Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Sinead O’Connor Dead at 56

Sinead O’Connor Dead at 56
    Fiery Irish singer and songwriter was an unlikely Nineties pop superstar with "Nothing Compares 2 U," but career plagued by mental health issues

rollingstone.com
    Rolling Stone
    Keith Harris

Sinéad O’Connor, the fiery Irish singer and songwriter whose striking voice briefly made her an unlikely pop superstar in the early Nineties, while her bold public stances on child abuse, war, and organized religion kept her in the news, has died at the age of 56.

O’Connor’s family confirmed the singer’s death in a statement to Irish news network RTE, “It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of our beloved Sinéad. Her family and friends are devastated and have requested privacy at this very difficult time.” No cause of death was provided.

Already a rising star in the late ‘80s, O’Connor shot to fame in 1990 when her version of the Prince song “Nothing Compares 2 U” became a Number One hit. Her Celtic-tinged vocal style, marked by breathy swoops that were by turns soothing and abrasive, would echo throughout the Nineties, influencing singers such as Sarah McLachlan and Alanis Morissette, who said O’Connor’s music was “really moving for me, and very inspiring, before I wrote Jagged Little Pill.”

Though her singing was passionate and sensual, O’Connor avoided the cliché images that often straight-jacketed female rock stars. She was neither a girlish sexpot nor a hippie free-spirit nor a posturing tough chick, and her fiercely idiosyncratic personal style – shaved head, emotionally ambiguous facial expressions, loose outfits – helped younger female artists discover new ways to reinvent themselves.

Sinéad Marie Bernadette O’Connor was born on December 8, 1966, in Glenageary, County Dublin, Ireland. Her parents separated when she was eight, and Sinéad, along with her two of her four siblings, went to live with her mother. O’Connor would later claim that her mother, who died in a 1985 car accident, physically abused her. She sang about the effects of this abuse on her 1994 song “Fire on Babylon” and consistently advocated for abused children throughout her life. “The cause of all the world’s problems, as far as I’m concerned, is child abuse,” she said in 1991.
    Editor’s picks

Fellow musicians recognized O’Connor’s gifts early on. When she was 15, she co-wrote “Take My Hand,” the first single for the soon-to-be successful Irish rock band In Tua Nua. In 1984 she and Colm Farrelly formed Ton Ton Macoute, and the group made a name for itself on the Dublin rock scene. But O’Connor outshone her bandmates and was soon signed to Ensign Records. She moved to London and co-wrote “Heroine” with The Edge for the film Captive. U2 were early supporters of O’Connor’s music, but she alienated them by dismissing the band as “bombastic” and defending the violent tactics of the Irish Republican Army. She also shaved her head. “[The heads of Ensign] wanted me to wear high-heel boots and tight jeans and grow my hair,” O’Connor told Rolling Stone in 1991. “And I decided that they were so pathetic that I shaved my head so there couldn’t be any further discussion.”

The recording sessions for O’Connor’s debut album got off to a rocky start. She clashed with her initial producer, industry veteran Mick Glossip, firing him, scrapping the initial recordings, and badmouthing him to the press. O’Connor convinced her label to let her produce the album herself, with recording assistance from drummer John Reynolds – who was also the father of O’Connor’s first son, Jake, born during this time. When The Lion and the Cobra came out in 1987, it went gold, was critically lauded, and earned O’Connor her first Grammy nomination. “Mandinka” became a modern rock hit. O’Connor, who was among the first rock musicians to embrace hip-hop, also crossed over to urban audiences with a remix of “I Want Your (Hands on Me)” that featured MC Lyte.

But it was O’Connor’s 1990 follow-up album, I Do Not Want What I Haven’t Got, anchored by her haunting rendition of Prince’s “Nothing Compares 2 U,” (a song he originally wrote for his side project, the Family) that would make the singer an international star. The album was heavily inspired by O’Connor’s mother.“The songs on this record were really about her,” she said in 2009. “Even the fucking title I got from having a dream about her, and in this dream she said to me, “I do not want what I haven’t got.” In my mind, even ‘Nothing Compares 2 U’ was me thinking about her.” A critical success that also went double platinum, I Do Not Want What I Haven’t Got seemed like the start of a long, unpredictably great career. But O’Connor’s music would never again be this popular, or this celebrated.
    Related

In 1990, O’Connor became nearly as well-known for her unyielding public actions as for her music. She refused to appear as a musical guest on an episode of Saturday Night Live hosted by misogynist comic Andrew Dice Clay. That summer, she would not allow a New Jersey concert venue to play the U.S. national anthem before a performance; in response, some radio stations stopped playing music and Frank Sinatra threatened to “kick her in the ass.” Along with Public Enemy, she boycotted the 1991 Grammy Awards to protest the first Gulf War. But her most controversial act was yet to come.

