X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Silexxx
    Head Fluffer
    • Sep 2010

MA Reveals When He First 'Came To The Conclusion' That DLR Was 'Bipolar'

In a new interview with "THAT Rocks!", the weekly YouTube series hosted by Eddie Trunk, Jim Florentine and Don Jamieson, former VAN HALEN bassist Michael Anthony confirmed that he does "very little" social media nowadays. He said (as transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET): "I do a little bit of Instagramm...

In a new interview with "THAT Rocks!", the weekly YouTube series hosted by Eddie Trunk, Jim Florentine and Don Jamieson, former VAN HALEN bassist Michael Anthony confirmed that he does "very little" social media nowadays.

He said (as transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET): "I do a little bit of Instagramming and whatever, but… [otherwise] no… I don't like to get involved in the drama. And that was really hard in certain times in VAN HALEN. Because, believe me… It's kind of funny, because I look at TV and I'm watching things like 'Behind The Music' [specials] with other bands, and I go, 'Oh my God. Look at all the shit they went through.' And then I sit back and I go, 'Oh my God. We've got probably the most drama out of anybody.'"

Speaking about VAN HALEN's touring days with the band's original singer David Lee Roth, Michael said: "There was always drama on the Roth tours… There were times… God, I forget which tour it was. I'll just give you a real quick story — not so much drama, but just how it was with Dave on tour. We were staying somewhere in the Midwest, and Dave… After this, we all kind of came to the conclusion that he was bipolar. 'Cause he would be great, and then all of a sudden he would just kind of freak out or whatever. And one night… We had a night off, and everybody was… whatever we were doing. It was, like, around midnight, one in the morning, and everyone was pretty much back at the hotel. And I hear all this commotion out in the hall and pounding and screaming, and I'm going, 'What the hell is going on?' So I put my shorts on and I go walking down the hall. And our security guys have got Roth in a strait jacket. Our security guys carried a strait jacket on tour; I won't get into that part of it. But they used to carry a strait jacket on tour, and Roth was just, like, screaming naked, sitting in one of our security guys' rooms, wearing this strait jacket."

Anthony added: "Dave, he liked to drink Jack Daniel's, but he couldn't handle it like I can handle it. Dave'd have a little bit of Jack Daniel's and he'd get a little crazy. And I guess they found him wandering around outside the hotel naked. And this was just one night out of seven nights a week being on tour."
  • ZahZoo
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Guys their age... well and myself included... are fortunate that mobile phones, cameras and video plus social media didn't exist back in the 70's, 80's and into the 90's. LOL
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

The straitjacket thing was part of the "Panama" video, wasn't it? Of course I always assumed it was "acting", but who knows?
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

So Micheal watches a lot of TV and is now a psychotherapist. Fat idiot....

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
          So Micheal watches a lot of TV and is now a psychotherapist. Fat idiot....
          If you had Sammy as your sex daddy you would have some issues too.
          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Wow Mike dishing on the "inside" here. How about Mike talk about how Van Halen rolled back all of his writing credits and he took it like a bitch? Let's look at what Noel Monk said about all this, and Noel had no love lost for Roth actually...

I might be wrong but I think Roth kind of (weakly) resisted and said that's not fair that he was left out and lobbied to get Mike into the "reunion " tours to no avail. No ballsacks left to swing on, Mike doesn't seem to have a relationship with Sam ether...
            Last edited by Nickdfresh; 06-29-2023, 10:09 PM.

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Monk did say security put Roth in a straight jacket in his book. Who wants a sane rock star? Mike. You are boring.

Comment

• Von Halen
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                Guys their age... well and myself included... are fortunate that mobile phones, cameras and video plus social media didn't exist back in the 70's, 80's and into the 90's. LOL
                Camera's have been around even longer than you, you old bastard.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                  Monk did say security put Roth in a straight jacket in his book. Who wants a sane rock star? Mike. You are boring.
                  He did and said they were a bunch of fucking retards for doing so and it happened because he wasn't there. He knew how to cajole or threaten Roth when needed and that his staff were sometimes idiots as there was no need to put Roth in a jacket, even if he was acting like a monkey-cunt. Monk said he would have intimidated Roth into behaving but his guys were stupid and didn't have his tact...

