DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Post VAN HALEN: Every Album, Every Song (On Track) NEW BOOK

VAN HALEN: Every Album, Every Song (On Track) NEW BOOK

https://www.amazon.com/Van-Halen-eve...945886&sr=1-11

I just bought this new book (part of a huge series) for my Kindle. I have a ton of these titles on a separate shelf in my living room. Probably going to get the paperback edition of this too to add to the rest of my volumes from this series.

I really dig this book. I can't say I agree with EVERY opinion in the book...but it's pretty close to how I feel about the whole catalog.

The author pretty much uniformly throws props to everything on the 6-pack, shits over so much on Hagar's four albums, tears VH III a new asshole...and then loves not only the two BEST OF songs with Dave but also fawns all over A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUTH. It's not just a matter of saying "I like this" and "I don't like that"...he really goes deep into what was wrong with the Hagar years. He sums up in so many of his song reviews something I haven't pointed out enough in the reams of writing I've done on this site about why Hagar sucks balls. He points out that almost every one of Hagar's finished lyric sheets is nothing but CLICHE after CLICHE. Hagar basically lifts lines you'd read on bad Hallmark cards and repeats the sentiment in lyric over and over again. Almost nothing he writes has an original thought or a creative metaphor. It's just really bad how he hears some pretty good guitar music and ruins it with sentiments like "that's what dreams are made of" or "right now, it's your tomorrow."

The guy tears apart WHEN IT'S LOVE.

He shits all over RIGHT NOW. (I've never really liked RIGHT NOW, but you'd think a book made for the masses, going through the Van Halen catalog, would try to throw a bone to the sheep about this well-known song. But no...he points out that the lyrics are one endless cliche after another and that the song doesn't really have staying power. Damn right!)

I've rarely read someone dissect just how bad VAN HALEN III is (and why). The only thing I couldn't believe is that he actually threw some props at HOW MANY SAY I...one of the most embarrassing things ever recorded by a band that was once awesome. But he talks about the badly-recorded, badly-mixed music on VAN HALEN III...and then starts dissecting the simply awful lyrics Cherone came up with for so many of these songs and basically asks: "What in the hell was this guy even trying to sing about?"

And it's not just song reviews...he goes into historical background and detail of the songs, equipment & tunings used, band history in the overview before starting to dissect each track. It was a fun read.

And the basic thesis of the book is: the band have a huge, sprawling catalog of albums...but if you're going to try and wade through the shit pool that is the non-Dave eras, be careful. Most of it is full of mediocrity swill.

He also tears LIVE: RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW a new asshole...and he agrees with my (admittedly rare) opinion that TOKYO DOME is an under-rated live album. It's very raw, very live. And anyone who bitches that Dave doesn't sing all the words clearly hasn't listened to much live material with Dave...because for Dave it was always more about a live performance attitude than trying to recreate every nuance of an original studio vocal performance.

It's a really fun read with mostly sane opinions about the band's complicated catalog (and a catalog that should be much bigger, frankly). It had me cranking out a lot of VH in my car this past week.

SIDE NOTE: One of the only historical inaccuracies he writes about is that the band would have a hard time releasing the '77 Demos officially because the master tapes are lost. This is only partially true. It is true that Ed wanted to release them in 2015...but after finding out that the master mixes were lost, he asked Dave what he wanted to release, and Dave chose the Tokyo 2013 concert (the band apparently recorded every single gig from 2007 to the end on digital multi-track). This part is true. The author then states that maybe the band could do a so-so remaster on the boot version of the '77 demo tapes. This is NOT true. The author doesn't realize that Warners HAS the original multi-tracks of the first six albums (including 1984), as well as the '77 Demos. In the mid-2000s, they had a Sunset Sound engineer compile a 4-CD box set which included a remix of the '77 Demos using the 1st album as a reference point, trying to match the final mix sound of the debut album. And it apparently sounds perfect. SO...yes, the master mixes of the '77 Demos are lost. But the multi-tracks exist and a perfect remix has ALREADY been done. It would be great if the band simply released the '77 Demos as a new archive release.

BUT...I'm not holding my breath.

Get this book if you're up for a fun read about VH. I got through the whole book in about 3 evening reads.
    Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
    Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'll have to look those books up. I just started the Trevor Horn book.

