Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MA Reveals When He First 'Came To The Conclusion' That DLR Was 'Bipolar'

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

MA Reveals When He First 'Came To The Conclusion' That DLR Was 'Bipolar'

https://blabbermouth.net/news/michae...th-was-bipolar

In a new interview with "THAT Rocks!", the weekly YouTube series hosted by Eddie Trunk, Jim Florentine and Don Jamieson, former VAN HALEN bassist Michael Anthony confirmed that he does "very little" social media nowadays.

He said (as transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET): "I do a little bit of Instagramming and whatever, but… [otherwise] no… I don't like to get involved in the drama. And that was really hard in certain times in VAN HALEN. Because, believe me… It's kind of funny, because I look at TV and I'm watching things like 'Behind The Music' [specials] with other bands, and I go, 'Oh my God. Look at all the shit they went through.' And then I sit back and I go, 'Oh my God. We've got probably the most drama out of anybody.'"

Speaking about VAN HALEN's touring days with the band's original singer David Lee Roth, Michael said: "There was always drama on the Roth tours… There were times… God, I forget which tour it was. I'll just give you a real quick story — not so much drama, but just how it was with Dave on tour. We were staying somewhere in the Midwest, and Dave… After this, we all kind of came to the conclusion that he was bipolar. 'Cause he would be great, and then all of a sudden he would just kind of freak out or whatever. And one night… We had a night off, and everybody was… whatever we were doing. It was, like, around midnight, one in the morning, and everyone was pretty much back at the hotel. And I hear all this commotion out in the hall and pounding and screaming, and I'm going, 'What the hell is going on?' So I put my shorts on and I go walking down the hall. And our security guys have got Roth in a strait jacket. Our security guys carried a strait jacket on tour; I won't get into that part of it. But they used to carry a strait jacket on tour, and Roth was just, like, screaming naked, sitting in one of our security guys' rooms, wearing this strait jacket."

Anthony added: "Dave, he liked to drink Jack Daniel's, but he couldn't handle it like I can handle it. Dave'd have a little bit of Jack Daniel's and he'd get a little crazy. And I guess they found him wandering around outside the hotel naked. And this was just one night out of seven nights a week being on tour."

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Guys their age... well and myself included... are fortunate that mobile phones, cameras and video plus social media didn't exist back in the 70's, 80's and into the 90's. LOL
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The straitjacket thing was part of the "Panama" video, wasn't it? Of course I always assumed it was "acting", but who knows?
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    So Micheal watches a lot of TV and is now a psychotherapist. Fat idiot....

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    So Micheal watches a lot of TV and is now a psychotherapist. Fat idiot....
    If you had Sammy as your sex daddy you would have some issues too.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Wow Mike dishing on the "inside" here. How about Mike talk about how Van Halen rolled back all of his writing credits and he took it like a bitch? Let's look at what Noel Monk said about all this, and Noel had no love lost for Roth actually...

I might be wrong but I think Roth kind of (weakly) resisted and said that's not fair that he was left out and lobbied to get Mike into the "reunion " tours to no avail. No ballsacks left to swing on, Mike doesn't seem to have a relationship with Sam ether...
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 06-29-2023 at 10:09 PM.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Monk did say security put Roth in a straight jacket in his book. Who wants a sane rock star? Mike. You are boring.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    Guys their age... well and myself included... are fortunate that mobile phones, cameras and video plus social media didn't exist back in the 70's, 80's and into the 90's. LOL
    Camera's have been around even longer than you, you old bastard.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Monk did say security put Roth in a straight jacket in his book. Who wants a sane rock star? Mike. You are boring.
    He did and said they were a bunch of fucking retards for doing so and it happened because he wasn't there. He knew how to cajole or threaten Roth when needed and that his staff were sometimes idiots as there was no need to put Roth in a jacket, even if he was acting like a monkey-cunt. Monk said he would have intimidated Roth into behaving but his guys were stupid and didn't have his tact...

Apparently Dave was really pissed and upset about it and Monk apologized after an alcohol and drug fueled sitdown...
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 06-30-2023 at 06:15 AM.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    Well, by a few years anyway...

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    No shit Sherlock... but thankfully the prints, negatives and old super-8 reels are either rotting in someone's garage or composting in a California landfill by now!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Wow Mike dishing on the "inside" here. How about Mike talk about how Van Halen rolled back all of his writing credits and he took it like a bitch? Let's look at what Noel Monk said about all this, and Noel had no love lost for Roth actually...

I might be wrong but I think Roth kind of (weakly) resisted and said that's not fair that he was left out and lobbied to get Mike into the "reunion " tours to no avail. No ballsacks left to swing on, Mike doesn't seem to have a relationship with Sam ether...
    I used to feel mildly sorry for Mike re: his treatment from the Van Halens. The renegotiated contract, Ed not appreciating what Anthony brought to the group, being chucked out of the band and brought back in for the 2004 tour only at Hagar's insistence and only after apparently singing away some more of whatever rights he had managed to retain after 1984...

