Thread: Just Shut The Fuck Up

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Just Shut The Fuck Up

"Massive Influential Record" Get the fuck out of there.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Am I the only one with zero interest in seeing yet another twentysomething youtuber give their take on pretty much anything?
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I haven't watched it but I'm guessing they are super positive about it? There is an incongruity about these things once you watch a few and realize that they are always someone from a different demographic younger, not white is good if it's classic rock and supposedly with no knowledge of what are often pretty well known songs to everyone if only in adverts and movie soundtracks. The person or people then say how great the old bit of music is and the middle aged classic rock crowd in the comments are all delighted and subscribe because it somehow empirically scientifically proves what they know that their music is the best.

Meanwhile young ethnic makes money from the YouTube hits and it's a great arrangement not unlike a sugar daddy thing.

I make exception with a couple - an opera singer and a classical music lecturer who do at least throw in some actual music knowledge but I'm watching them less and less now I can see how the sausage is being made.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I love Led Zeppelin...but for some reason, the 2nd album is one of the ones I put on the least at this point. Yes, it's great. But I'm played out on a lot of the material on that album.

I listen to PRESENCE far more...their most underrated album, in my opinion.

PHYSICAL GRAFFITI is a close second for me.
    Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
    Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'd be far more likely to listen to the catalog from Houses through ITTOD than anything from the first album through IV (maybe When The Levee Brakes once in a blue moon).

Presence is brilliant. Achillies is right up there with the best they ever did.

Can't remember the last time I heard (or wanted to hear) anything off of the first album through the third album. Played those albums out as well...outside of Levee, I don't need to hear anything off of the 4th album ever again.

Ages ago, when I'd play Presence, I'd tend to skip over Candy Store Rock. Now, I enjoy the fuck out of that track.

I will say neither The Crunge nor D'yer Mak'er have gotten any better with age.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I'd be far more likely to listen to the catalog from Houses through ITTOD than anything from the first album through IV (maybe When The Levee Brakes once in a blue moon).

Presence is brilliant. Achillies is right up there with the best they ever did.

Can't remember the last time I heard (or wanted to hear) anything off of the first album through the third album. Played those albums out as well...outside of Levee, I don't need to hear anything off of the 4th album ever again.

Ages ago, when I'd play Presence, I'd tend to skip over Candy Store Rock. Now, I enjoy the fuck out of that track.

I will say neither The Crunge nor D'yer Mak'er have gotten any better with age.
    Couldn't agree more.

While I feel that every Zep album is great, I'm just played out on so much of the earlier stuff.

If I listen to DAZED AND CONFUSED, I listen to THE SONG REMAINS THE SAME version...

PRESENCE is my favorite Zep album. I love every song. I even love CANDY STORE ROCK now. ACHILLES is a masterpiece. And HOTS ON FROM NOWHERE is one of my favorite Zep songs ever.

I even love IN THROUGH THE OUT DOOR. Not every song is perfect, but IN THE EVENING is a classic and I'M GONNA CRAWL is severely underrated.

CODA is another I put on a lot. I love WALTER'S WALK.

And yes...the two songs I still do not like on HOUSES are D'YER MAKER and THE CRUNGE. I cannot believe they cut the song HOUSES OF THE HOLY, THE ROVER or WALTER'S WALK and put those two songs instead.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Never really cared for "The Crunge". It was the most goddamned "disco" thing Zeppelin ever did... at least until "Carouselambra", which was even worse.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Never really cared for "The Crunge". It was the most goddamned "disco" thing Zeppelin ever did... at least until "Carouselambra", which was even worse.
    Carouselambra was...okay...

For ages, I could never make out what the lyrics were. Once I found out what the lyrics were, I appreciated the song more.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    Couldn't agree more.

While I feel that every Zep album is great, I'm just played out on so much of the earlier stuff.

If I listen to DAZED AND CONFUSED, I listen to THE SONG REMAINS THE SAME version...

PRESENCE is my favorite Zep album. I love every song. I even love CANDY STORE ROCK now. ACHILLES is a masterpiece. And HOTS ON FROM NOWHERE is one of my favorite Zep songs ever.

