• Show
Clear All
  • twonabomber
    formerly F A T
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

BOSS and EVH Collaboration - SDE-3000EVH

Around $600

Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.
  • Von Halen
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by twonabomber
    Around $600
    Does that price include the three stacks?

Comment

• twonabomber
      formerly F A T
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I would have ordered it already if it did!
      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
        Does that price include the three stacks?
        People get good Van Halen tone through all sorts of stuff including some cheap shit like the Epiphone Valve Jr. The real trick is knowing how to play like Ed. No black box is going to do that for you.
        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Shit if I could get three decent stacks for $600 what a deal. It’s going to cost $600 just to retube a 100 watt head here soon.

Comment

• twonabomber
            formerly F A T
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
              People get good Van Halen tone through all sorts of stuff including some cheap shit like the Epiphone Valve Jr. The real trick is knowing how to play like Ed. No black box is going to do that for you.
              Never bothered with any of the EVH gear.

I can fiddle around with my stock Peavey amp, stock Ibanez or stock Charvel and MXR/BOSS/Pro-Co Rat pedals and get an EVH tone.

People love the idea of a single magic box being able to replicate the sound the various bits of customized gear Ed used throughout his career made. As you say, though (and I agree), more of it had to do with what his hands were doing than the gear he was using.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

I love power amp distortion. I was never much for the high gain preamp distortion thing. You can get great VH sounds cranking the shit out of low powered tube amps that have a Marshall style tone stack. I have a little 20 watt FUCH’s amp with just a volume knob and three tone knobs. I run it at 89 volts on a variac and crank every knob full up. I run it into a 2x12 with 25 watt green backs. Get the classic VH tone better than anything.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

The Ratt is still one of my favorite pedals. I have a Ratt, a OCD and a Plush Cream in my gig bag. I can get my sound with any amp using those.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

I only use pedals if I don’t have an amp that works for me or I have to keep the volume down. I have Fryette Power Station and you can use that to cut or boost the volume. It doesn’t thin out the tone like a static load box does. If I have that I just crank the amp and run a line out to the PA mixer.

But I have no use for the buzz box called the 5150. Ed ruined his tone using those.
                    Last edited by Nitro Express; 05-19-2023, 02:00 PM.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

A lot of Ed’s early tone comes from the speaker cab. You have to push the speakers and get that cab resonating.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

If you can’t sound like Ed unplugged, nothing you plug into is going to do it. You have to get the sound from the strings and guitar. Everything else just makes it louder and tweaks the sound a bit.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

You can’t polish a turd. If your golf swing sucks spending $10,000 in the pro shop ain’t going to help you.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I'm sure there's a certain portion of the market that buys certain brands hoping to sound "like" the artist endorser... that's fine and typical in the gear market.

But then there's others who are chasing their own sound and see the capabilities something like this pedal/effect can do for their rig and signal chain. The reference to EVH's live sound rig give you a real world application of it's use and capabilities. There's a lot of guitar players that love Eddie's work but have no interest and certainly don't have his playing ability... so they don't try to emulate Ed's compositions. I'm that way... but the gear aspects are interesting.
                            "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Mojotone Brings Another BlackOutIn the world of rock tone, the “Marshall sound” is truly all-encompassing. It’s the stuff guitar-god dreams are made from, and both the sweetest and most aggressive way of getting your message across. And in far too many cases, these days it’s also just way too loud for most of us to use in any practical gig or studio situation. Enter the BlackOut British amplifier, Mojotone’s entirely new and yet utterly simple approach to achieving that legendary British guitar tone in a portable and club-friendly package, which nevertheless drips with dynamic, compelling, expressive, hand-wired, Brit-inspired tube tone. From the team that brought you the popular BlackOut Tweed Select, the BlackOut British cuts straight to the heart of rock ‘n’ roll circa London ’67, and ports it forward to your diverse and demanding playing requirements circa 2020.After the guitar world went wild for the sounds of the JTM45 and Plexi in the late ’60s and early ’70s, plenty of guitarists discovered you could achieve that classic crunchy, singing, dynamic Marshall tone in a much more portable and decibel-friendly package via the so-called “18-watters," officially known as Models 1958, 1973, 1974 which were made between 1965-’67. Everyone from Gary Moore to the Pretenders to AC/DC and many, many more discovered the juicy goodness of these smaller, 18-watt dual-EL84 Marshall heads and combos, and they became a secret studio weapon for countless artists.As much as we dig the 5E3 circuit that inspired the BlackOut Tweed, we here at Mojotone have long had a soft spot for the delectable 18-watters and, on the heels of that first special BlackOut project, we wanted to indulge our love of this British twist on the club-sized amp. While original-spec 18-watters can sound great, however, the Mojotone amp team decided to make the Blackout British the 18-watter to end all 18-watters; thus the mod-fest ensued. We started by replacing the often-ignored (and, frankly, not great sounding) tremolo with a classic British three-knob tone stack driven by its own ECC83 (aka 12AX7) preamp tube. We fed this with a single-input lead channel derived from the JCM800/2204 platform for a mean, hot-rodded gain sound. The team also integrated a master volume control so this monstrous sound can be harnessed and used in any size room. The normal (clean) channel stays truer to 18-watt form with just a volume and tone control, along with Hi and Lo inputs.Departing from tradition, the team coupled this front end to a dual-6V6 output stage in place of the usual EL84s. This tube complement provides ample power and an abundance of headroom. It has gives the amp more bottom end than your average EL84 output stage and an impressive ability to sound like “baby EL34s." The results, on the dirty channel, are heard in screaming lead tones perfect for everything from dirty grunge all the way to saturated hair-metal sustain! To top it all off, this hot-rodded rock 'n' roll machine is housed in a classic 18-Watt British Style Head Shell and covered in the Mojotone BlackOut Tweed with the Mojotone BlackOut Grill Cloth for a distinctively classy-looking amplifier that will knock your socks off.Warranty: 1 Year Limited Warranty on amplifier to be free of technical defects. 90 days on tubes and speakers.

If you want a really good old school 20 watt drive it to hell amp these are great. Hand wired, well built and one channel is like a Marshall plexi and the other is like a hot JCM 800. 6v6’s sound like EL34’s if you goose them hard. But this amp doesn’t mush out. The note definition is very good. Great for old school VH.

Comment

Working...