X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vinnie Velvet
    Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by FORD
    Leffler was probably a decent enough manager for them. Since we already have the Rush comparisons in this thread though, their manager seemed to work for them too... which is ironic, since he destroyed any other band he touched. That would be our old friend Ray Danniels, of course.
    Its no secret, despite the public display of chumminess, the brother's relationship with Sam by 1991 wasn't as strong as it was in 1986.

But Leffler was definitely the glue that held it together. Leffler dies and Van Hagar barely survives with just one more album and tour without him.

If CVH had a manager like him they don't break up IMO.
    =V V=
    ole No.1 The finest
    EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Or if they had got that guy that rebuilt Aerosmith, Tim Collins.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
        Rammstein has had the same 6 members for what, 20 something years at least? Extremely rare not to have replaced at least one member.

Van Halen had 6 great albums. I'd like to think had Dave stayed, they'd have had at least 10. Some will argue the 4 with Clichegar are also great, so they do have 10 great albums under the Van Halen name. As a whole, I don't think the Van Hagar albums have stood the test of time nearly as well as the Van Halen albums. My girlfriend is a Dave era fan. But she's more of a fan of the more popular tunes. When we are cruising in the dune buggy and I have the playlist on the 6 pack, she will hear a song she's never heard or rarely heard and every time will go "Wow, that's another great song." Really, the only song I skip in the whole playlist, is "Jump". I didn't like it the first time I ever heard it, and I still don't like it. I can close my eyes and go back to the first time it was played on the radio. I was so disappointed. My buddies razzed the shit out of me too. But then, the rest of the album came out. Wow. To come out with an album like that, and then break up the band after the tour. A fucking travesty. It's just a shame the way it all played out. I have to believe they all have their regrets. I believe even Ed had regrets. They did so much between 78 and 84, and so little between 2007 and 2015 new music wise. I don't think Ed ever believed the sands of time were running out. Then boom. They did. Quickly.

Man, I'm still devastated over the break up after 1984. I'm still devastated Ed is gone.

The best I'll ever say about the Van Hagar albums is that they have their moments with Ed on guitar. I hate Sam's vocals but if some love his range IDGAF, that's their taste. I just fucking hate his pitch, that's not to say there isn't anything listenable. But the Van Hagar era's albums seem very un-"Balanced". It seems they shot for 4-5 money makers then mailed the rest in, OU812 is a prime example. There is little or no filler on the Sixpack and they are way more consistent.....

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
          They desperately needed a break from all things VH by 1985. And especially a break from each other.
          That was supposed to be after the Fair Warning Tour, but fate intervened in a successful (Oh) Pretty Woman single pushing them into doing DD. I've always said they might have made it a lot longer with that hiatus but WB was run by greedy a-holes.....

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
            Or if they had got that guy that rebuilt Aerosmith, Tim Collins.
            If I remember correctly from that Hagar book he wrote years ago - but never officially published - Collins was the guy Sam wanted to take over after Leffler died. Danniels got the gig because his sister was married to Alex at the time.
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nickdfresh
              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
              Its no secret, despite the public display of chumminess, the brother's relationship with Sam by 1991 wasn't as strong as it was in 1986.

But Leffler was definitely the glue that held it together. Leffler dies and Van Hagar barely survives with just one more album and tour without him.

If CVH had a manager like him they don't break up IMO.
              The honeymoon was well over by 88' and the Monsters of Cock tour...

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

If I remember correctly from that Hagar book he wrote years ago - but never officially published - Collins was the guy Sam wanted to take over after Leffler died. Danniels got the gig because his sister was married to Alex at the time.
                Hagar lies constantly though so who knows?

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

From what I remember, Collins was reluctant to take on Van Hagar because this was around the time that Eddie shaved his head and was in the middle of some sort of breakdown. Collins witnessed this and said "I already have to deal with Steven Tyler. I don't need this shit".

I used to have a copy of that Hagar book, but I think it vanished in a hard drive crash, unfortunately. Otherwise I'd look up the direct quotes.
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

From what I remember, Collins was reluctant to take on Van Hagar because this was around the time that Eddie shaved his head and was in the middle of some sort of breakdown. Collins witnessed this and said "I already have to deal with Steven Tyler. I don't need this shit".

I used to have a copy of that Hagar book, but I think it vanished in a hard drive crash, unfortunately. Otherwise I'd look up the direct quotes.
                    So you gave your harddrive AIDS....

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Leffler was probably a decent enough manager for them. Since we already have the Rush comparisons in this thread though, their manager seemed to work for them too... which is ironic, since he destroyed any other band he touched. That would be our old friend Ray Danniels, of course.
                      Rush was a cake band to manage. All members were friendly and no drama. They just kept making great music and doing tours. I did a set up and tear down for Rush. They had a great crew.
                      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

Working...