I kinda like How Many Say I, partly because you all hate it lol and because maybe Ed wrote the lyrics. We've heard "angry" ED on the guitar and to hear him express himself in a different way was weird.
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I was rolling my eyes today reading a recent Gary Cherone interview where he was saying there was a bunch of stuff recorded around then that didn't make the album that may one day come out and how good it was.

I think Cherone is decent guy and I like some Extreme stuff but in the same way that Van Hagar released the abortion of Up For Breakfast you have to wonder how good the stuff that was less good than that was.

It was at that point I suddenly realized I've never actually listened to VHII, only the singles and the horrific How Many Say I thing. What if I did and actually liked the rest of it after all these years?

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    I was rolling my eyes today reading a recent Gary Cherone interview where he was saying there was a bunch of stuff recorded around then that didn't make the album that may one day come out and how good it was.

I think Cherone is decent guy and I like some Extreme stuff but in the same way that Van Hagar released the abortion of Up For Breakfast you have to wonder how good the stuff that was less good than that was.

It was at that point I suddenly realized I've never actually listened to VHII, only the singles and the horrific How Many Say I thing. What if I did and actually liked the rest of it after all these years?
    Extreme's 3rd album was the one I remember enjoying a few tracks. I DO think Nuno is a fine guitar player...but overall, I just don't like Cherone's lyrics or vocal style.

I remember thinking when VHIII was coming out that I would hear it and think, "Wow, imagine what Dave would do with these instrumentals." But the truth is: even the music is a mess. Eddie says he wrote a lot of the music AROUND Cherone's lyrics. As a songwriter, I don't usually agree with this approach. I write music first and then write lyrics to fit the melody I think is catchiest around said music. I don't think starting with the lyrics usually produces the best music. Just my opinion.

The music on VHIII is sometimes interesting...but a lot of it is just a muddle of weird riffs that don't go together. There IS some good guitar playing on the album. But, overall, it sounds like Eddie was trying to make another FAIR WARNING and just failed miserably.

There are a few tracks I actually like. There's one called JOSEPHINA that has some really nice, inventive chords and playing...an interesting arrangement. It's unlike anything VH ever attempted before or since. There's also a pretty cool guitar instrumental called PRIMARY. It leads into a song called BALLOT OR THE BULLET, which has a NOBODY'S FAULT BUT MINE-style riff and some interesting instrumental stuff...but this is a track on which the vocals decimate the song. Just horrible singing, lyrics and arrangement. There's another song called DIRTY WATER DOG which I could imagine Dave doing something interesting with...but Gary writes some of the worst lyrics known to man. And he seems to have NO sense of melody.

I do think, as you're obviously still a fan of Eddie, that you should give the album a listen. It's a lot more interesting an album than, say, FOR UNLAWFUL CARNAL KNOWLEDGE, which as far as I'm concerned is the band's absolute LOWEST point. I think F.U.C.K. is a terrible, terrible album. It's not only, in my opinion, the worst of the Van Hagar albums but also the worst Van Halen album EVER. The only thing on F.U.C.K. I actually think is pretty good is a longer, proggier song called PLEASURE DOME. Sammy isn't great or anything...but the music reminds me a bit of GIRL GONE BAD. Other than that, I cannot stand that album. I especially hate the singles. I think POUNDCAKE, RIGHT NOW, RUNAROUND and TOP OF THE WORLD are just bad songs. I especially can't stand RUNAROUND and TOP OF THE WORLD. They're just embarrassing. I remember hearing TOP OF THE WORLD and noticing that it had the same riff that JUMP ended with...but it was all downhill from there. It's just generic, crappy arena rock in the worst possible way.

Every other Van Hagar album has at least a few things I genuinely like:

1) 5150 has the title track, BEST OF BOTH WORLDS and SUMMER NIGHTS...none compare to the six-pack, but for Van Hagar, they're pretty good (albeit ALL with terrible lyrics).
    2) OU812 has CABO WABO and BLACK 'N' BLUE...I may bitch about Van Hagar like almost no one else, but even I will admit there's something appealing in those tracks.
    3) BALANCE has...well...oh yeah...I like AFTERSHOCK and FEELIN'. Both have terrible lyrics...but the music has some heaviness and drama that I like. I think Dave could have killed it with both of those.

But F.U.C.K. is the lowest one for me...not VHIII. At least Eddie was trying something new with VHIII. The problem was...he failed. And fans the world over were never going to forgive him for teasing a Dave reunion and then taking it away.

