Thread: Ray Luzier HOF Tribute to ALex Van Halen

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Ray Luzier HOF Tribute to ALex Van Halen

Ray is such a great drummer and a cool dude too!!

"If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ray sent me this recently. He told me that he would have preferred to rip through a couple of songs like Max and Portnoy did, but since he played in Dave's band, they wanted more of a teaching thing from his turn on Al's kit. After watching it, I thought it was really insightful and I'm glad they did it this way. I told Ray that I figured a lot of drummers already might know those details he provided, but the rest of us don't. I thought it was an excellent piece of work he did with this.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It was an excellent video and I learned a lot of some of the nuances that are deep within Al's playing. Ray's a great teacher too!

This inspired me with some ideas I've been working on with tone in my live mixes as an audio engineer. It really helps to have a good base-line reference of a great sounding kit played by an awesome drummer to set some sound engineering parameters to aim for. Whoever recorded this did a fantastic job mixing that kit!!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ray is the best.

This is Episode 2 it's interesting to compare and contrast with the performance and the comments with Episode 1 which had the guy from Slipknot.

The kit sounds completely different with that guy tapping it and badly overplaying RWTD fortunately we are spared much more than that. Ray would never say anything but it must have been weird having to support them, basically a novelty act, as he has frequently with Korn...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I am not a Slipknot fan, nor have I ever been. I have seen them both open for Korn, and Korn open for them. I met Corey Taylor a couple of times and he was a really cool dude. I just don't care that much for the music. Max is no longer in Slipknot, as he was unceremoniously fired. I guess his Dad has played with Springstein for many years. (I hate that libtard piece of shit Bruce, and his music too) Anyway, I don't mind what Max did with RWTD because he kind of put his spin on it.

Portnoy is episode 3. I heard (you didn't hear it from me!) Portnoy does "I'm The One" and "Romeo Delight". Should be interesting to see and hear his take on those. I'm sure he will overplay them too.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Shows how much I know about Slipnot I didn't even know he wasn't an original member or that he had been fired. Having that nepo drummer along with the greats is like if guitarist magazine was putting Steve Vai in their hall of fame and had John Petrucci, Paul Gilbert and Wolfgang Van Halen do the induction.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 01-12-2024 at 07:16 PM.

Thread Information