Thread: ‘Friends’ star Matthew Perry dead aged 54

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

‘Friends’ star Matthew Perry dead aged 54

The actor beloved for his portrayal of Chandler Bing on Friends was found dead in a hot tub at his Los Angeles-area home on Saturday, the LA Times and TMZ reported, citing law enforcement sources.

Police were called to the home at around 4pm and found Perry unresponsive, the sources said.

There were no initial signs of foul play. The investigation is ongoing.

Perry was born in 1969 to father John Bennett Perry, an actor, and mother Suzanne Marie Langford in Plymouth, Massachusetts. He spent his childhood between Montreal, Canada, and Los Angeles.

He began acting at a young age before shooting to stardom on the Nineties sitcom smash-hit Friends, where he portrayed the boundlessly hilarious and quick-witted Bing in 234 episodes across 10 seasons from 1994 to 2004. He was nominated for an Emmy in the role in 2002.

More at https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...box=1698541557

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Edited this post because I think I was being too harsh after reading more about him..
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 11-03-2023 at 10:05 PM.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Could he BE more dead right now?
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Friends...was never quite as over the moon about the show as seemingly the rest of America was when it originally aired. Was aware of it but didn't even watch it until several seasons into the show and only then because I was living with someone who liked it. It was amusing in a light, cute, meaningless way and little more than that far as I was concerned.

Anyway, maybe ten years or so ago I visited with an old actual real-life friend. She and I go way back to elementary school and had hung out until we were in our early 20s. When visiting, she told me that she had reconnected with a mutual elementary school friend of ours whom neither of us had seen since we were twelve or thirteen years old. This mutual friend of ours had moved away, etc. Said friend had apparently ended up as a personal assistant to Perry for a year or so in the early 2000s, just as Friends was ending. As the story goes, in real life Perry wasn't particularly spontaneously witty a la Chandler Bing though he was a bit of a low-key douche at times. Dunno if that was just how Perry treated personal assistants or 'the help' in general, and if so he certainly wouldn't be the first (or last) entertainment personality to do so.

From what I gather, the dude had on-again/off-again problems with booze, pills and coke for nearly three decades - none of which was mentioned by the mutual friend - so whatever the particulars of his death were can't say his passing is of any particular surprise. He has looked unhealthy for several years.

Yeah, he did make people laugh on that show. Far as the way of the world, on balance that's a positive thing, I'd agree. Am not gonna say he was 'beloved' by me, but I suppose considering the enduring quality of the fandom for the show he was certainly beloved by many.

One down, five to go.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The only time I watched Friend’s is when I was in the hospital for three days and was bored as hell.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Probably heart related. A lot of people don’t know they have high blood pressure because they don’t see a doctor regularly or they are undisciplined and don’t do anything to get it down if they do know. The results is a fatal heart attack.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Apparently he played pickleball for 2 hours before getting in the hot tub. That's probably a lot of strain on the heart for somebody who was already known to have damaged several internal organs due to his years of opiate addiction. Ironic if he died from doing something presumably healthy.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It’s healthy if the doctor says you can do it and you work up to it. There’s a reason you have to have a doctor’s check up to do certain activities.

Many people drop dead shoveling snow. They have a poor cardiovascular system and are out of shape and they suddenly do a strenuous activity their body can’t handle and it kills them.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    If you are out of shape the best thing to do is go for a walk. Put some comfy shoes on and head out the door. Work up to walking a mile a day. Keep doing it. Be consistent and then you can walk longer or do the mile quicker. You can expand your exercise to other things once your body can handle it.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Anyhoo he made lots of people laugh in that show and so on the scales of life he was a positive.

Yeah, un-huh, Friends was funny. Six of the most dysfunctional sexually eunuch characters in the history of television whining about how entitled they are. Don't know much about Perry himself nor do I care but he did play the smug white male archetype asshole all too well.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Apparently he played pickleball for 2 hours before getting in the hot tub.
    Well, that explains it. Pickleball - the sport that rich white people play before they die.

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Pickleball looks a lot like padel, though much slower and without glass walls around.
    For old folks for sure, rich, white or not.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I thought playing pickle ball was playing with balls while sucking a pickle.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    It’s healthy if the doctor says you can do it and you work up to it. There’s a reason you have to have a doctor’s check up to do certain activities.

Many people drop dead shoveling snow. They have a poor cardiovascular system and are out of shape and they suddenly do a strenuous activity their body can’t handle and it kills them.
    Shoveling snow is one of the worst "cardio" things and can be much more strenuous for some than even running or biking because there isn't much of a warm up, blood has to flow to all limbs and the cold adds to the stresses...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I wasn't a big fan of Friends and recall Artie Lang when he was with Howard Stern making a comment when someone said "Friends" 'sharked' and stopped being funny. He said, "you mean the Pilot?" I did watch it somewhat because apparently the girls at the bar all loved it and it was conversation. Other than that I always thought it was trendy milk toast from the land of cliche. The Ross and Rachel drama made me wanna vomit the fuck all over...
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 10-31-2023 at 07:13 PM.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    I thought playing pickle ball was playing with balls while sucking a pickle.
    It's more like tennis for retards...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I had to google it -seems to be basically what used to be soft tennis a game for young kids 30 years ago. Amazing but not really surprising that there are professional coaches teaching rich adults how to play it.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    I wasn't a big fan of Friends and recall Artie Lang when he was with Howard Stern making a comment when someone said "Friends" 'sharked' and stopped being funny. He said, "you mean the Pilot?" I did watch it somewhat because apparently the girls at the bar all loved it and it was conversation. Other than that I always thought it was trendy milk toast from the land of cliche. The Ross and Rachel drama made me wanna vomit the fuck all over...
    It's all portrayed as being so cutesy but it did eventually get cancelled because the stars got so greedy they were pocketing $144 million a season between them. They even charged $2.5 million each for their recent reunion,

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It's all portrayed as being so cutesy but it did eventually get cancelled because the stars got so greedy they were pocketing $144 million a season between them. They even charged $2.5 million each for their recent reunion,
    I kind of wondered where Perry had the money from, he never really did anything else. Today they said he had spent over $9 million to quit drinking which seems absurd and a very white and First World thing to do...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I had to google it -seems to be basically what used to be soft tennis a game for young kids 30 years ago. Amazing but not really surprising that there are professional coaches teaching rich adults how to play it.
    The people I know who play it are usually drinking, sometimes heavily which sort of defeats the purpose or sort of makes it a "sport" like bowling...

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    At a high level, rallyes can look like this. Players may go out of the "cage" to hit the ball back on court, like one does during this rally.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    So it's tennis for pussies.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What’s more faggot than pickle ball? Really? It’s not a manly sounding game. Oh we play a giant game of ping pong, drink pink Champaign at the clubhouse and suck each other’s dick’s in the locker room showers.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I’m sure Sammy and Mike will be on the pickle ball court in Cabo soon enough.

Thread Information