In 1992, O’Connor released her third album, Am I Not Your Girl?, a collection of lushly orchestrated cover songs, mostly jazz and pre-rock pop standards, that puzzled critics and fans alike. That October, shortly after the album’s release, she was the musical guest on Saturday Night Live. She sang an a cappella version of Bob Marley’s “War,” the lyrics modified slightly to protest sexual abuse in the Catholic Church, and as she sang the word “evil,” she showed a photo of Pope John Paul II, which she then ripped apart. Saying “Fight the real enemy,” O’Connor then flung the scraps at the camera. The audience responded with silence.

The public response was explosive, ranging from fierce outrage to dismissive mockery. Joe Pesci, SNL‘s host the following week, threatened O’Connor, saying “I would have gave her such a smack.” Even Madonna (perhaps a little envious that an equally skilled pop provocateur might upstage her) called O’Connor’s actions inappropriate, and parodied the act on SNL in 1993. Just two weeks after her SNL performance, O’Connor took the stage at Madison Square Garden to perform “I Believe in You” at a Bob Dylan tribute concert, where she could barely be heard over the roars of the audience, which was split between supporters and detractors. Defiantly, she again sang “War.”

With her new album foundering on the charts and the public outcry becoming a distraction, O’Connor took some time off – according to some reports she’d retired. In 1994 she released Universal Mother, which included an astounding version of Nirvana’s “All Apologies,” but the album struggled commercially and her career never stabilized. The only other music O’Connor would release in the ‘90s was the Gospel Oak EP in 1997. Meanwhile, her personal life stayed in the news. She and Irish journalist John Waters engaged in a nasty public dispute over custody of their daughter, Roisin (O’Connor’s second child). Then, in 1999, O’Connor was ordained as a priest in a splinter Catholic sect, the Latin Tridentine Church, as Mother Bernadette Mary.

In 2000, O’Connor signed with Atlantic Records. Her debut for the label, Faith and Courage, sounded like an attempt to regain commercial relevance, but with its too-broad range of producers – from Wyclef Jean and Kevin “She’kspere” Briggs to Dave Stewart and Brian Eno – it came off as unfocused. O’Connor regrouped musically with the 2002 collection of Irish folk, Sean-Nós Nua, and an even more successful collection of reggae classics, Throw Down Your Arms, with Jamaican superproducers Sly and Robbie, in 2005.

O’Connor continued to record, releasing the albums Theology (2007), How About I Be Me (and You Be You)? (2012), and I’m Not Bossy, I’m the Boss (2014). But the world paid more attention to her public statements than her art. In 2013, O’Connor wrote a much-discussed “open letter” to Miley Cyrus, “to send healthier messages to your peers… they and you are worth more than what is currently going on in your career.” After Prince’s death in 2016, she called the late superstar (with whom she had apparently never gotten along) “a long time hard drug user” and referred to Arsenio Hall his “dealer.”
    Trending

O’Connor was believed to have suffered from mental health issues for years. On The Oprah Winfrey Show in 2007, O’Connor said she’d been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, and that she’d attempted suicide in 1999 on her 33rd birthday. However, she reappeared on the program seven years later to say that she’d gotten several second opinions and believed she’d been misdiagnosed. O’Connor posted what appeared to be a suicide note on her Facebook page in November 2015, lashing out at her family members. When she disappeared during a biking trip in suburban Chicago in May 2016, there were widespread fears for her life. A yearlong stay in a trauma and addiction treatment program followed in 2020.

O’Connor’s legacy enjoyed a resurgence in recent years with a memoir and an acclaimed documentary, but just as quickly as tragedy struck as the singer revealed that her 17-year-old son Shane died by suicide in Jan. 2022, just days after he went missing from an Irish hospital’s suicide watch. O’Connor’s own death came 18 months after that of her son.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Still have her first two albums somewhere. Thought her early music was good actually. Talented singer. Beautiful woman, despite her hairstyle (or lack thereof), but no doubt she had some "issues". Hope she found peace somehow.....

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    First time I heard this one... pretty decent cover. Not an easy one to pull off either.....

Charcoal Mellowed
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Don't think this was on the original album... must be some sort of remastered bonus track thing.....

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Her music was quite boring to me. But god rest her tortured soul.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Morrissey rips insultingly stupid sinead oconnor coverage

I like Morrissey's take...

