X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kristy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
    America's Led Zeppelin indeed. No question.

Comment

• Fairwrning
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Rikk

THIS is the one with a newly-mixed, perfect ACT LIKE IT HURTZ from the WACF sessions.

0:00 INST
      4:06 Red Zone 2 INST
      8:26 Jamies Cryin tk 1 INST
      10:45 Fools INST tk 7
      12:48 Dance The Night Away tk 3 INST
      15:00 Dance the Night Away tk 4 INST
      Really liking that first groove ..killer solo

Comment

• Mushroom
        Commando
        • Jul 2009

Dance The Night Away: 5 instrumental versions, all 2.5 minutes or less, where you can hear the band trying out different ideas for the chorus. All sound good.

Somebody Get Me A Doctor: extended intro, extended solo section, extended outro. Very exciting to hear a different take.

Fools: a different intro.

Where Have All The Good Times Gone: a fun version, different take.

I feel like I’m on a different planet hearing these recordings.

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Mushroom
          Dance The Night Away: 5 instrumental versions, all 2.5 minutes or less, where you can hear the band trying out different ideas for the chorus. All sound good.

Somebody Get Me A Doctor: extended intro, extended solo section, extended outro. Very exciting to hear a different take.

Fools: a different intro.

Where Have All The Good Times Gone: a fun version, different take.

I feel like I’m on a different planet hearing these recordings.
          I watched an interview with someone who grew up with the Van Halen’s. He said that they were so good because they were obsessed. Eddie being the most obsessed. He ate, slept and shit guitar. He wanted to make a living doing it and knew he had to be good. The whole band were obsessed. He said the guys in the band were always nice. Even Dave was nice. But when it was performance time they were there to take heads off.
          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

The fact that Warners were the ones who paid for all these remixes in the first place, looking to make a Van Halen archive box set in 2004...I think they knew (at least in 2004) that they had something that could pull in a nice amount of profit with a minimal investment of some studio time to make fresh mixes of old multitrack material. And Brian Kehew (the engineer) did a really nice job. Most of these new mixes and outtake selections are really beautifully done.

So, again...to me, it's not Warners not giving a fuck. They gave a fuck enough to get all this stuff mixed, compiled.

No, the problem...again...is this stuff was all ready to go. And the fucking band...THE FUCKING BAND...again pulled the mother fucking plug. "Why should we give the fans a great set of outtakes, demos, unreleased songs, with great photos and liner notes? Why make our fans happy? They owe us! We owe them nothing!"

I seriously hate Alex Van Halen. And I hate Wolfgang Van Halen even more.

I seriously get almost as much joy knowing that Wolfgang and Alex are probably shitting their pants angry that we have and are enjoying these tracks as the joy I'm getting from listening to these pieces of the Holy Grail that is Van Halen's brilliant, unreleased lost legacy.

There's a saying I used to always say with fellow Hendrix fans when discussing the stuff we demanded get released (before Eddie Kramer finally started releasing a TON of the stuff we'd been waiting for):

"Free the tapes!"
            There’s no respect for the fans. Shit fat Sam and gimp Mike show the fans more support. Dave wants the stuff out there. I get losing your brother and dad is emotionally taxing but I lost my brother and dad who I loved as much as they loved Ed. Grow up. Ed was a heavy drinker and smoker. He did himself in and that’s the truth. Just because Ed was cremated and tossed into the sea doesn’t mean the band’s legacy has to. You guys live the posh life because you had fans. Wolfie has never had to live in a shit hole and work a real job and Alex, what made your lifestyle possible? Be more like Sam. Take our money. We want our VH fix. Stop teasing and pissing.

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

I’m tired of hearing Wolfgang cry about how miserable he is. Shit if you live in Gaza or East Ukraine you have a good excuse to be miserable. I’m tired of hearing some obese snowflake cry when he’s opening for huge acts and he’s about to marry a cute chick. Oh it’s so tough Wolf. Tell your mom to stop crying too. She’s a mental case.

Comment

• Rikk
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                There’s no respect for the fans. Shit fat Sam and gimp Mike show the fans more support. Dave wants the stuff out there. I get losing your brother and dad is emotionally taxing but I lost my brother and dad who I loved as much as they loved Ed. Grow up. Ed was a heavy drinker and smoker. He did himself in and that’s the truth. Just because Ed was cremated and tossed into the sea doesn’t mean the band’s legacy has to. You guys live the posh life because you had fans. Wolfie has never had to live in a shit hole and work a real job and Alex, what made your lifestyle possible? Be more like Sam. Take our money. We want our VH fix. Stop teasing and pissing.
                This is a PERFECT post.

