Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Van Halen Donnington 1984

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Don't want this thread to go off topic too much (yet at least) but this is probably the worst attempt at a cover by a professional drummer I have ever seen.

Why didn't he just say no guys I can't play that. Actually why didn't the rest of the band? Its totally inexplicable...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    I won't lie and claim I didn't listen to Eddie the years after his work on 1984...but not with the same closeness and admiration. I never noticed him truly develop past that. But just from my ears alone (again, I don't play guitar), TOP JIMMY sounds pretty insane compared to some of the stuff off the first album (which was also stunning work).

But after that, Eddie just didn't seem inspired to be a guitar hero to the same degree. I love A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUTH, but he's still using his same bag o' tricks (even down to the songs themselves).
    Post-1984, Ed didn't do much that wowed me from a guitarist standpoint, or much of anything that made me want to learn how to play it. About the only thing after Roth left that I recall trying to figure out was the title track from 5150. I also thought Pleasuredome was interesting in terms of the guitar work.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Post-1984, Ed didn't do much that wowed me from a guitarist standpoint, or much of anything that made me want to learn how to play it. About the only thing after Roth left that I recall trying to figure out was the title track from 5150. I also thought Pleasuredome was interesting in terms of the guitar work.
    Yup. There are some admirable tracks here and there. Sammy just tends to ruin them.

But PLEASURE DOME is maybe the only thing I can say I actually like off F.U.C.K. (in my opinion, the worst VH album ever...even worse than VHIII). It's proggy, it's interesting (musically)... But those were certainly the times of slim pickins from VH.

"5150" (the song) is also pretty good for Van Hagar. I also like BLACK 'N' BLUE (though, lyrically, it's fucking terrible).
    Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
    Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yup. There are some admirable tracks here and there. Sammy just tends to ruin them.

But PLEASURE DOME is maybe the only thing I can say I actually like off F.U.C.K. (in my opinion, the worst VH album ever...even worse than VHIII). It's proggy, it's interesting (musically)... But those were certainly the times of slim pickins from VH.

"5150" (the song) is also pretty good for Van Hagar. I also like BLACK 'N' BLUE (though, lyrically, it's fucking terrible).
    Pleasuredome I like far as the guitar work because it was creative...something that didn't sound lazy or recycled, two words that describe the bulk of Van Hagar's output...even in terms of the instrumentation, most of the Van Hagar stuff didn't come off as inspired or smack of the band making much of an effort. With 5150, the band was for the most part making an effort. Didn't care for the bulk of the results, but they were still trying. Black and Blue always came off to me as something lazy and recycled.

But, yeah, by and large for me the best Ed had to offer was served up on those first 6 albums.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Another one. Uploader says in the description that he tried to clean up the video and improve the audio. Now it's maybe little bit out of sync but hey, they haven't taken this down.. Yet.

One thing I have noticed that every one of these uploads have easily have almost 100k views in a very short time before they have been taken down. So I would say there's definitely interest for official CVH video release.

I would also argue that it could still sell even if the days of music dvds are over. Box set could be cool. But I remember many GnR fans were pissed when they finally last year released the Ritz '91 show on a shiny 4k remastered bluray and it was only available if you ordered this the huge ass Use Your Illusion box set. But they still bought it because it was something that was never released.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Silexxx View Post
    I would also argue that it could still sell even if the days of music dvds are over. Box set could be cool. But I remember many GnR fans were pissed when they finally last year released the Ritz '91 show on a shiny 4k remastered bluray and it was only available if you ordered this the huge ass Use Your Illusion box set. But they still bought it because it was something that was never released.
    You're 100% right on this one.

I have noticed that there has been an increasing number of physical releases in the last year. Disney made a vow a couple years back that they were almost done with physical releases. THEN...they not only released the entire Star Wars series in 4K (Episodes I-IX...really good set...I bought it, though I hate THE LAST JEDI and RISE OF SKYWALKER) but now they just announced the first two seasons of THE MANDALORIAN in Blu-Ray. There is a market for physical releases still.

I just bought the box set of Clapton's 24 NIGHTS series. 6 CDs, 3 Blu-Rays. Great set.

