Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Eddie Van Halen meant a lot to people because his guitar talent, his music and his stage performance gave them an escape from their shitty lives. Ed made people feel good. So respect it Wolf. Stop pissing on the people who loved your dad. They paid for the nice things you got to enjoy.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

As far as rock music goes I like it live and raw. Even Prince would usually do a song in one or two takes and move on. Usually those are the best and once you start polishing things too much you ruin what made it interesting. Also most people aren’t even going to notice what you are trying to get rid of.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Rikk
        I'll be honest: I'll take the VAN HALEN II sound over the F.U.C.K. sound any day.

Not only is F.U.C.K. my least favorite Van Halen album...but I also hate the homogenized, over-processed sound.

That's NOT a real drum sound in terms of all genuine reverb. They're using some really shitty effects to get that big, boom-y sound (the album came out in 1991 but it's got a pretty 80s sound to me...I mean a BAD 80s sound).

I also don't like Eddie's guitar sounds on F.U.C.K. Again, super reverb-y...too many overdubs. At least the follow-up (BALANCE) had a real band sound...a room sound. If they'd used that production sound they had in 1995 but with Dave around, it would have sounded great. (That said, the engineer who did BALANCE, Erwin Musper, DID engineer the two Dave tracks from 1996, even though they had a different producer.)
        Yeah, I take back VHII come to think of it. I liked the bigness of the drum sound on the Fuck stuff, Pleasuredome in particular, but the cd is certainly not worth much of a listen.

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

FUCK was recorded with a Soldano. Dave Friedman told me VH II is his favorite VH guitar sound. He actually voices his amps to get that sound. What’s great is you can get that sound at low volumes.
          Last edited by Nitro Express; 03-07-2024, 03:25 PM.

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

If you want a good classic VH sound and also have a really good Fender like clean channel look into the Friedman Runt amps. They do the classic VH thing, the classic rock thing and the clean Fender thing really well.

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

I picked up a really clean used Runt 20 for $800. You can use it without a speaker cab and record direct with it. You could do gigs with it but the 50 would be better for that. For home the 20 fills the bill.

Comment

• Rikk
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                Oh Wolf was crying his guts out on Twitter and everyone is kissing his ass. I posted that my dad was a hot shot architect and I was sad when he passed away. I don’t know why but that triggered the fuck out of Lard Ass and he responded in a nasty way. In Wolf’s mind his pain was greater and us plebs could not possibly understand it. I’m like dude. He chain smoked and drank heavy his whole life. We all knew it was coming. Yeah it hurts but grow up, we all have lost parents, spouses, brothers, sisters and close friends. Some people have to worry about how they are going to pay the bills. You don’t. It could be worse Wolf.

THAT is fucking nuts. I mean, what the living hell was there for Walking Cunt Flap to take personally? I mean, you sympathized with him by mentioning that it was hard for you when you lost your own dad.

THIS is what I mean about that fat ass. In his world, everything and everyone is about him. What you are saying basically backs up what Dave said about Walking Cunt Flap two weeks ago...Wolfgang walking around wondering why people aren't paying attention to him or making him feel important. WCF was an only child who was told he was SO important and would be SO great one day...and got anything he wanted.

That kind of constant attention, making you feel like you're the only person that matters, would make anyone pretty goddamn narcissistic.

And only someone completely narcissistic would take offense to someone else relating to the idea of loss...because a narcissist will see your attempt to show sympathy through your own experience as an attempt to take the spotlight off of himself.

Also, Walking Cunt Flap legitimately thinks that his Dad is more important than most other people. (It's how he justifies himself being more important that other people...because he's the SON of someone who is more important that average joes.) THUS...you trying to say it's similar to when YOU lost your Dad is, to him, lessening just how unique his pain is.

The silly, self-absorbed Walking Cunt Flap.

Curious...do you remember anything about what he said (you mentioned his responding in a "nasty way")? Even a guess as to what he said. (I can't even go check...LOL...I'm "banned," which breaks my heart about as much as it's going to break my heart when I deliberately show up late to Metallica/Pantera this summer and NOT catch Walking Cunt Flap's set at Soldier Field.)
                Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

If I was putting asses in seats in every town I really wouldn’t give a fuck what people said in social media. I mean if they are bopping to the beat you got the audience. Here’s the tour schedule hope to see you out there! Picking fights online is for dumb shits.

Comment

• Rikk
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

Eddie Van Halen meant a lot to people because his guitar talent, his music and his stage performance gave them an escape from their shitty lives. Ed made people feel good. So respect it Wolf. Stop pissing on the people who loved your dad. They paid for the nice things you got to enjoy.
                    He truly has a point-of-view that people were lucky to give his family money to hear Eddie playing. To him, every time a Van Halen plays music for people, those people are lucky that they're taking the time to share their "art" with us.

And that's just bullshit.