Apparently Dave was really pissed and upset about it and Monk apologized after an alcohol and drug fueled sitdown...
                  Last edited by Nickdfresh; 06-30-2023, 06:15 AM.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
                    Well, by a few years anyway...

Comment

• ZahZoo
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
                      No shit Sherlock... but thankfully the prints, negatives and old super-8 reels are either rotting in someone's garage or composting in a California landfill by now!
                      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Terry
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

Wow Mike dishing on the "inside" here. How about Mike talk about how Van Halen rolled back all of his writing credits and he took it like a bitch? Let's look at what Noel Monk said about all this, and Noel had no love lost for Roth actually...

I might be wrong but I think Roth kind of (weakly) resisted and said that's not fair that he was left out and lobbied to get Mike into the "reunion " tours to no avail. No ballsacks left to swing on, Mike doesn't seem to have a relationship with Sam ether...
                        I used to feel mildly sorry for Mike re: his treatment from the Van Halens. The renegotiated contract, Ed not appreciating what Anthony brought to the group, being chucked out of the band and brought back in for the 2004 tour only at Hagar's insistence and only after apparently singing away some more of whatever rights he had managed to retain after 1984...

But all of that was done with Anthony's awareness along every step of the way, and - as you say - Anthony accepted it all, rather than showing some gumption and refusing to go along...it's like, how sorry can one feel for someone who willingly allows themselves to be treated that way? Anthony always had a choice.

And like you mentioned, Roth supposedly made some noises about how Anthony should have been included in the 2007-2015 reunion tours with Roth, yet Roth never put his foot down in 2006 and said it was either a full-on CVH reunion or good luck doing Van Halen Mach 4 with a fourth singer: like Anthony, in the end Roth accepted the terms the Van Halens offered. It wouldn't be a stretch to say that Wolfgang basically ran that band from 2006 on and Dave was free to take it or leave it.
                        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

He did and said they were a bunch of fucking retards for doing so and it happened because he wasn't there. He knew how to cajole or threaten Roth when needed and that his staff were sometimes idiots as there was no need to put Roth in a jacket, even if he was acting like a monkey-cunt. Monk said he would have intimidated Roth into behaving but his guys were stupid and didn't have his tact...

Apparently Dave was really pissed and upset about it and Monk apologized after an alcohol and drug fueled sitdown...
                          Usually it’s let them spend the night in jail. Jail is a great attitude adjuster.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                            I used to feel mildly sorry for Mike re: his treatment from the Van Halens. The renegotiated contract, Ed not appreciating what Anthony brought to the group, being chucked out of the band and brought back in for the 2004 tour only at Hagar's insistence and only after apparently singing away some more of whatever rights he had managed to retain after 1984...

But all of that was done with Anthony's awareness along every step of the way, and - as you say - Anthony accepted it all, rather than showing some gumption and refusing to go along...it's like, how sorry can one feel for someone who willingly allows themselves to be treated that way? Anthony always had a choice.

And like you mentioned, Roth supposedly made some noises about how Anthony should have been included in the 2007-2015 reunion tours with Roth, yet Roth never put his foot down in 2006 and said it was either a full-on CVH reunion or good luck doing Van Halen Mach 4 with a fourth singer: like Anthony, in the end Roth accepted the terms the Van Halens offered. It wouldn't be a stretch to say that Wolfgang basically ran that band from 2006 on and Dave was free to take it or leave it.
                            Now you know why Mike is Sammy’s gimp. When Sam found out Mike was easy to ass fuck, he became Mike’s best buddy.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

The Van Halen’s were fucks but Ed got a hall pass due to his incredible talent. Alex was a cave man. Mike was Bubba Gimp. Eddie was a savant. Dave was a brilliant eccentric who needed a babysitter.

Comment

Working...