Thread: Queen rock Montreal

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Queen rock Montreal

I refused to go and see the biopic five years ago because I just can't stand seeing actors playing contemporary artists or sportsmen/women, especially those I admire. I boycotted the Borg-McEnroe dedicated movie for the same reason, that those guys were heoes of my childhood and I didn't want to suffer a forcibly weakened representation of their fantastic matches.
    My wife tried hard to take me to the flicks to see "Bohemian Rhapsody", which may be a great movie as a lot of people seem to think, but I resisted and really don't regret I did.
    I took her to a film show of "Queen rock Montreal" last Friday and absolutely loved it. I knew how much Queen delivered on stage, but never got to see them live. I had a - bootleg I think - copy of Queen rock Montreal which I had listened to several times over the years, but I didn't mind.
    I saw the "Live at Wembley '86" video and their '85 performance at Live Aid, but the IMAX experience was really something.
    The show was filmed from quite a few angles, in good quality though I guess it was improved. There are a bit too many closeups on Freddie Mercury, but how could it have not been the case as he was such a performer. What a stage presence, what a voice... Well, everybody knows that, but I was amazed anyway. And by the overall performance of the band.
    I feel all the more so glad I didn't give in to the 2018 blockbuster. It was like being there, right before the stage and even on it.
    I recommend it.

https://youtu.be/mN2xNBpLEO8?si=mFvzZOx483hphybh

https://youtu.be/xM8Q5xgLZxw?si=OsIhiXOyAUxjiJ1C

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I grew up playing tennis. Grew up during the glorious days of Borg/McEnroe. Yeah you can’t pollute these legacies with shit movies.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't generally care for biopics, either.

The Queen one - like virtually all the others - was totally unnecessary because there is more than enough footage of the real people, which begs the question as to why one would want to watch a bunch of actors playing dress up pretending to be Queen?

"Hey, they re-enacted/recreated Live Aid perfectly for the movie!" Um, why not just watch footage of the real band at Live Aid?

Plus, all those biopics condense events, fabricate scenarios and the like for dramatic purposes.

The Queen Rock Montreal one I had for years on VHS. Finally got around to upgrading to a Blu-ray last year. Great live home video. Great performances. Great to see the light show - something Queen was always noted for - in Blu-ray high def.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    There aren't many decent biopics never mind rock biopics. One big problem is that to get the music rights you need to be authorized by the artist or the estate who will want to control the image a lot.

I would love to see a really fucking bleak Motley Crue movie that starts with 10 minutes of the brain damaged victims of Vince's crash trying to prepare a meal and go to the bathroom. Then it cuts to long shots of him kicking the fuck out of his girlfriend then a prostitute and then another girlfriend. Then we show DUI's and more DUI's and eating and eating and eating and then the big plot twist is it turns out that all this pain is because of his shame that his band just mime when he sings. Then it cuts to him singing live and the ghost of his dead daughter is shown with a single tear running down her cheek..

Is that going to get them back from theatre gigs to stadiums like the NetFlix movie? Maybe not.

Thread Information