Creedence Clearwater Revival found all the film cans of their 1970 Royal Albert Hall concert and the multi-track masters. They put together a brand new concert film, newly-mixed, edited & remastered. The box set is limited (official website only)...I got one. Beautiful set. BUT...it's also showing on Netflix.

There is a market for this sort of stuff still...even just streaming sometimes.

If the original Van Halen released a concert film, there would be a market.

FUCK WOLFGANG! That walking giant plum may try and keep disrespecting fans, but the hunger for original VH archive material will be there.

...even the reunion years. Could he really justify not releasing a Blu-Ray of the reunion band doing a concert? Would it be so bad for him to have a concert film out there of he and his dad playing together in Van Halen? I wouldn't be as excited about that as I would something from the original years, but it would still be Dave...it would still be something. (The band apparently not only archived digital multitrack of every single show since Dave rejoined but they also kept an archive of each show, professionally-shot.)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    I think the current internet theory based on some evidence is that this is a collector/dealer who bought the tape from Noel Monk's estate. He had been selling it to private collectors and one of them decided it should be made public either because he is just a fan and thought that after 39 fucking years we deserved to see it or because the sale had been made under the terms of it being exclusive and then then found out he had been conned because it was being sold to multiple people.

I've seen some sheepish fans on social media say that the guy who put this into the public domain should be outed so he can be punished by Van Halen lawyers and I couldn't disagree more.

39 years they have done nothing with this or anything else - footage of a public event in front of 65 000 people. Plus presumably Noel Monk's estate got a little bit of cash for it and maybe he could have been treated a bit better by VH Inc back in the day. Who knows but he did help generate an huge amount of money for WB especially and tens of millions for the band members.
    I found some more details on the origins of this gem... allegedly someone stole a copy of this from Pacific Titles. This is the very tapes listed on the inventory sheets that have circulated on the net for years every time discussions come up on what's "in the vaults".

Here's 2 posts from the guy who put this up on YT...

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...7-min.1182362/

Here's the deal...
    I got sent a link to download this show if I promised to create a YT Channel and upload it for all the fans.

This is the best footage of VH on the 1984 tour. It's killer.
    Four shows later they were done, never to play again together in the original lineup.

Technical details and other nerdy stuff:
    This was shot with one camera on 16mm film
    by British Cinematographer Steve Alcorn.
    The audio is mono, and is not soundboard.
    It's a single mic onstage, near the speakers
    and you can hear everything clearly.

There was another camera at this show, covering part of it for the
    BBC show "Old Grey Whistle Test".
    That video is on YT as well and that's the only the footage
    everyone has seen from this show until now.

My guess is that this camera was working for Van Halen/Warner Bros.
    because he has access to the whole stage and is allowed to go anywhere.
    This footage was probably transferred at Pacific Title to video tape
    and put on a shelf at Pacific Title until someone "liberated" it a few years ago.|
    Here's a one page photocopy of the original ledger of VH media at Pacific Title.
    Donnington footage is listed at the top.

archive08 — Postimages

Enjoy!
    And NO BOZO's
    Last edited: Sunday at 9:08 PM
    jammybastard, Sunday at 9:00 PM#1
    Just to be clear this doesn't come from VH world. This show was released in Japan on DVD earlier this year b/c someone stole a copy from the VH media vault.
    [​IMG]

I got the link to the master file from someone who's well known in the VH fan community but wanted to remain anonymous.
    They offered me the master file if I would create a YT channel and put it up in an effort to beat the bootleggers.
    Now the link to the master file has been posted to Reddit as well.
    Good times if you are a fan. We'll see how long it all stay online and available.
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Seeing Mike, Al and Dave at the bottom of the staircase getting ready for the show is so great. Its truly like time travelling to that period.

You can see Noel, Big Ed Anderson.....Pete Angelus is off to the right and everyone else in the VH crew.

And then Rudy Leirin conversing with Dave before going on stage and then actually seeing him deliver the famous "...mighty Van halen!!" intro.
    =V V=
    ole No.1 The finest
    EAT US AND SMILE

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
    Seeing Mike, Al and Dave at the bottom of the staircase getting ready for the show is so great. Its truly like time travelling to that period.

You can see Noel, Big Ed Anderson.....Pete Angelus is off to the right and everyone else in the VH crew.