I prefer the Metallica method of constantly reminding fans that they don't take them for granted and that the band is lucky to have fans who continue to care, 40 years later. People love to rag on Metallica...but watch all the backstage footage there is of Metallica and how they interact with their fans. OR...how they talk to fans in Q & A sessions. Lars, in particular, goes out of his way to be extra sweet to fans, always handing out better tickets, swag...asking fans questions about the city they live, their families, etc. Seriously...there are few bands that consistently treat their fans so nicely. (People love to bring up the Napster shit...and maybe they could have handled that better...but look at what's happened to the industry. Metallica were 100% right.)

Wolfgang is the opposite of Metallica. He has earned NONE of what they had...didn't spend years working hard to establish a brand...every member of Metallica has been poor (Lars grew up in a pretty nice home, with a tennis star dad...but once he was in L.A. and then the Bay Area, he was living in poverty, trying to get his band off the ground.) Metallica really are sweet to the fans they speak to. Wolfgang constantly talks down to them, mocks them, reminds them how lucky they are to be speaking with him...and ignores almost every kind comment thrown his way (again, Metallica do the opposite, with constant, "Thank you very much" or "I'm honored.")
                    Roth Army Militia

Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Yeah I was sympathizing. My dad was a hot shot. He designed a lot of stuff that’s in Las Vegas, Palm Springs and Hawaii. He would design luxury homes for rich clients. I once saw Sammy Davis Jr. go oh don’t say hi and come up and give my dad a big hug. He knew the rat pack so yeah dad did ok.

Comment

• Rikk
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

As far as rock music goes I like it live and raw. Even Prince would usually do a song in one or two takes and move on. Usually those are the best and once you start polishing things too much you ruin what made it interesting. Also most people aren’t even going to notice what you are trying to get rid of.
                        Music is a huge part of my life. I may not make my living doing it...but I spend so much of my free time in my home studio, recording music, sending tracks back & forth to my buddies. I do the drums, they do guitars, bass... I have an actual Hammond B3 (with a Leslie Rotating speaker) in my studio, and I'll sometimes overdub that AFTER the guitars & bass are laid down...I do lead & harmony vocals last.

And you're 100% right. If I'm doing a drum track...or if the band is actually laying down a full basic track live, my philosophy is always to try and get it down in 1-3 takes. Sometimes, even if we do 8 or 9 takes, I still try and choose the 1st or 2nd take...even if there's a slight mistake...because the first takes always have a better feel/groove.

I'm actually glad I'm not a guitar-player because I can still write riffs & music without really being a guitar-player...but recording music with others is much more rewarding than just laying everything down yourself. It's more fun if it's a group accomplishment. You have a vision for your song, then you give it to other musicians...and they come up with other ideas or arrangements you might not have even thought of for your own song.

Wolfgang does it all himself...and people act like it's a big deal. And, really, so many musicians COULD do that. The reason they don't is because a lot of records sound better when there's band interplay...even if the interplay occurs during overdubs.

Van Halen was about the interplay and special qualities four distinct people brought to the band. It was a magical combination. When Eddie practically made an album by himself (VH III), it sounded mostly like shit, was too self-indulgent and he had no one to bounce his ideas off of.

And, to me, this is one of the reasons Wolfgang's music has such a homogenized sound. I certainly didn't notice any growth between his 1st lousy album and the second (except for his belt-size).
                        Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Rikk
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                          Yeah, I take back VHII come to think of it. I liked the bigness of the drum sound on the Fuck stuff, Pleasuredome in particular, but the cd is certainly not worth much of a listen.
                          Yeah...and other VH albums had a change in song styles track-to-track. Even OU812, weak as it is, doesn't all sound the same. But F.U.C.K. is just one homogenized goop. (Interestingly, PLEASURE DOME is maybe the only song I like off of that album.)
                          Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Rikk
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

FUCK was recorded with a Soldano. Dave Friedman told me VH II is his favorite VH guitar sound. He actually voices his amps to get that sound. What’s great is you can get that sound at low volumes.
                            One of my guitar players used to swear by his Soldano, but I never loved the sound for some reason.

I'm not sure if this fully relates to what you're saying...but sometimes, if I'm getting one of the guys to overdub a guitar solo onto a pretty thick backing track, I prefer to keep the amp at a very low volume and turn the mic level up. It compresses better and cuts through the sound better. And there are certain amps that really can still sound really good at a lower amplitude.
                            Roth Army Militia

Comment

• VHscraps
                              Veteran
                              • Jul 2009

That was changed within hours of the original being posted - I suspect it was because the algorithm was suppressing it due to the swear word, i.e., it was before everyone started slagging Dave for it (well, those that slagged him. I congratulate him)

Edit - it is still called 'This F***in Kid' on Apple podcasts:

Last edited by VHscraps; 03-07-2024, 04:23 PM. Reason: add new comment
                              THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• Nitro Express
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

Wolfgang is a member of the lucky sperm club. He is a creation of his mom. He acts just like her. He does have some of the Van Halen musical talent but I don’t give him any special treatment because of his last name. I appreciate Dave throwing some reality on the Wolfgang thing. The kid thinks he’s special, puts on a nice act but is one nasty fuck. That fucking kid!

Comment

Working...