Exactly.

Wolfgang, unlike the rest of us, never had to have a summer job. He never had to work for anything in his life (except learning a bunch of songs when his parents allowed him to stop going to school regularly and get a tutor so he could be on the road with his dad, uncle & Dave).

The fat son of a bitch has gotten everything handed to him. Look at him: the dude looks like he never even gets up to get his plate of food. He has sat around, been spoiled, lived in a big house...

I have a home studio in my basement. It's nice. It has colored lights and equipment...

...but I went through life's works & tribulations in order to get my house and build my studio.

This spoiled shit was born with a large building with a full studio outside his house. Everything he has in his life was given to him.

He tours, playing stadiums opening for Metallica, because of his last name.

There is NOTHING interesting about his music. The only reason it's gotten released...the only reason bands put him on the bill...the only reason he plays tribute concerts with huge (over-rated) bands like Foo Fighters...

...is because of his last name.

And every penny that has paid for his house and all the food he's eaten and all the stuff he has...

...was paid for by the hard-earned dollars of Van Halen fans.

And when he talks about said fans, he does so with disdain...disgust...

"Don't hold your breath..."

Fuck him! Seriously...I felt bad for him for the first month after his dad died. Then I noticed him starting to attack fans on his Twitter account and whining that all people want to talk about was Van Halen...not MAMMOTH.

If the guy didn't want to have his career associated with Van Halen, then why the hell did he pick a band name that literally was his dad's bands original name?? Seriously??

(Unless Mammoth is supposed to be a description of Wolfie himself. A whole village could live off of Wolfie meat for a decade!)
                Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Mushroom
                  Commando
                  • Jul 2009

Listening to these demos and outtakes, you can hear the ferocity. Dave was a diamond in the rough. But I could not imagine being Ted Templeman in 1977 and thinking “hey let’s replace DLR with Sammy Hagar” - at least that’s what I understand he was thinking.

The outtakes and alternative versions have more lead guitar noodling over DLR’s singing. It’s sounds fun but I can see where Ted finally decided “Ed, we need to let the songs breathe so we can hear DLR’s vocals. We will fade out some of your leads.”

I Wanna Be Your Lover is a diamond in the rough. I can see why it was not released but the energy is there.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mushroom
                    Listening to these demos and outtakes, you can hear the ferocity. Dave was a diamond in the rough. But I could not imagine being Ted Templeman in 1977 and thinking “hey let’s replace DLR with Sammy Hagar” - at least that’s what I understand he was thinking.

The outtakes and alternative versions have more lead guitar noodling over DLR’s singing. It’s sounds fun but I can see where Ted finally decided “Ed, we need to let the songs breathe so we can hear DLR’s vocals. We will fade out some of your leads.”

I Wanna Be Your Lover is a diamond in the rough. I can see why it was not released but the energy is there.
                    I sincerely wish more producers, audio engineers and especially the folks that mix and master music today would all get tattooed on the back of both hands... Let the songs breathe!!

Just listening to these recordings... whoever mixed them did a fantastic job! You can hear clear stereo separation. Distinct instrumentation on left and right channels with just the right amount of key pieces centered in the mix. Even today's state of the art digital mixing boards all come with a little knob, physical or virtual, labeled "Pan"... that can be quite powerful! I even use it actively in live performance mixes today.

Keith Richards once said when he creates music... his canvas starts with silence. Think about it. Like painting if you splash all the colors, all over the canvas... you get mud.
                    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Mushroom
                      Commando
                      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                      I sincerely wish more producers, audio engineers and especially the folks that mix and master music today would all get tattooed on the back of both hands... Let the songs breathe!!

Just listening to these recordings... whoever mixed them did a fantastic job! You can hear clear stereo separation. Distinct instrumentation on left and right channels with just the right amount of key pieces centered in the mix. Even today's state of the art digital mixing boards all come with a little knob, physical or virtual, labeled "Pan"... that can be quite powerful! I even use it actively in live performance mixes today.

