it. With that said, I still want a Les Paul.

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Les Paul’s are great. My first real good guitar was a 72 Les Paul Custom. Wish I still had it. I’ve owned Gibson’s since 1977. Never had a head stock break or any other major problems. If you baby them and keep them in a case they are fine. If one comes inside from cold temperatures you want to let the case warm up. Exposing a cold Gibson to heat can crack the lacquer finish.

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

I like a Les Paul Standard with a 60’s neck. The 50’s neck is too big and I don’t care for the modern asymmetrical necks.

Comment

Working...