I even love IN THROUGH THE OUT DOOR. Not every song is perfect, but IN THE EVENING is a classic and I'M GONNA CRAWL is severely underrated.

CODA is another I put on a lot. I love WALTER'S WALK.

And yes...the two songs I still do not like on HOUSES are D'YER MAKER and THE CRUNGE. I cannot believe they cut the song HOUSES OF THE HOLY, THE ROVER or WALTER'S WALK and put those two songs instead.
    I love Hots On For Nowhere.

In Through The Out Door is a spotty album to my ears. Always has been. I think what resonates for me about the album is lyrically it is one of the more accessible Zeppelin efforts. I'm assuming much of that was the result of Plant's son dying a couple years before, where the songs on ITTOD largely eschew lyrics concerning themselves with hypersexualized cocksmanship, Middle Ages Fables Of Yore, mystical epics and the like, all of which were subjects more than amply covered on previous albums. In the Evening was a classic, agreed. All My Love was a beautiful, slow bittersweet paean. Once it got past that sugar-laden synth intro, I'm Gonna Crawl was stripped-down, raw emotion. The rest of the album (including Fool In The Rain) ran the gamut from mediocre to disposable by Zep standards.

Walter's Walk was a standout on CODA. Probably Wearing And Tearing would be my own favorite track. The rest? Eh...I suppose all of it was close to the best of what Zep had left in the can ready to go in the immediate years after Bonham died. Frankly, I thought the Travelling Riverside Blues track that came out with the early 1990s box set was a bit superior to the contents of CODA, as was the Swan Song demo.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    In Through The Out Door seemed to be Zeppelin having some sort of "identity crisis". If they had known it would be their last true album, maybe they would have made more of an effort to make a genuine rock record out of it. Instead you got this weird mishmash of things with a 10 minute disco song, (Carouselambra), a country song which could have come right out of Nashville (Hot Dog) a 6 minute love song (All of my Love) and even the rock songs had a shit load of synthesizers in them. Bonzo probably saved a lot of those songs with his drumming.... it was the only "Zeppelin" thing about some of them.

Travelling Riverside Blues was apparently a live cut from a BBC session in the early 70s. Used to hear that all the time on KISW, long before the box set came out, as well as Hey Hey What Can I Do which was a non-album b-side from the Zeppelin III era (actually have that 45 somewhere). I was actually surprised those two songs weren't on the original relase of Coda in 1982, but were later added to one of the multiple remastered editions.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Y'know, THE CRUNGE could have worked if they had used real horns instead of the terrible keyboard part...AND if it had passable vocals. Plant's vocals on that song are just awful.

CAROUSELAMBRA is an acquired taste. A lot of people write it off. Yes, it has a disco vibe...but there are some great riffs and chords in there. Jones' keyboard sounds date it, definitely. But I have to admit that I like the song. (And Terry is right: once one reads the lyric sheet, the song becomes a lot more interesting.)

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    In Through The Out Door seemed to be Zeppelin having some sort of "identity crisis". If they had known it would be their last true album, maybe they would have made more of an effort to make a genuine rock record out of it. Instead you got this weird mishmash of things with a 10 minute disco song, (Carouselambra), a country song which could have come right out of Nashville (Hot Dog) a 6 minute love song (All of my Love) and even the rock songs had a shit load of synthesizers in them. Bonzo probably saved a lot of those songs with his drumming.... it was the only "Zeppelin" thing about some of them.
    It's definitely a transition album. It's them trying something new. You can definitely hear some of the elements of Plant's solo career in it (though his debut is actually far more of a guitar album). But I still think ALL MY LOVE, IN THE EVENING and I'm GONNA CRAWL are all top-tier Zep songs. I don't think SOUND BOUND SAUREZ is amazing, but I enjoy it. And I do enjoy CAROUSELAMBRA. My least-favorite track on it, funny enough, isn't HOT DOG. It's FOOL IN THE RAIN. That song just does nothing for me.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Travelling Riverside Blues was apparently a live cut from a BBC session in the early 70s. Used to hear that all the time on KISW, long before the box set came out, as well as Hey Hey What Can I Do which was a non-album b-side from the Zeppelin III era (actually have that 45 somewhere). I was actually surprised those two songs weren't on the original relase of Coda in 1982, but were later added to one of the multiple remastered editions.
    Yeah, TRAVELLING RIVERSIDE BLUES was one of their BBC SESSIONS songs. And, funny enough, in the entire Zeppelin catalog, it's one of my most listened-to Zeppelin songs. The riff and the groove are exquisite.