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/morr...oconnor-death/

As the world mourns the death of acclaimed Irish singer Sinead O’Connor, Morrissey has criticized media outlets and the record industry for not supporting O’Connor during her life.

“She had only so much ‘self’ to give,” Morrissey wrote to his website. “She was dropped by her label after selling 7 million albums for them. She became crazed, yes, but uninteresting, never. She had done nothing wrong. She had proud vulnerability … and there is a certain music industry hatred for singers who don’t ‘fit in’ (this I know only too well), and they are never praised until death - when, finally, they can’t answer back.”

From there, the former frontman of the Smiths turned his ire towards the media.

“The cruel playpen of fame gushes with praise for Sinead today … with the usual moronic labels of ‘icon’ and ‘legend,” Morrissey wrote. “You praise her now ONLY because it is too late. You hadn’t the guts to support her when she was alive and she was looking for you. The press will label artists as pests because of what they withhold … and they would call Sinead sad, fat, shocking, insane … oh but not today! Music CEOs who had put on their most charming smile as they refused her for their roster are queuing-up to call her a ‘feminist icon,’ and 15 minute celebrities and goblins from hell and record labels of artificially aroused diversity are squeezing onto Twitter to twitter their jibber-jabber … when it was YOU who talked Sinead into giving up … because she refused to be labeled, and she was degraded, as those few who move the world are always degraded.”

Morrissey went on to compare O’Connor to Judy Garland, Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, Marilyn Monroe and Billie Holiday, all immensely talented and successful female artists whose tragic deaths were caused by drugs or alcohol. It should be noted that O’Connor’s official cause of death has not yet been announced.

Read More: Morrissey Rips 'Insultingly Stupid' Sinead O’Connor Coverage | https://ultimateclassicrock.com/morr...edium=referral

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Generally I agree with what Morrissey said there, but comparing Sinead to Whitney Houston might be the worst thing you could ever say about her. I do think it's sad the direction Whitney's life took after she married that idiot Bobby Brown, but she had already wasted her talent on bland corporate easy listening music way before that.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Generally I agree with what Morrissey said there, but comparing Sinead to Whitney Houston might be the worst thing you could ever say about her. I do think it's sad the direction Whitney's life took after she married that idiot Bobby Brown, but she had already wasted her talent on bland corporate easy listening music way before that.
    Houston had such a fantastic voice but - as you say - had wasted it on pop songs mostly solely concerned with love.

I basically agree with what Morrissey said re: O'Connor coverage of her death as well. Primarily because it reflects the same public reaction to celebrity deaths I started to notice when David Bowie died, where you get this celeb who hasn't been doing much for quite some time - their records haven't been selling for ages or whatever - and they pass away and you get this cacophony of laudatory posts on the internet, the number of which doesn't match up to the amount of interest expressed when the individual was still alive. Like, the bass player for the Moody Blues passes away and a million cunts take to Twitter to say how they ALWAYS loved the Moody Blues and how their bass player was 'the GOAT' or some such nonsense...like, fuck you. The only Moody Blues song you kinda knew was Nights In White Satin (and only because your parents listened to it) and prior to his death you couldn't have named their bass player on a bet.

Yeah, I liked O'Connor 35 or so years ago. Have listened to a few of her tracks maybe once or twice in the last ten years...basically, the reality is I had forgotten about her, wasn't wondering what she was up to, etc. but now I'm gonna take to social media and publicly declare how great I thought she was because it's important for everyone to know how great I thought she was? Fuck that.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Houston had such a fantastic voice but - as you say - had wasted it on pop songs mostly solely concerned with love.

... Like, the bass player for the Moody Blues passes away and a million cunts take to Twitter to say how they ALWAYS loved the Moody Blues and how their bass player was 'the GOAT' or some such nonsense...like, fuck you. The only Moody Blues song you kinda knew was Nights In White Satin (and only because your parents listened to it) and prior to his death you couldn't have named their bass player on a bet. ...
    Fuck I just had a flashback to the early 80s that hurt my ears. My hillbilly stepfather transplant from Missouri to San Diego... we ride in his pickup truck after work to do father-son things and he's fucking blasting the Moody Blues on the cassette player. 1 it hurt my ears. 2 what the fuck is this?

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Houston was steered in that direction by Clive Davis. Who knows if she'd have been able to do anything different even if she wanted to.
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This is about as Irish as a pint of Guinness with a shot of Jameson dropped in it.....

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    Houston was steered in that direction by Clive Davis. Who knows if she'd have been able to do anything different even if she wanted to.
    And yet he wouldn't sign Deathtongue because they wanted to run over Lionel Richie with a tank....

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Thread Information