Untalented fucking hack:

That's not a solo, it's noodeling.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'd say pretty much up through the Houses Of The Holy tour, Page was fairly consistent live far as the solos went. A lot of fast - and, it must be said, repetitive - blues pentatonic jibberish at times, but at least he was consistent in terms of his command of the fretboard re: what he was trying to execute.

From the Physical Graffiti tour through the Europe 1980 concert dates, Page got erratic live. Dunno if it was the heroin or if he was letting his talent go to seed in terms of being rusty at times...if he wasn't playing as much when not recording or performing, but the last three tours for Zep's last three studio albums there were often times live when it seemed like Page just had difficulty consistently playing well.

That Zep clip you attached...I'm guessing Earl's Court 1975 from the look of it...that noodling was actually a bit more concise than the Presence and In Through The Out Door tours. You can literally hear Page on those tours struggling with the material live. Fingers slipping off the strings, lack of coordination between his picking and fretting hands. Suffice to say that while I hold what Zeppelin and Page did in a bit higher regard than you on the whole, from all appearances Page's excesses debilitated his talent to a degree in the latter half of Zeppelin's career as an active band. And after Zep ended and Page went on hiatus for a couple of years and then re-emerged, it was clear that he never quite recouped his abilities 100% to where he had been prior to, say, 1975 or so.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Page was always a sloppy unfocused guitar player no matter what state he might have been in. When I worked in music store a lot of high school kids taking guitar lessons played that type of noodling shit - usually with Metallica or Ozzy tunes some Schleppy was thrown in but mostly Metallica. I will never understand Page's playing. There's no phasing, no technique and no tone - just bombastic mindless riffing. Noe if he was on heroin I can understand but what a way to shit all over your audeince. If you watch that clip, even the rest of Schleppy does not know where he is going but he is certainly not leading them in any direction which to me is a mainstay when returning back to the song. Yet he continues to influence generation after generation of guitar players just as lackadaisical.

Dude single-handedly destroyed music

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Page was always a sloppy unfocused guitar player no matter what state he might have been in. When I worked in music store a lot of high school kids taking guitar lessons played that type of noodling shit - usually with Metallica or Ozzy tunes some Schleppy was thrown in but mostly Metallica. I will never understand Page's playing. There's no phasing, no technique and no tone - just bombastic mindless riffing. Noe if he was on heroin I can understand but what a way to shit all over your audeince. If you watch that clip, even the rest of Schleppy does not know where he is going but he is certainly not leading them in any direction which to me is a mainstay when returning back to the song. Yet he continues to influence generation after generation of guitar players just as lackadaisical.

Dude single-handedly destroyed music

Now, now. There, there.

Page did come up with some truly great riffs and splendid tunes in terms of composition. He didn't single-handedly destroy music. THAT distinction belongs to Madonna.

Kirk Hammett, now THERE'S a guitar player I have had zero use for...ever.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post

Page did come up with some truly great riffs

They were all the same.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Kirk sucks. A trap door could open and he could fall under the stage and nobody would notice.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Zep is blues based. You don’t have a lot of options because you are stuck in the same scale. The challenge of playing the blues well is being creative with so little. Led Zeppelin was popular because they were a heavy sounding band that people could bop to. If they didn’t have Bonham the band would be sunk. Led Zeppelin had a great rhythm section and people loved the heaviness. Page could be sloppy because Bonzo and John Paul Jones were in the pocket. Page was the sleaze and slime but people dig a bit of that too.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Zep is blues based.
    If Schleppy was anything they were plagiarism based.

"blues based"

Thread Information