But all of that was done with Anthony's awareness along every step of the way, and - as you say - Anthony accepted it all, rather than showing some gumption and refusing to go along...it's like, how sorry can one feel for someone who willingly allows themselves to be treated that way? Anthony always had a choice.

And like you mentioned, Roth supposedly made some noises about how Anthony should have been included in the 2007-2015 reunion tours with Roth, yet Roth never put his foot down in 2006 and said it was either a full-on CVH reunion or good luck doing Van Halen Mach 4 with a fourth singer: like Anthony, in the end Roth accepted the terms the Van Halens offered. It wouldn't be a stretch to say that Wolfgang basically ran that band from 2006 on and Dave was free to take it or leave it.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    He did and said they were a bunch of fucking retards for doing so and it happened because he wasn't there. He knew how to cajole or threaten Roth when needed and that his staff were sometimes idiots as there was no need to put Roth in a jacket, even if he was acting like a monkey-cunt. Monk said he would have intimidated Roth into behaving but his guys were stupid and didn't have his tact...

Apparently Dave was really pissed and upset about it and Monk apologized after an alcohol and drug fueled sitdown...
    Usually it’s let them spend the night in jail. Jail is a great attitude adjuster.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I used to feel mildly sorry for Mike re: his treatment from the Van Halens. The renegotiated contract, Ed not appreciating what Anthony brought to the group, being chucked out of the band and brought back in for the 2004 tour only at Hagar's insistence and only after apparently singing away some more of whatever rights he had managed to retain after 1984...

But all of that was done with Anthony's awareness along every step of the way, and - as you say - Anthony accepted it all, rather than showing some gumption and refusing to go along...it's like, how sorry can one feel for someone who willingly allows themselves to be treated that way? Anthony always had a choice.

And like you mentioned, Roth supposedly made some noises about how Anthony should have been included in the 2007-2015 reunion tours with Roth, yet Roth never put his foot down in 2006 and said it was either a full-on CVH reunion or good luck doing Van Halen Mach 4 with a fourth singer: like Anthony, in the end Roth accepted the terms the Van Halens offered. It wouldn't be a stretch to say that Wolfgang basically ran that band from 2006 on and Dave was free to take it or leave it.
    Now you know why Mike is Sammy’s gimp. When Sam found out Mike was easy to ass fuck, he became Mike’s best buddy.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The Van Halen’s were fucks but Ed got a hall pass due to his incredible talent. Alex was a cave man. Mike was Bubba Gimp. Eddie was a savant. Dave was a brilliant eccentric who needed a babysitter.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The best thing about VH was the music and live show. I still listen to the music. I was lucky to see them more times than I can remember. I think they were the best in 1980.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Did anyone claim ever that Antony did write any of the songs? Why should we feel bad that after a long time this was taken away from him?

My (limited) understading of US music copyright law is that if Dave hadn't suggested splitting the writing royalties evenly 4 ways there was an argument that since they are split into 3 categories music, vocal melody and lyrics Roth should have got 66% and the Van Halen bros 17% each,

Everyone always goes on about what a great guy Mike is but anyone who is such good friends with a cunt like Hagar has to be a bit off.

Also I refuse to worry about how many 10s of millions each of this has anyway...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The best thing about VH was the music and live show. I still listen to the music. I was lucky to see them more times than I can remember. I think they were the best in 1980.
    Brilliant deeply incisive controversial post.

Until now I thought it was their knitting skills...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Brilliant deeply incisive controversial post.

Until now I thought it was their knitting skills...
    I just stated the obvious because it seems like a lot of fans want every detail of their lives. For me it was the basics.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Bands are pretty Democratic until they start to make real money and then it becomes who gets what. Lyrics get a separate royalty than the music so since Dave wrote the lyrics he would get a publishing royalty. Dave would be the highest paid member of band because of the publishing royalty on top of his cut of the band’s profits.

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Mike was still a valuable member of the band even though he didn’t write a note of the music. His voice remains a huge part of their sound and if he hadn’t been there at the beginning nobody can say they would have been as big. Dave was never going to put his foot down about anything after trying to get back in for 20 years, he was content to be onstage in front of more than 40 people again. 3/4 original plus 1/4 inevitable equals no “reunion” ever happened. Hate Mike all you want, but there was something missing from 2007-2015.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Heater View Post
    Hate Mike all you want, but there was something missing from 2007-2015.
    Many here have said that.

Would have been interesting to see if MA would have been welcomed back if there was a reunion with Hagar, or if Ed would have insisted Wolfgang stay in the band. Not bringing back MA might have been a deal breaker for Hagar.
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    WTF, I don't remember anticipating any Van Halen concerts saying, hey, I can't wait to hear MA's back vocals, MA was an important part of VH but if he were that important than his band with Hagar would have sold arenas and stadiums. So fuck him, bass players are replaceable anyways.

Van Halen has always been DLR and EVH... the rest the band were cosmetics.
    Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by So this is love View Post
    WTF, I don't remember anticipating any Van Halen concerts saying, hey, I can't wait to hear MA's back vocals, MA was an important part of VH but if he were that important than his band with Hagar would have sold arenas and stadiums. So fuck him, bass players are replaceable anyways.