I've never been huge on HEY HEY WHAT CAN I DO for some reason. I can understand why it was left off ZEPPELIN III (but I still like it more than HATS OFF TO ROY HARPER).

A few of the tracks off the Zeppelin reissues in the mid-2010s were quite good. I'd heard SUGAR MAMA years earlier on bootleg, but it sounds great on the CODA remaster. BABY COME ON HOME (which came out in 1993) is also an interesting outtake from the first album.

What's funny about CODA is three of the most hard-rocking tracks on it were the IN THROUGH THE OUT DOOR outtakes. If they'd replaced FOOL IN THE RAIN and one or two other tracks and put WEARING AND TEARING (one of the band's heaviest songs ever) and the others, they probably would have gotten a better reception for that album.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Walter's Walk was a standout on CODA. Probably Wearing And Tearing would be my own favorite track. The rest? Eh...I suppose all of it was close to the best of what Zep had left in the can ready to go in the immediate years after Bonham died. Frankly, I thought the Travelling Riverside Blues track that came out with the early 1990s box set was a bit superior to the contents of CODA, as was the Swan Song demo.
    Interestingly, Bonham and Page were the least-happy with ITTOD. They both declared to each other that the next album (which never happened) would have been more of a hard rock outing.

Still absolutely sucks that Bonham died.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I can't believe I'm reading this crap. Schleppy were not "influential" they were plagiarist criminals.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    I can't believe I'm reading this crap. Schleppy were not "influential" they were plagiarist criminals.
    I know they weren't as influential as the great outfits from the 70s you listen to, like Bay City Rollers or Olivia Newton-John. Now THAT was supremely-threatening hard rock.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Years back, when Kristy & I were very close, we used to go see these guys a lot. Great times.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I know they weren't as influential as the great outfits from the 70s you listen to, like Bay City Rollers or Olivia Newton-John. Now THAT was supremely-threatening hard rock.
    Oh, I get it. I really do. White, male, suburban kid who learned "da blooz" from listening to Schleppy, Foghat, Ten Years After and a handful of other shitty limey dog and pony acts. Then you grew up and realized your entire life was a lie based on that thieving rat bag limey buttfucker. All my BRILLIANT reviews on their collective slop, all my outstanding dissertations and and dire warnings on what a piece of shit Jimmy Page is and it was all for nothing. I'm done with trying to educate you cretins.

Take my work elsewhere:
    https://en.uncyclopedia.co/wiki/Jimmy_Page

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Years back, when Kristy & I were very close, we used to go see these guys a lot. Great times.
    First off, that video is demonic if not stupid. Second, that song is about how to "pleasure" a woman's clitoris. 100% true.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    They influenced a lot of bands. Yeah, some of those bands were total crap, like Whitesnake, Great White, Kingdom Come, etc. Jason Bonham even had his own clone band for a while, in between his gigs impersonating his dad directly.

Probably the best of the Zep wannabe bands was Fastway, though they didn't stick around all that long....

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Whatever one thinks about Zeppelin (and there is no doubt they flat-out ripped off stuff), the band were influential.

As Ford said, a lot of the bands in the 80's that directly tried to pull a Zeppelin weren't on the whole as good.

I like Zeppelin. Always have. Never thought they were the 'be-all/end-all' pinnacle of rock...felt that same way about The Beatles.
    Last edited by Terry; 08-26-2023 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Because I'm silly

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Oh, I get it. I really do. White, male, suburban kid who learned "da blooz" from listening to Schleppy, Foghat, Ten Years After and a handful of other shitty limey dog and pony acts. Then you grew up and realized your entire life was a lie based on that thieving rat bag limey buttfucker. All my BRILLIANT reviews on their collective slop, all my outstanding dissertations and and dire warnings on what a piece of shit Jimmy Page is and it was all for nothing. I'm done with trying to educate you cretins.