And then Rudy Leirin conversing with Dave before going on stage and then actually seeing him deliver the famous "...mighty Van halen!!" intro.
    I was literally scrolling through YouTube in my home theater a few nights ago (to be honest, I was clicking on some freaking Karen videos because they crack me up).

THEN...I see something saying "Van Halen Donington"...and at first, I was going to skip over it, thinking it was just the same HOT FOR TEACHER footage. Then I saw how long the video was and I suddenly stared at the link pic.

I then clicked on it, furrowing my brow. I started staring at the footage, seeing Alex, Dave and everyone walking up that staircase. I then started watching the concert. I FREAKED!

I ran upstairs, ran over to my computer, copied the link into my YouTube downloading program and immediately DOWNLOADED THE FUCK OUT OF THE FOOTAGE. It took about 45 seconds to download the hour plus footage, but I was nervous that somehow the link was going to be taken down before it finished downloading.

The Holy Fucking Grail. I still can't believe we have this footage now.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

And then forgets to give Dave the fucking mike.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Who is the guy lying on the ground at the start behind Dave? I'm thinking what an asshole but I could be wrong...

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    More details on the origins discussed in this podcast... skip to the 1:00 hour mark. A lot of talk about elite traders and a bunch of bullshit on pirated KI$$ videos which links into how this VH video made it out into the open.

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Can't believe the guy says it MIGHT be more important footage than " Live without a net"...buuwhhhaaa I will agree that solo in LWAN is amazing...but the one at Donnington is better imo...
    Last edited by Fairwrning; 08-26-2023 at 10:05 AM.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Is that MelodiCrock Andrew with the ZZ Top beard?
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairwrning View Post
    Can't believe the guy says it MIGHT be more important footage than " Live without a net"...buuwhhhaaa I will agree that solo in LWAN is amazing...but the one at Donnington is better imo...
    I would most definately like to be the judge of that but this video is no longer available or I dont have time when its available. By chance I watched a little of it when it was first uploaded on YT earlier this week during my nightime piss and since then its no longer available for fuck sake...lol
    Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The guitar solo spot on LWAN is great if you can ignore Ed's pants but the rest of it is a rancid pile of steaming cumshit.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by So this is love View Post
    I would most definately like to be the judge of that but this video is no longer available or I dont have time when its available. By chance I watched a little of it when it was first uploaded on YT earlier this week during my nightime piss and since then its no longer available for fuck sake...lol
    https://mega.nz/file/2QYAXLCS#ouqyBO...UEd-yydpFQDB3w

You can still watch it or download it here.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Another version up....

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This is fucking insane hey guys let's quit while we're on top of the fucking world and oh we'll start again from scratch under the same name...Damn motherfuckers, Van Halen always knew how to piss their fans off.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    They sure didn't look like a bunch of guys who couldn't each other on stage...

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Now impossible to look at any pics from that gig without trying to see 'our' new hero camera man guy...

Wow! Where the hell did Dave jump from? I'll ave to watch the vid again.

What a treat that it surfaced. 39 fucking years after... And it wasn't thanks to the band.

I recognized the soundtrack at some point, and remembered a double vinyle bootleg from Taurus records in my collection.
    Sound quality isn't great, but it's CVH live in 1983/1984 so it's worth it.
    The sleeve notes indicate that Jump and I'll wait were recorded at Donnington on August 18th, which sounded familiar to me
    in the video. Some of us probably have it too, this way or another.

IMG20230828095414.jpg
    IMG20230828095428.jpg

Sure it's fantastic that this vid popped up (though the band themselves could have shared it a loooooong time ago), but if only
    the crew had shot the whole gig... There's no choice, let's enjoy it as it was done.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    "stand"

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    On stage and in front of cameras... the band was at its best and within their element that played best to their personal gifts and talents. Musicians and entertainers... Happy partiers... world class!

Off stage and out of the spot lights... they were typical humans with drug, alcohol addictions, mental health issues, and enough money to fuel their whims and egos. Not exactly a recipe for sustained success and healthy living/longevity... as history has shown many times over and over just disasters in the making.

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Who is the blonde Ed kisses on the cheek in the tuning room at end?