I remember going to VH concerts during the original days and being blown away, I also remember going to VH concerts in 2012 and 2015 and knew something was missing.
    I’m guessing you never witnessed VH in the “glory days”.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The Van Halen’s were fucks but Ed got a hall pass due to his incredible talent. Alex was a cave man. Mike was Bubba Gimp. Eddie was a savant. Dave was a brilliant eccentric who needed a babysitter.
    Yeah, succinct summary for sure...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Did anyone claim ever that Antony did write any of the songs? Why should we feel bad that after a long time this was taken away from him?

My (limited) understading of US music copyright law is that if Dave hadn't suggested splitting the writing royalties evenly 4 ways there was an argument that since they are split into 3 categories music, vocal melody and lyrics Roth should have got 66% and the Van Halen bros 17% each,

Everyone always goes on about what a great guy Mike is but anyone who is such good friends with a cunt like Hagar has to be a bit off.

Also I refuse to worry about how many 10s of millions each of this has anyway...
    Yeah, but as Monk put it, then Al should have been cut out to as the ape drummer. Instead, he kept getting royalties he also had nothing to do writing for and hijacked band leadership and ultimately crashed the plane into Mount Douchemore...
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 07-02-2023 at 05:50 PM.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Heater View Post
    Mike was still a valuable member of the band even though he didn’t write a note of the music. His voice remains a huge part of their sound and if he hadn’t been there at the beginning nobody can say they would have been as big. Dave was never going to put his foot down about anything after trying to get back in for 20 years, he was content to be onstage in front of more than 40 people again. 3/4 original plus 1/4 inevitable equals no “reunion” ever happened. Hate Mike all you want, but there was something missing from 2007-2015.
    I don't disagree at all...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

I never said I wanna see Ed's pudgy son playing bass either....

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The pudgy son has been pissing in Twitter. He really is a fat brat.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    VH was the best live in 1980. They were still hungry and had been doing it long enough to really have it down.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well I got pummeled by the VH steam roller when it was a shockwave of sonic glory. Dave could scream his ass off in those days.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    VH was the best live in 1980. They were still hungry and had been doing it long enough to really have it down.
    A poster on a Roth video on YT claimed he's seen a proshot WACF (husbands and boyfriends last) video from Largo that exists....

Last edited by Nickdfresh; 07-03-2023 at 02:14 AM.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    A poster on a Roth video on YT claimed he's seen a proshot WACF (husbands and boyfriends last) video from Largo that exists....

You don't have the Largo bootleg? It's the same as the US Festival and the South America shows. Obviously "Pro Shot", but not first generation copies.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    VH was the best live in 1980.
    This is a tough one for me. The 1980 Invasion tour was a KILLER fucking show. It very well could have been their best. 1984 was my least favorite. Too much pomp and circumstance. The flow seemed interrupted too much by costume changes and other stuff. It doesn't come off as bad watching the Montreal bootleg, as it did in person though. Maybe the security guy fucking with me about taking my pictures had something to do with it too.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

I remember anticipating Van Halen concerts for the background vocals. To me, they were all 4 an integral part of the sound and the show. The magic. The chemistry. The fury. The visual. The sound. It was all very important to me at that time.

One must remember, in 2007 Mike's background vocals were piped in on that "reunion" tour. As some around here may remember, I was a guest of Doug's, the sound guy, at a soundcheck in 2007. I asked the question directly. They actually used tapes in the early stages and then dialed them back as the tour went on. I think Wolfgang eventually did stellar job on the background vocals, but it still wasn't MA. Wolf sang lead on every song at the soundcheck and they soundchecked every song on the setlist in its entirety. I actually saw two full VH shows that day. One at 50% VH and one at 75% VH. Or maybe it was 125% since Mike was piped in!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You don't have the Largo bootleg? It's the same as the US Festival and the South America shows. Obviously "Pro Shot", but not first generation copies.
    There's a well circulated Largo bootleg from the Diver Down/Hide Your Sheep 1982 tour which was pro-shot and has basically the same setlist as the 1983 South American shows and US Fest. Hadn't heard of a pro-shot show from the WACF tour.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Let me put it another way, MA has to be one of the luckiest men to walk this earth, riding the coattails of EVH and DLR from the beginning of VH... I am certainly not saying that he did not have a little talent but the guy was at the right place at the right time.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I do, but that was Diver Down. This has to be 80' or so, IDK if they hockey cameraman just turned on the cams and operated them for VH or if this was a meant to be a release of some sort but that's too early for a VHS...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    There's a well circulated Largo bootleg from the Diver Down/Hide Your Sheep 1982 tour which was pro-shot and has basically the same setlist as the 1983 South American shows and US Fest. Hadn't heard of a pro-shot show from the WACF tour.
    I'll see if I can hunt down the comment...

There was also a rumor that they shot the 1984 show at the Aud in Buffalo using Sabres camera equipment and staff, but never found or heard anything more. I used to know one of the old directors who also directed Hockey Night in Canada telecasts. He didn't know anything about it...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Is there video footage to this?

Thread Information