Take my work elsewhere:
    Yeah, but surely it's not a case of somebody needing to feel inadequate because they initially got exposed to the blues via said shitty limey dog and pony acts, is it?

I mean, you gotta start learning somewhere...for this white, male, suburban kid growing up in the 1970s/1980s it just happened to be Led Zeppelin...and probably because radio stations weren't playing much Blind Lemon Pie or other noted grizzled bluesmen Zep ripped off. I mean, I wasn't hearing much Memphis Minnie or John Lee Hooker or Muddy Waters back then. I was hearing Hendrix, Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, etc.

Plus, I liked Olivia Newton-John, too...would have quite enjoyed giving her clitoris the wiggles via the propeller while she softly moaned I Honestly Love You in my ear.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah, TRAVELLING RIVERSIDE BLUES was one of their BBC SESSIONS songs. And, funny enough, in the entire Zeppelin catalog, it's one of my most listened-to Zeppelin songs. The riff and the groove are exquisite.

I've never been huge on HEY HEY WHAT CAN I DO for some reason. I can understand why it was left off ZEPPELIN III (but I still like it more than HATS OFF TO ROY HARPER).

A few of the tracks off the Zeppelin reissues in the mid-2010s were quite good. I'd heard SUGAR MAMA years earlier on bootleg, but it sounds great on the CODA remaster. BABY COME ON HOME (which came out in 1993) is also an interesting outtake from the first album.

What's funny about CODA is three of the most hard-rocking tracks on it were the IN THROUGH THE OUT DOOR outtakes. If they'd replaced FOOL IN THE RAIN and one or two other tracks and put WEARING AND TEARING (one of the band's heaviest songs ever) and the others, they probably would have gotten a better reception for that album.
    Travelling Riverside Blues I hadn't heard prior to the 1990 box set. (Hey Hey) What Can I Do I had heard prior to the box set, but was never very keen on that, either: I'd agree it would have been preferrable to (Hats Off To) Roy Harper, but LZIII was always the album I liked the least anyway so it would have been a marginal improvement at best.

I'd say I enjoyed Darlene a bit more than South Bound Saurez, but I'm not sure had Darlene been included on ITTOD in place of South Bound Saurez and Ozone Baby had been included and, say, Hot Dog had been discarded I would have enjoyed IITOD much more than I do. ITTOD...it was varied stylistically, but the band weren't quite firing on all cylinders. Page, especially.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Whatever one thinks about Zeppelin (and there is no doubt they flat-out ripped off stuff), the band were influential.
    Oh, PLU-EEZE! Whom did they influence, exactly? I know, A gaggle of really shitty 80s spandex-sporting hair bands and many a failed musician to come. Schleppy were outright thieves who never gave a dime (literally) of credit to those those stole from, never cared about those they stole from and never paid those they stole from until the courts stepped in. If you like Schleppy then more power to you. There are many people out there who don't know shit about music who listen to this white male interpretation of "da blooz" and blindly accept it as their personal faith in music. I'm glad their F A T as fuck drummer died in his own vomit snot thus truncating Schleppy's ability to inflict any more damage.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Oh, PLU-EEZE! Whom did they influence, exactly? I know, A gaggle of really shitty 80s spandex-sporting hair bands and many a failed musician to come. Schleppy were outright thieves who never gave a dime (literally) of credit to those those stole from, never cared about those they stole from and never paid those they stole from until the courts stepped in. If you like Schleppy then more power to you. There are many people out there who don't know shit about music who listen to this white male interpretation of "da blooz" and blindly accept it as their personal faith in music. I'm glad their F A T as fuck drummer died in his own vomit snot thus truncating Schleppy's ability to inflict any more damage.
    Kristy, you're wrong. And I've fucking had it.

FACT: Muddy Waters & Willie Dixon stole so many ideas from Led Zeppelin. Led Zeppelin CREATED the blues. There was no blues before Led Zeppelin.

FACT: Jake Holmes (60s folk singer) stole DAZED & CONFUSED from Jimmy Page, renaming his version I'M CONFUSED.