Keith Richards once said when he creates music... his canvas starts with silence. Think about it. Like painting if you splash all the colors, all over the canvas... you get mud.
                      You can clearly hear every instrument. Michael must have had a friend when these were remixed because the bass is solid.

By the way, I’m tapping you to produce my debut album!

Comment

• Fairwrning
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

Wolfgang is a douche apparently..but calling that guy a grape was funny as hell...RELEASE THE TRUE BOX SET...

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Less is more. It starts withe the musicians and the room. Then it’s choosing the right microphones and placing them right. You shouldn’t do anything on the board until that’s all set up right. The mix is the seasoning, not the meal.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

I was talking to Orianthi and she was a TC Electronics endorser and she used to use a lot of effects and she said it ruined her sound. She uses very little effects now. We both agreed the less you have in the signal chain the more of your playing will come through.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

This is a PERFECT post.

Exactly.

Wolfgang, unlike the rest of us, never had to have a summer job. He never had to work for anything in his life (except learning a bunch of songs when his parents allowed him to stop going to school regularly and get a tutor so he could be on the road with his dad, uncle & Dave).

The fat son of a bitch has gotten everything handed to him. Look at him: the dude looks like he never even gets up to get his plate of food. He has sat around, been spoiled, lived in a big house...

I have a home studio in my basement. It's nice. It has colored lights and equipment...

...but I went through life's works & tribulations in order to get my house and build my studio.

This spoiled shit was born with a large building with a full studio outside his house. Everything he has in his life was given to him.

He tours, playing stadiums opening for Metallica, because of his last name.

There is NOTHING interesting about his music. The only reason it's gotten released...the only reason bands put him on the bill...the only reason he plays tribute concerts with huge (over-rated) bands like Foo Fighters...

...is because of his last name.

And every penny that has paid for his house and all the food he's eaten and all the stuff he has...

...was paid for by the hard-earned dollars of Van Halen fans.

And when he talks about said fans, he does so with disdain...disgust...

"Don't hold your breath..."

Fuck him! Seriously...I felt bad for him for the first month after his dad died. Then I noticed him starting to attack fans on his Twitter account and whining that all people want to talk about was Van Halen...not MAMMOTH.

If the guy didn't want to have his career associated with Van Halen, then why the hell did he pick a band name that literally was his dad's bands original name?? Seriously??

(Unless Mammoth is supposed to be a description of Wolfie himself. A whole village could live off of Wolfie meat for a decade!)
                              I own part of a very nice gym and we have a great trainer who I like to talk to. She was showing me the latest data on obesity and diabetes. America is in crisis mode. I like the gym because it’s a product and service that can give people a better quality of life and we have people who will teach you how to do things right. The only thing we can’t give you is will power.

Anyways, Wolf drives me nuts. He’s the poster boy of everything I’m trying to help get rid of which is fat and a cry baby attitude. We need men not fat wimps.

Now I will give him credit for being able to play multiple instruments well, sing and produce songs that aren’t great but they don’t suck. Wolf is more talented than Sammy Hagar but it doesn’t take much to best Sam.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                                Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                                I own part of a very nice gym and we have a great trainer who I like to talk to. She was showing me the latest data on obesity and diabetes. America is in crisis mode. I like the gym because it’s a product and service that can give people a better quality of life and we have people who will teach you how to do things right. The only thing we can’t give you is will power.

Anyways, Wolf drives me nuts. He’s the poster boy of everything I’m trying to help get rid of which is fat and a cry baby attitude. We need men not fat wimps.

Now I will give him credit for being able to play multiple instruments well, sing and produce songs that aren’t great but they don’t suck. Wolf is more talented than Sammy Hagar but it doesn’t take much to best Sam.
                                About eight-nine years ago I got into running.

Prior to that I was only lifting weights etc. And before that just eating and lots of drinking. LOL

Since 2016 I've now ran 18 half marathons and 4 full marathons. One of the key things that keeps me going is CVH music. Something about it makes me feel youthful and full of energy.

So while I may have other music in my running playlist, the tunes always go back to CVH. Especially during times when I feel tired or not motivated. CVH is there to get me back up and "hit the ground running!"

Now I tell my 18 year old son that "Classic Van Halen music can either make you drink lots or actually work out a lot. The choice is yours."
                                =V V=
                                ole No.1 The finest
                                EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

Working...