Funny you mention UP FOR BREAKFAST. It is (without a doubt) the lowest moment Sammy Hagar wrote lyrics for Van Halen. It's so stunningly bad, even Spinal Tap wouldn't have gone there with the lyrics. But the funny thing is: listen to it and try to imagine that Sammy isn't singing on it and that Dave wrote new lyrics and melodies for it. The rhythm section is so driving on it, Alex is playing so well...it COULD HAVE been a great Van Halen song if Dave were there. But Sam's lyrics are just so moronic and (for someone his age) so disgusting. It sickens me that this man ever got behind a microphone in 5150 Studios.

All those years the band wasted letting Sammy Hagar sing on their records.
    Last edited by Rikk; 06-17-2023 at 01:12 AM.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    I'll have to look those books up. I just started the Trevor Horn book.
    Yeah, this series has a really cool Yes book. I've been enjoying digging through that. There's a band that went through so many line-up changes but (for the most part) managed to produce interesting work through most of the eras (though I haven't really given them a chance since Jon Anderson left...that still pisses me off).

I kinda like How Many Say I, partly because you all hate it lol and because maybe Ed wrote the lyrics. We've heard "angry" ED on the guitar and to hear him express himself in a different way was weird.
    I was intrigued when I was listening to the album. I was WANTING to like this track...but I was still so, so angry at Eddie for not keeping Dave back in the band. I did try to like the track...but I just couldn't. It starts off kind of interesting...it kind of reminds me of something off THE WALL...a bit like NOBODY HOME (my favorite song off THE WALL). But soon, Gary starts singing with him, strings enter the mix...and I just start hating it. I've listened to EVERYTHING Van Halen ever did. When I've written all my endless essays bitching about Van Halen without Dave, I at least feel that I've really given it all a chance before I write what I write. I'm a huge Eddie fan...so I've TRIED to like everything. But on any album without Dave, I just sigh and shake my head MOST OF THE TIME.

And, I think it's safe to say, HOW MANY SAY I is the Van Halen song I've listened to least. I just don't like it.

But I think it's cool you do. I'm not one of those VH fans who thinks I have to attack someone for liking something I don't. If you find something in it you like, all power to you.

I unashamedly like BLACK 'N' BLUE. The lyrics are terrible, but the groove in the song, the main riff, the melodies and harmonies...I unapologetically enjoy it. So why do I bitch so much about Van Hagar? Because songs like BLACK 'N' BLUE are surrounded by songs like FINISH WHAT YA STARTED and SUCKER IN A 3-PIECE, which I think are mother fucking terrible.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    Yeah, this series has a really cool Yes book. I've been enjoying digging through that. There's a band that went through so many line-up changes but (for the most part) managed to produce interesting work through most of the eras (though I haven't really given them a chance since Jon Anderson left...that still pisses me off).
    I listen to Drama a lot. Probably more than I listen to VHIII.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It's a rarity to hear positive discussion of VHIII here... 2 songs on that one I like... Dirty Water Dog and Ballot or the Bullet. The latter I don't care for the lyrics/singing but enjoy it musically.

Up For Breakfast... such a great tune musically but Hagar's lyrics and singing just ruin it... Here's a version with vocals removed just a little bleed thru...

"If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    I do think, as you're obviously still a fan of Eddie, that you should give the album a listen. It's a lot more interesting an album than, say, FOR UNLAWFUL CARNAL KNOWLEDGE, which as far as I'm concerned is the band's absolute LOWEST point. I think F.U.C.K. is a terrible, terrible album.
    There are some decent riffs on Carnal Knowledge, they're just ruined by the lyrics. Sonically it's probably the best-recorded VH of that time, with Andy Johns producing, engineering, and doing the mix.

I thought Balance was weaker than Carnal Knowledge. Kind of plods along. Drums sound okay on it though.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    It's a rarity to hear positive discussion of VHIII here... 2 songs on that one I like... Dirty Water Dog and Ballot or the Bullet. The latter I don't care for the lyrics/singing but enjoy it musically.

Up For Breakfast... such a great tune musically but Hagar's lyrics and singing just ruin it... Here's a version with vocals removed just a little bleed thru...

Ballot or the Bullet was decent on an instrumental level. The track that came right before it...was it Primary?...was what I imagine the vast bulk of unreleased 5150 recordings are re: Ed noodling.