FACT: Led Zeppelin invented guitar rock. Before Led Zeppelin, bands never used guitars to signify aggression in their music.

FACT: Jimmy was also the pioneer of using a guitar powered by electricity.

FACT: Led Zeppelin was also, I'm proud to say, the first band ever to make a song longer than three minutes. They broke that barrier and SO MANY bands have followed in their wake.

FACT: Led Zeppelin invented jamming & improvising. Bands didn't do that before Led Zeppelin. Jazz is actually an outgrowth of Led Zeppelin's live sound.

FACT: Zeppelin invented sounds eventually used in the music of so many cultures. People call Led Zeppelin's music very "world-influenced," but that's nonsense. A lot of what is considered Indian & Eastern music (with their different tunings) came about AFTER Zeppelin's music.

FACT: Before Led Zeppelin, people didn't really FEEL their music. Zeppelin started that.

You're such an ignorant idiot. You really know nothing about music or music history, Kristy.

And now...I'm proud to say that you're...
    OWNED!!!

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Take my work elsewhere:
    Kristy,

If you wrote that fantasy diatribe, you are a genius, thanks for the link.

Your rant has inspired me to play all 8 original Led Zeppelin records (CDs) in my 100-disc CD changer and play at random. Fuck the expanded remastered series with all the extra outtakes and alternative versions, they're unnecessary bloated second rate blah.

As an added bonus, I'm sliding in Kingdom Come's debut record, Whitesnake's Whitesnake, and Great White's Once Bitten...,... What a fucking great time that was. I may as well add Whitesnake's Slide It In.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ford View Post
    yeah, some of those bands were total crap, like whitesnake, great white, kingdom come, etc. ...
    wrong! Don't listen to FORD. Listen to Whitesnake!

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mushroom View Post
    I may as well add Whitesnake's Slide It In.
    I too am now listening to Whitesnake.

They, after all, invented the blues, as well.

Not only that, but David Coverdale was also the first rock star who married a model/actress...ever.

Led Zeppelin may have invented anal sex, but Whitesnake invented anal sex with models/actresses.

THAT has to be worth something!!

Kristy, once again, you're...
    OWNED!!!!

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Rikk, if this forum had an MVP trophy, you would be MVP today!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The best thing about this thread is it made me go back and and watch this.

No doubt Kristy will say these guys weren't influenced

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mushroom View Post
    Rikk, if this forum had an MVP trophy, you would be MVP today!
    "Thanks for the award!! I would like to dedicate my win to all the actresses & models with whom I've had anal sex."

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    The best thing about this thread is it made me go back and and watch this.
    Sesh, what I've always loved about Dread Zeppelin is they truly created their own sound that is not based on absolutely ANYTHING that came before them. Now that takes talent!!

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    In all seriousness, I was just pissing myself watching Elvis sing those Plant-isms. I haven't seen that in a while!!

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Everything, EVERYTHING is a joke to you people.

Enjoy your fucking shitty Schleppy "influence" bands.

Fucking awful.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Here's one of Rikk's FAVORITES:

And not one of you cretins will ever see truly how Schleppy destroyed music for generations to come.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Everything, EVERYTHING is a joke to you people.

Enjoy your fucking shitty Schleppy "influence" bands.

Fucking awful.

To be fair the Japanese guy struggles less singing those Crazy R's than Paul Stanley did.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    First off, that video is demonic if not stupid. Second, that song is about how to "pleasure" a woman's clitoris. 100% true.
    Well at least they're teaching children something of value!

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    They influenced a lot of bands. Yeah, some of those bands were total crap, like Whitesnake, Great White, Kingdom Come, etc. Jason Bonham even had his own clone band for a while, in between his gigs impersonating his dad directly.

Probably the best of the Zep wannabe bands was Fastway, though they didn't stick around all that long....

Ford, you picked the worst song from Fastway. They have at least three better tunes.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Appears Mr. Page may have some sort of a dark side.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Appears Mr. Page may have some sort of a dark side.
    Oh you catch on quick. Duh. You are 2 score and 10 years late for the party.

Thread Information