Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

The best thing about VH was the music and live show. I still listen to the music. I was lucky to see them more times than I can remember. I think they were the best in 1980.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Terry
      I used to feel mildly sorry for Mike re: his treatment from the Van Halens. The renegotiated contract, Ed not appreciating what Anthony brought to the group, being chucked out of the band and brought back in for the 2004 tour only at Hagar's insistence and only after apparently singing away some more of whatever rights he had managed to retain after 1984...

But all of that was done with Anthony's awareness along every step of the way, and - as you say - Anthony accepted it all, rather than showing some gumption and refusing to go along...it's like, how sorry can one feel for someone who willingly allows themselves to be treated that way? Anthony always had a choice.

And like you mentioned, Roth supposedly made some noises about how Anthony should have been included in the 2007-2015 reunion tours with Roth, yet Roth never put his foot down in 2006 and said it was either a full-on CVH reunion or good luck doing Van Halen Mach 4 with a fourth singer: like Anthony, in the end Roth accepted the terms the Van Halens offered. It wouldn't be a stretch to say that Wolfgang basically ran that band from 2006 on and Dave was free to take it or leave it.
      Did anyone claim ever that Antony did write any of the songs? Why should we feel bad that after a long time this was taken away from him?

My (limited) understading of US music copyright law is that if Dave hadn't suggested splitting the writing royalties evenly 4 ways there was an argument that since they are split into 3 categories music, vocal melody and lyrics Roth should have got 66% and the Van Halen bros 17% each,

Everyone always goes on about what a great guy Mike is but anyone who is such good friends with a cunt like Hagar has to be a bit off.

Also I refuse to worry about how many 10s of millions each of this has anyway...

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Nitro Express
        The best thing about VH was the music and live show. I still listen to the music. I was lucky to see them more times than I can remember. I think they were the best in 1980.
        Brilliant deeply incisive controversial post.

Until now I thought it was their knitting skills...

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
          Brilliant deeply incisive controversial post.

Until now I thought it was their knitting skills...
          I just stated the obvious because it seems like a lot of fans want every detail of their lives. For me it was the basics.

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Bands are pretty Democratic until they start to make real money and then it becomes who gets what. Lyrics get a separate royalty than the music so since Dave wrote the lyrics he would get a publishing royalty. Dave would be the highest paid member of band because of the publishing royalty on top of his cut of the band’s profits.

Comment

• Heater
              Foot Soldier
              • Nov 2010

Mike was still a valuable member of the band even though he didn’t write a note of the music. His voice remains a huge part of their sound and if he hadn’t been there at the beginning nobody can say they would have been as big. Dave was never going to put his foot down about anything after trying to get back in for 20 years, he was content to be onstage in front of more than 40 people again. 3/4 original plus 1/4 inevitable equals no “reunion” ever happened. Hate Mike all you want, but there was something missing from 2007-2015.

Comment

• twonabomber
                formerly F A T
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Heater
                Hate Mike all you want, but there was something missing from 2007-2015.
                Many here have said that.

Would have been interesting to see if MA would have been welcomed back if there was a reunion with Hagar, or if Ed would have insisted Wolfgang stay in the band. Not bringing back MA might have been a deal breaker for Hagar.
                Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• So this is love
                  Veteran
                  • Jan 2012

WTF, I don't remember anticipating any Van Halen concerts saying, hey, I can't wait to hear MA's back vocals, MA was an important part of VH but if he were that important than his band with Hagar would have sold arenas and stadiums. So fuck him, bass players are replaceable anyways.

Van Halen has always been DLR and EVH... the rest the band were cosmetics.
                  Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

• Heater
                    Foot Soldier
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by So this is love
                    WTF, I don't remember anticipating any Van Halen concerts saying, hey, I can't wait to hear MA's back vocals, MA was an important part of VH but if he were that important than his band with Hagar would have sold arenas and stadiums. So fuck him, bass players are replaceable anyways.

I remember going to VH concerts during the original days and being blown away, I also remember going to VH concerts in 2012 and 2015 and knew something was missing.
                    I’m guessing you never witnessed VH in the “glory days”.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                      The Van Halen’s were fucks but Ed got a hall pass due to his incredible talent. Alex was a cave man. Mike was Bubba Gimp. Eddie was a savant. Dave was a brilliant eccentric who needed a babysitter.
                      Yeah, succinct summary for sure...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                        Did anyone claim ever that Antony did write any of the songs? Why should we feel bad that after a long time this was taken away from him?

My (limited) understading of US music copyright law is that if Dave hadn't suggested splitting the writing royalties evenly 4 ways there was an argument that since they are split into 3 categories music, vocal melody and lyrics Roth should have got 66% and the Van Halen bros 17% each,

Everyone always goes on about what a great guy Mike is but anyone who is such good friends with a cunt like Hagar has to be a bit off.

Also I refuse to worry about how many 10s of millions each of this has anyway...
                        Yeah, but as Monk put it, then Al should have been cut out to as the ape drummer. Instead, he kept getting royalties he also had nothing to do writing for and hijacked band leadership and ultimately crashed the plane into Mount Douchemore...
                        Last edited by Nickdfresh; 07-02-2023, 05:50 PM.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Heater
                          Mike was still a valuable member of the band even though he didn’t write a note of the music. His voice remains a huge part of their sound and if he hadn’t been there at the beginning nobody can say they would have been as big. Dave was never going to put his foot down about anything after trying to get back in for 20 years, he was content to be onstage in front of more than 40 people again. 3/4 original plus 1/4 inevitable equals no “reunion” ever happened. Hate Mike all you want, but there was something missing from 2007-2015.
                          I don't disagree at all...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by So this is love

I never said I wanna see Ed's pudgy son playing bass either....

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

The pudgy son has been pissing in Twitter. He really is a fat brat.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

VH was the best live in 1980. They were still hungry and had been doing it long enough to really have it down.

Comment

Working...