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jérôme Frenchise View Post
    What a treat that it surfaced. 39 fucking years after... And it wasn't thanks to the band.
    Von & I keep saying it: NO BAND HATES THEIR FANS LIKE VAN HALEN.

I've never seen anything like it. Literally mocking fans for wanting something, anything...from their sea of studio & live archives, endless amounts of never-released film/video projects.

And then, when fans go absolutely INSANE, excited beyond belief to see a scrap of footage from the band's peak, the band is insanely doing everything they can to take it down...ban it...make sure it's NOT seen. Taking down every YouTube link.

...And they're doing all this while stating proudly in interviews that fans shouldn't "hold their breath" for ANYTHING to EVER get released. And stating that while there is a ton in the archives, everything good already got released (contradicting what engineers who've already compiled & mastered never-released entire box sets) and that what's on the officially-released albums is all we should ever get to hear. Ever.

What other band goes out of their way to upset fans for...THE SIMPLE CRIME OF LOVING YOUR BAND AND WANTING, DYING TO HEAR MORE...KNOWING THERE IS A LOT MORE TO HEAR/SEE.

I love Van Halen. And, at the same time, I hate Van Halen.

I can't believe the supremely-overweight rich kid who inherited all his dad's money but little of his talent gets to speak for all representatives of the band and all the fans.

Van Halen HATE, HATE, HATE their fans.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Even Sammy Hagar, compared to Wolfgang, is a nice guy who likes his fans (again, compared to Wolfgang). Sammy (or his people) has been finding rare VH songs on YouTube (some 5150 outtake called I WANT SOME ACTION) and posting them on his own YouTube channel, saying it's cool for fans to get to hear stuff like this. He's even been taking rare video clips from concerts during his era of the band and throwing them up, free of charge, on his YouTube channel.

In a recent interview, Sam spoke of Ed's archive, saying there is a good handful of songs the band recorded during their four albums with him that he thinks should get heard (including this BETWEEN US TWO song the band were working on for BEST OF but never got released because he & Ed ended up fighting over it...leading to his leaving). The guy may have NOT been the right singer for Van Halen (only one person is), but even Sam isn't trashing fans for wanting to hear more material. He understands it and encourages it and even tries to give fans of that era more hope.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Who is the blonde Ed kisses on the cheek in the tuning room at end?
    I believe that was Sue Anthony.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    There seemed to be a bit of a swinger thing going on with the 4 of them.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    There seemed to be a bit of a swinger thing going on with the 4 of them.
    Is the rumor that Dave fucked Al's first wife TRUE?? I read that in at least one of my VH books. I'm not sure how much truth there is to the story.

(While sitting on the 1984 tour plane, Al did tell Noel Monk's wife that he wanted to fuck her...while Noel was sitting right there.)

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Is the rumor that Dave fucked Al's first wife TRUE?? I read that in at least one of my VH books. I'm not sure how much truth there is to the story.

(While sitting on the 1984 tour plane, Al did tell Noel Monk's wife that he wanted to fuck her...while Noel was sitting right there.)
    Noel's wife was cute so I wouldn't be surprised if that was true. However, we don't know whether a lot of what Monk said was true.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Noel's wife was cute so I wouldn't be surprised if that was true. However, we don't know whether a lot of what Monk said was true.
    Yeah, Monk definitely came off as a bit of a Bitter Betty...his book was definitely him scraping away for a quick payday.

Boy, did he bitch a lot about Dave in the book.

I enjoyed Ted Templeman's book much more. It was much more about the creating of music. He really went quite in-depth into the making of each album in the six-pack. And he made it VERY clear that he simply wasn't interested in producing the 5150 album. To this day, he considers it one of the biggest letdowns of his career that he couldn't keep the original Van Halen together. It's very obvious, reading the book, that he never really accepted the band moving on without Dave (and Dave moving on without them).

I also enjoyed the Little Feat stuff (really cool band) and some of the other albums he mentioned working on...including (attack me all you want...it's a great album) the first Montrose album.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Is the rumor that Dave fucked Al's first wife TRUE??
    I have heard that one before but I just meant that Val and Mike are pretty friendly in the video too.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Von & I keep saying it: NO BAND HATES THEIR FANS LIKE VAN HALEN.

