X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Yeah, but even assume any of that is true re: Wolfgang owns the rights (or at least has inherited Ed's rights as the sole heir of Ed's estate) ...so, now we have to wait for Alex and Wolfgang to die to MAYBE get some kind of officially authorized release containing whatever studio outtakes and/or live audio and video is being kept in Ed's home studio?

Yeesh.

I'll be content with whatever is leaked re: Donnington or the Diver Down outtakes recently uploaded by whoever online. If nothing else ever comes of that, it's fine.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Terry
      Yeah, but even assume any of that is true re: Wolfgang owns the rights (or at least has inherited Ed's rights as the sole heir of Ed's estate) ...so, now we have to wait for Alex and Wolfgang to die to MAYBE get some kind of officially authorized release containing whatever studio outtakes and/or live audio and video is being kept in Ed's home studio?

Yeesh.

I'll be content with whatever is leaked re: Donnington or the Diver Down outtakes recently uploaded by whoever online. If nothing else ever comes of that, it's fine.
      Alex’s wife will inherit the Van Halen franchise and her brother Ray Daniel’s will manipulate her in an attempt to cash in.
      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Ha! So much for the Donnington footage. It was nice while it lasted. Maybe the Marshall Berle sex tapes will surface next.

Comment

• ZahZoo
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
          5150 was Ed’s property. Clearly Wolfgang controls that. The tapes of riffs in the studio would belong to him. Alex controls the VH brand. EVH Gear is Wolfgang’s. Ed owned the stripes. All Al controls is the legal rights to sell anything tied to the Van Halen image.
          Not so sure control of the tape archives from 5150 studio conveyed to Wolfgang. The physical property with the house and outbuildings it appears he got. Those recordings fall under Intellectual Property (IP) classifications, and I assume control of that falls under the governing LLCs for Van Halen Music Inc. Alex controls all that...
          "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
            Not so sure control of the tape archives from 5150 studio conveyed to Wolfgang. The physical property with the house and outbuildings it appears he got. Those recordings fall under Intellectual Property (IP) classifications, and I assume control of that falls under the governing LLCs for Van Halen Music Inc. Alex controls all that...
            Depends on what’s on the tapes. If it was recording Ed noodling I doubt that’s intellectual property. You could argue anything that has the band as a whole playing could be. It’s a grey area.

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

I was expecting a big mess when Ed went. Surprisingly it doesn’t seem to be. He apparently had good estate planners.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I was expecting a big mess when Ed went. Surprisingly it doesn’t seem to be. He apparently had good estate planners.

Ed was more or less sober when he went, so he proably planned things well. Maybe Janie and Wolfie had something to do with that...

Comment

• Silexxx
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Nickdfresh

Don't worry mom, we'll fatten her up. But she really loves me for me...
                  Was Alex at the wedding? I can't found anything about that.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Depends on what’s on the tapes. If it was recording Ed noodling I doubt that’s intellectual property. You could argue anything that has the band as a whole playing could be. It’s a grey area.
                    Well... considering that every Van Halen composition, released or not, was recorded at 5150 from 1983 to 2020 with the exception of the final production recordings from ADKOT and some of the final masters from everything else. Every working version of songs Ed and various band members composed came out of 5150.

Since they lost the cataloging of all those tapes... there's no way stuff could be segregated from Ed only or band produced material. One can hope someone gathered all those tapes and properly packaged them up and hauled the whole lot to Pacific Titles for proper storage and eventual cataloging. That's a lot of very valuable recordings...
                    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

All arguments lawyers would make but 5150 was also part of a private residence and a private practice space. Unless the tape was made as a band project it could be classified as a home practice tape. Now what really complicates things is Alex was part of the band. If he’s drumming on any of it it could be classified as a Van Halen tape.

Ed didn’t write songs. He wrote riffs. I think those tapes are just hours on hours of riffs. Not completed songs. It might be interesting for guitar nerds. Not so much to the general fan base.
                      Last edited by Nitro Express; 12-02-2023, 02:03 PM.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Silexxx
                        Was Alex at the wedding? I can't found anything about that.
                        Alex could have performed the wedding. He’s a licensed minister. He married Ed and Jani.

Comment

• Terry
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

Alex’s wife will inherit the Van Halen franchise and her brother Ray Daniel’s will manipulate her in an attempt to cash in.
                          Hey, you know what? If it results in some previously 'vaulted' CVH stuff being put out there, I really couldn't give a shit about the legal avenues or if the various Van Halen estates are getting their due compensation or whatever.

Much along the same lines as I really didn't give much of a shit if Ed and Dave were getting along offstage during the 2006-2015 period. Long as the band delivered the best they could - as long as they were making the effort - I didn't care if Ed and Dave travelled together while touring or if they only saw each other when they hit the stage. It wouldn't have mattered one bit to me if Dave was getting along better than he ever had with the Van Halens if the band couldn't deliver the goods.

By extension, I don't care now what the state of the relationships are between any of the past members of Van Halen (or their extended families): if they all came out together in some press conference holding hands and saying they loved and respected each other because they all agreed no unreleased CVH stuff was going to see the light of day, what the fuck good are the state of their relationships to me? I'm not friends with any of these people.

If Alex's wife ends up putting out that unreleased stuff as a cash-in after Alex passes away, I'm more than fine with it. Said stuff is all the band have left going forward that is of interest to me anyway.
                          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• yomaster
                            Roadie
                            • Feb 2004

Awesome. Thanks for posting this.

Comment

• Von Halen
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by yomaster
                              Awesome. Thanks for posting this.
                              Look at that. Another one appears out of nowhere!

Comment

• Catfish
                                Sniper
                                • Jan 2004

Yomaster!!!

Comment

Working...