There was another track on VHIII that I liked on an instrumental level...I think it was titled The One I Want.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    There are some decent riffs on Carnal Knowledge, they're just ruined by the lyrics. Sonically it's probably the best-recorded VH of that time, with Andy Johns producing, engineering, and doing the mix.

I thought Balance was weaker than Carnal Knowledge. Kind of plods along. Drums sound okay on it though.
    By the time Balance came out I had (after three albums/chances) given up on Hagar doing anything with Van Halen that approached excellence. I think I listened to Balance...once? Maybe twice, right when it first came out.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Part of the problem was just the months in the run-up to Cherone announced as the new lead singer, recording the two tracks with Roth then appearing with Roth at the VMA's. I dunno if the Van Halens had the mindset that because it had been ten years since Roth left and Roth's solo career was basically over that doing a couple of tracks with him for a Best Of album wouldn't cause the stir that it did or whet the public's appetite for a Roth reunion...I still think Ed wanted to do a full-on reunion with Dave in 1996 but quickly realized that Dave wasn't going to return to the band in a supplicant role.

Another part of the problem was...why Gary Cherone? From what I remember back when Extreme was at their zenith, most of what people really liked about Extreme had to do with Nuno Bettencourt. What I remember of Cherone back then (and I never was a particular fan of Extreme) is a decent albeit nondescript voice and some pretty mundane lyrics. The only thing he did which stood out to me was covering the Queen song Hammer To Fall at the Mercury Tribute Concert in 1992 - not a great sign in that one of his career highlights was singing someone else's tune - and that More Than Words ballad, which I found to be cringe-inducing and drenched in middlebrow sentimentality.

Beyond all of that, with Van Halen III it came down to the tunes - many of which seemed like half-realized ideas - and the recording/engineering/mixing of the album, which made it sound like a studio demo tape. It's like, the band opted not to go with Roth and we got Van Halen III instead? To me, the two BOV1 new Roth tracks easily outshone everything on Van Halen III.

Having said all of that, there were instrumental flashes on Van Halen III...ideas I hear sprinkled throughout the album that could have benefitted from more time and work in the pre-production rehearsals and a better producer. As you say, I can't imagine any of the stuff that wasn't good enough to make the cut for Van Halen III would be undiscovered gems.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Extreme had pretty much broken up in 1996. Nuno had left the band and the reason was.... wait for it.... Ray Danniels, who had become the band's manager.

So Danniels thought he would just consolidate his "properties". He had a singer without a band (Cherone) and a band without a singer (VH). Danniels told Gary he was getting the gig right after Hagar left the band (or was fired by Eddie in the drunken Father's day phone call) so depsite Dave recording the two songs, the MTV appearance, the auditions for Mitch Malloy and anybody else who might have applied for the gig, Danniels already had the guy he wanted for the gig.

It's no coincidence that the band got rid of Cherone when they got rid of Danniels, which was when they were in the middle of recording the followup to VDIII in 1999.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Just bumping this...really worth buying. Glad Warham bought it too. (Give YOUR review too, War. I loved it.)

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post

Wasnt Up for Breakfast one of those many songs done with Dave in 2000-01?

Different lyrics obviously and a different title.
    =V V=
    ole No.1 The finest
    EAT US AND SMILE

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    It's no coincidence that the band got rid of Cherone when they got rid of Danniels, which was when they were in the middle of recording the followup to VDIII in 1999.
    I remember Gary being jettisoned within just a few days of a public open-letter feud he was embroiled in with Eddie Vedder over pro-life, pro-choice opinions. Gary being pro-life. I remember thinking Ed and Al must’ve been scratching their heads, wondering how things got to such an odd point in their band. All the while, blaming anyone and everyone but themselves, of course.

Bottom feeder
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I could only get 1:35 into the Upchuck for Breakfast song and had to stop, you can hear his voice too much.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
    I could only get 1:35 into the Upchuck for Breakfast song and had to stop, you can hear his voice too much.
    One benefit of decades of audio engineering and live sound mixing is I can isolate pretty much every instrument in my brain and tune out the rest easily. Vocals are what I usually ignore the most... the instrumentation is 90% of what matters in a good mix.

Today I'm thankful for digital mixing consoles where I can easily create channel groups for separating vocals and instruments then isolate with the punch of a button. I never tire of hearing singers whine about why I'm muting them during sound checks and tell them to keep their in-ears on and do their damn job while make the real music sound good.

Thread Information