• Show
Clear All
  • twonabomber
    formerly F A T
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

UCR: All 75 Roth Era Van Halen Songs Ranked

#75 is 1984. I guess that's a good start
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Well, the number #1 is a solid choice. Can't argue with any of the top 10... except maybe "Panama" just because it's overplayed on the radio. Pretty much a joke though if they think "I'll Wait" is better than anything on ADKOT or Diver Down.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Terry
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

I went through phases in terms of which songs I listened to more than others.

Like, for years when I listened to Fair Warning I'd often skip over Push Comes To Shove because I considered it the weakest track on the record. Over time, I grew to appreciate it more and more.

Without even looking at the list (and I'm not gonna bother looking at it because I'm all Internet Top Ten/Best Of All Time listed out, regardless of the subject), I'm assuming Jump is much, much higher up than I would have it.

I thought Where Have All The Good Times Gone was a bit pedestrian back in the day and still do, though while I once dismissed Big Bad Bill (Is Sweet William Now) as a novelty track I've come to enjoy it more and more.

On the whole, the great thing about the Roth Van Halen catalog is it contains very few tracks that are expendable. About the only one that really springs to mind - if we're including ADKOT - is The Trouble With Never. THAT would have came off as something rushed and half-assed to me on a Roth solo record (much less a Van Halen album).
      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Apart from the guy not liking ADKOT compared to the original which is a legitimate opinion, this ranking is pretty close to random.

Comment

• Von Halen
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Terry

I thought Where Have All The Good Times Gone was a bit pedestrian back in the day and still do, though while I once dismissed Big Bad Bill (Is Sweet William Now) as a novelty track I've come to enjoy it more and more.
          I was out cruising in the dune buggy yesterday and actually let Where Have All The Good Times Gone play in its entirety. I don't usually do that. Big Bad Bill too, but I've always loved that song.

I'd have put Jump at 75 and 1984 at 74.

The most glaring thing about this list to me, is we only got 75 Roth era songs from this band!

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I went through phases in terms of which songs I listened to more than others.

Like, for years when I listened to Fair Warning I'd often skip over Push Comes To Shove because I considered it the weakest track on the record. Over time, I grew to appreciate it more and more.
            Worth it for the solo alone.

On the whole, the great thing about the Roth Van Halen catalog is it contains very few tracks that are expendable. About the only one that really springs to mind - if we're including ADKOT - is The Trouble With Never. THAT would have came off as something rushed and half-assed to me on a Roth solo record (much less a Van Halen album).

It's very strange that they chose that one to play live.

Comment

• silverfish
              Foot Soldier
              • Mar 2007

Without even looking at the list (and I'm not gonna bother looking at it because I'm all Internet Top Ten/Best Of All Time listed out, regardless of the subject)....
              Granted, lists like this are pretty much subjective/useless but in this case I got a kick outta reading the song
              entry blurbs as opposed to worrying about which song ranked where.
              Originally posted by sadaist
              I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

Comment

• Rikk
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

I hated this list. I've never thought that ADKOT was completely as consistent as the six-pack...but some of these songs are better than several songs on the earlier albums. To make almost the first 13 songs just reunion songs (and to shit on ME WISE MAGIC so much)...no way.

I still love ADKOT. It was the first great (let alone good) Van Halen album in many, many years.
                Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

Working...