I've never seen anything like it. Literally mocking fans for wanting something, anything...from their sea of studio & live archives, endless amounts of never-released film/video projects.

And then, when fans go absolutely INSANE, excited beyond belief to see a scrap of footage from the band's peak, the band is insanely doing everything they can to take it down...ban it...make sure it's NOT seen. Taking down every YouTube link.

...And they're doing all this while stating proudly in interviews that fans shouldn't "hold their breath" for ANYTHING to EVER get released. And stating that while there is a ton in the archives, everything good already got released (contradicting what engineers who've already compiled & mastered never-released entire box sets) and that what's on the officially-released albums is all we should ever get to hear. Ever.

What other band goes out of their way to upset fans for...THE SIMPLE CRIME OF LOVING YOUR BAND AND WANTING, DYING TO HEAR MORE...KNOWING THERE IS A LOT MORE TO HEAR/SEE.

I love Van Halen. And, at the same time, I hate Van Halen.

I can't believe the supremely-overweight rich kid who inherited all his dad's money but little of his talent gets to speak for all representatives of the band and all the fans.

Van Halen HATE, HATE, HATE their fans.
    I wouldn't say it's necessarily the band on the whole that hates the fans, but the Van Halens clearly don't give a shit.

I only say that because Roth, Anthony and Hagar (at least from what they've said in interviews) are all for putting out archive material.

And, yeah, it's bizarre. Even beyond whatever principled stance Ed and Al had about their belief that anything worth putting out already was, just from a business standpoint...um, well, the cats already out of the bag with a fair amount of CVH live concerts anyway. Has been for ages. And stuff is still surfacing anyway - Donnington case in point.

The band should have put out a Roth era live dvd twenty years ago. Or multiple dvds. It's like, why not just embrace the demand and make a few bucks off it? Instead of seeing all the stuff uploaded for free?

The CVH Roth era has...what? An opening set from 1978 out there. A full set from Fair Warning out there. At least 4 full sets from the Diver Down period out there. Montreal 1984 out there. Now Donnington. Plus a bunch of live audio boots have been circulating for years along with the Zero/Simmons demos.

And this bizarre stance was in place before Wolfgang was in the band.

Bit of a head scratcher, to be sure, but whatever.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I used to think they hadn't released a live album because of concerns about Roth's vocals but after the Tokyo album that's not the issue any more if it ever was.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    There's no question Van Halen hates their fans... but to be fair... all the take downs of this Donnington 1984 video on YT is a result of some greedy jackass bootleg hoarder making ownership claims of the original physical media... not the content or copyright ownership... using YT legal loopholes to attempt to protect his ability to profit from it and get some perverse pleasure of denying others of enjoying this gem of history captured on film.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    There's no question Van Halen hates their fans... but to be fair... all the take downs of this Donnington 1984 video on YT is a result of some greedy jackass bootleg hoarder making ownership claims of the original physical media... not the content or copyright ownership... using YT legal loopholes to attempt to protect his ability to profit from it and get some perverse pleasure of denying others of enjoying this gem of history captured on film.
    Good point. And seriously, I'd like to beat the living shit out of this footage hoarder.

If I had my hands on some seriously kickass VH footage, I would want to do one thing and one thing only: GET IT OUT THERE TO THE FANS TO ENJOY.

I couldn't give a shit about making money off of it or hoarding it for myself.

This guy is a serious piece of shit.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Good point. And seriously, I'd like to beat the living shit out of this footage hoarder.

If I had my hands on some seriously kickass VH footage, I would want to do one thing and one thing only: GET IT OUT THERE TO THE FANS TO ENJOY.

You can imagine the guy...

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You can imagine the guy...

You're not kidding.

THAT'S EXACTLY HOW I PICTURED THE FAT TUB OF FOOTAGE-HOARDING LARD!!!

Maybe he's that grumpy trading freak, Lou, that used to post here eons ago.

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

I put it on my youtube and got a whopping 25 views in a day and the prick reported it and had it removed..Thanks for the link above..I have it saved on my laptop

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    One of the download links above has stopped working, I've changed the first post to show the one that is still fine.

Thread Information