X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rikk
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Even Sammy Hagar, compared to Wolfgang, is a nice guy who likes his fans (again, compared to Wolfgang). Sammy (or his people) has been finding rare VH songs on YouTube (some 5150 outtake called I WANT SOME ACTION) and posting them on his own YouTube channel, saying it's cool for fans to get to hear stuff like this. He's even been taking rare video clips from concerts during his era of the band and throwing them up, free of charge, on his YouTube channel.

In a recent interview, Sam spoke of Ed's archive, saying there is a good handful of songs the band recorded during their four albums with him that he thinks should get heard (including this BETWEEN US TWO song the band were working on for BEST OF but never got released because he & Ed ended up fighting over it...leading to his leaving). The guy may have NOT been the right singer for Van Halen (only one person is), but even Sam isn't trashing fans for wanting to hear more material. He understands it and encourages it and even tries to give fans of that era more hope.
    Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
    Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
      Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Fairwrning
      Who is the blonde Ed kisses on the cheek in the tuning room at end?
      I believe that was Sue Anthony.
      =V V=
      ole No.1 The finest
      EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

There seemed to be a bit of a swinger thing going on with the 4 of them.

Comment

• Rikk
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
          There seemed to be a bit of a swinger thing going on with the 4 of them.
          Is the rumor that Dave fucked Al's first wife TRUE?? I read that in at least one of my VH books. I'm not sure how much truth there is to the story.

(While sitting on the 1984 tour plane, Al did tell Noel Monk's wife that he wanted to fuck her...while Noel was sitting right there.)
          Roth Army Militia

Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
            Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Rikk
            Is the rumor that Dave fucked Al's first wife TRUE?? I read that in at least one of my VH books. I'm not sure how much truth there is to the story.

(While sitting on the 1984 tour plane, Al did tell Noel Monk's wife that he wanted to fuck her...while Noel was sitting right there.)
            Noel's wife was cute so I wouldn't be surprised if that was true. However, we don't know whether a lot of what Monk said was true.
            =V V=
            ole No.1 The finest
            EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Rikk
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
              Noel's wife was cute so I wouldn't be surprised if that was true. However, we don't know whether a lot of what Monk said was true.
              Yeah, Monk definitely came off as a bit of a Bitter Betty...his book was definitely him scraping away for a quick payday.

Boy, did he bitch a lot about Dave in the book.

I enjoyed Ted Templeman's book much more. It was much more about the creating of music. He really went quite in-depth into the making of each album in the six-pack. And he made it VERY clear that he simply wasn't interested in producing the 5150 album. To this day, he considers it one of the biggest letdowns of his career that he couldn't keep the original Van Halen together. It's very obvious, reading the book, that he never really accepted the band moving on without Dave (and Dave moving on without them).

I also enjoyed the Little Feat stuff (really cool band) and some of the other albums he mentioned working on...including (attack me all you want...it's a great album) the first Montrose album.
              Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Is the rumor that Dave fucked Al's first wife TRUE??
                I have heard that one before but I just meant that Val and Mike are pretty friendly in the video too.

Comment

• Terry
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

Von & I keep saying it: NO BAND HATES THEIR FANS LIKE VAN HALEN.

I've never seen anything like it. Literally mocking fans for wanting something, anything...from their sea of studio & live archives, endless amounts of never-released film/video projects.

And then, when fans go absolutely INSANE, excited beyond belief to see a scrap of footage from the band's peak, the band is insanely doing everything they can to take it down...ban it...make sure it's NOT seen. Taking down every YouTube link.

...And they're doing all this while stating proudly in interviews that fans shouldn't "hold their breath" for ANYTHING to EVER get released. And stating that while there is a ton in the archives, everything good already got released (contradicting what engineers who've already compiled & mastered never-released entire box sets) and that what's on the officially-released albums is all we should ever get to hear. Ever.

What other band goes out of their way to upset fans for...THE SIMPLE CRIME OF LOVING YOUR BAND AND WANTING, DYING TO HEAR MORE...KNOWING THERE IS A LOT MORE TO HEAR/SEE.

I love Van Halen. And, at the same time, I hate Van Halen.

I can't believe the supremely-overweight rich kid who inherited all his dad's money but little of his talent gets to speak for all representatives of the band and all the fans.

Van Halen HATE, HATE, HATE their fans.
                  I wouldn't say it's necessarily the band on the whole that hates the fans, but the Van Halens clearly don't give a shit.

I only say that because Roth, Anthony and Hagar (at least from what they've said in interviews) are all for putting out archive material.

And, yeah, it's bizarre. Even beyond whatever principled stance Ed and Al had about their belief that anything worth putting out already was, just from a business standpoint...um, well, the cats already out of the bag with a fair amount of CVH live concerts anyway. Has been for ages. And stuff is still surfacing anyway - Donnington case in point.

The band should have put out a Roth era live dvd twenty years ago. Or multiple dvds. It's like, why not just embrace the demand and make a few bucks off it? Instead of seeing all the stuff uploaded for free?

The CVH Roth era has...what? An opening set from 1978 out there. A full set from Fair Warning out there. At least 4 full sets from the Diver Down period out there. Montreal 1984 out there. Now Donnington. Plus a bunch of live audio boots have been circulating for years along with the Zero/Simmons demos.

And this bizarre stance was in place before Wolfgang was in the band.

Bit of a head scratcher, to be sure, but whatever.
                  Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I used to think they hadn't released a live album because of concerns about Roth's vocals but after the Tokyo album that's not the issue any more if it ever was.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

There's no question Van Halen hates their fans... but to be fair... all the take downs of this Donnington 1984 video on YT is a result of some greedy jackass bootleg hoarder making ownership claims of the original physical media... not the content or copyright ownership... using YT legal loopholes to attempt to protect his ability to profit from it and get some perverse pleasure of denying others of enjoying this gem of history captured on film.
                      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Rikk
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                        There's no question Van Halen hates their fans... but to be fair... all the take downs of this Donnington 1984 video on YT is a result of some greedy jackass bootleg hoarder making ownership claims of the original physical media... not the content or copyright ownership... using YT legal loopholes to attempt to protect his ability to profit from it and get some perverse pleasure of denying others of enjoying this gem of history captured on film.
                        Good point. And seriously, I'd like to beat the living shit out of this footage hoarder.

If I had my hands on some seriously kickass VH footage, I would want to do one thing and one thing only: GET IT OUT THERE TO THE FANS TO ENJOY.

I couldn't give a shit about making money off of it or hoarding it for myself.

This guy is a serious piece of shit.
                        Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Good point. And seriously, I'd like to beat the living shit out of this footage hoarder.

If I had my hands on some seriously kickass VH footage, I would want to do one thing and one thing only: GET IT OUT THERE TO THE FANS TO ENJOY.

You can imagine the guy...

Comment

• Rikk
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                            You can imagine the guy...

You're not kidding.

THAT'S EXACTLY HOW I PICTURED THE FAT TUB OF FOOTAGE-HOARDING LARD!!!

Maybe he's that grumpy trading freak, Lou, that used to post here eons ago.
                            Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Fairwrning
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

I put it on my youtube and got a whopping 25 views in a day and the prick reported it and had it removed..Thanks for the link above..I have it saved on my laptop

Comment

• Seshmeister
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

One of the download links above has stopped working, I've changed the first post to show the one that is still fine.

Comment

Working...