Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Von Halen
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

The 63-year-old “Hot in Cleveland” alum expressed her annoyance over Food Network’s recent slew of content, saying that the eating channel is no longer about cooking.

Comment

• Rikk
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
      This woman is fucking crazy. She's seriously out of her mind if she thinks she's a victim.

And she's attacking Food Network for doing all this "competition-based" programming...when her whole career on the network was based on a show in which she kicked children out for not making "good enough" desserts.

Crazy cunt.
      Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
      Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

They sacked her the earliest they could after the only interesting thing about her died.

Coincidence?

Comment

• Rikk
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
          They sacked her the earliest they could after the only interesting thing about her died.

Coincidence?
          Which is exactly WHY she brings up his name every time she needs press coverage.

I find it extremely telling, by the way, that her Twitter name (or whatever social media she's on) is "wolfiesmom".

Just fucking lame.
          Roth Army Militia

Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Rikk
            FUCK THIS!! Just because you wrote this, I'm going to make the longest Yoko portion of this thread than we've seen yet!! ...

This is partly correct and partly misleading.

Yes, there was not huge record company interest in an album of half-John/half-Yoko. They deliberately made the album with their own money...they weren't actively seeking a record contract the whole time they were recording (partly to keep a lid on the proceedings, in terms of press). Record companies were going kinda apeshit to sign John himself. Geffen made the smart choice by spending a LOT of his interview with the Lennons talking about Yoko. BUT...even after they were signed, Geffen did want the first side of the record to be John and the second side of the record to be Yoko, which John refused.

Also, there's this sort of urban myth that DOUBLE FANTASY was doing badly until John died. It's simply not true.

Sure, the album's sales EXPLODED after John was murdered. But the album was doing quite well before he was shot. (JUST LIKE) STARTING OVER had hit the Top 10 by the end of November, hitting #7 two days before his death. (I like STARTING OVER, but it's nowhere near the best song on the album...I'm sure part of it was people were just excited that John was back after five years away.)

Also, the album went Gold before he died (it was released 21 days before his murder).

DOUBLE FANTASY wasn't on track to become the biggest album of his career...and it very probably wouldn't have won a Grammy had he not died (not that I give a shit about Grammys...I think they're worthless).

But I think it's safe to say the album would have gotten another sales boost once Lennon began the tour he was planning. And this tour would have been awesome. He had a killer band, for one...and he was planning on a really cool setlist...including planning a solo version of I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND (which he had never played solo...hell, he'd done very few solo shows as it is)...and other Beatles songs.

I love DOUBLE FANTASY. It's not one of my very favorite favorite Lennon solo albums (I'd put MIND GAMES at #1 for me...IMAGINE at #2)...but it's good.

And unlike the popular opinion, a few of the Yoko tracks on DOUBLE FANTASY are among my favorites on the album, including HARD TIMES ARE OVER, EVERY MAN HAS A WOMAN WHO LOVES HIM, YES I'M YOUR ANGEL and KISS KISS KISS. In fact, HARD TIMES ARE OVER is among my very favorite tracks on it. HARD TIMES ARE OVER is (besides BEAUTIFUL BOY and WATCHING THE WHEELS) the saddest song on the album. It's a really strong gospel-rock track, with Lennon doing really cool backing vocal parts.

I would also say that MILK & HONEY (the follow-up to DOUBLE FANTASY that features six more Lennon tracks he was saving for the follow-up LP, none of them polished but therefore a little rawer and more rocking than the DOUBLE FANTASY stuff) gives DOUBLE FANTASY a run for its money. I would even argue that NOBODY TOLD ME (from MILK & HONEY) is the strongest song that Lennon recorded in 1980, better than anything on DOUBLE FANTASY (except WATCHING THE WHEELS).

A lot of Beatles fans hate Yoko. I don't. I think she could occasionally be a manipulative asshole. But I think she truly loved John, I think he became truly happy for the first time when he was with her. And, I think she influenced Lennon to have a drive in the 1970s that was sometimes missing from the solo work of his ex-colleagues.

Some Beatles fans also don't love the three reunion tracks The Beatles released in 1995, 1996 & 2023 (FREE AS A BIRD, REAL LOVE and NOW & THEN). I personally love these tracks. When I first heard NOW & THEN, I wasn't blown away. Some months later, I love it. I think it's the strongest of the three (it sounds most like a real band playing together & inspired).

And if it weren't for Yoko, we wouldn't have these three songs.

Anyway, I like Yoko a lot more than I like fucking Courtney Love (who is a disgusting, narcissistic snake)...or Valerie Bertinelli...
            Everything I said is 100% factual, in no way misleading and 200% more interesting than Valerie Bertinelli...

Okay, maybe that statement of mine was partly bullshit...
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Honestly, these days, the most interesting thing to come out of those 1980 Lennon/Ono sessions was the Walking On Thin Ice track far as my ears were concerned. Even with the Double Fantasy stuff, Lennon's tracks are a bit weak once one is able to just listen to them as songs and not attach a bunch of posthumous sentimentality to them. Not terrible, but not among Lennon's greatest solo tunes far as my ears went.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Von Halen
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Yoko sucks and has always sucked.
                John Lennon sucked.
                The Beatles sucked.
                Paul McCartney sucked, and still sucks.
                Ringo seems kinda cool. Too bad he was in that shitty band.
                I can't remember the other fuckers name, but he sucked too.

Comment

• Terry
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

I wouldn't say The Beatles, either as a group or as solo artists, sucked.

I definitely don't value them nearly as highly as many others do re: pop music, or rock music. I never have, really.
                  Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Rikk
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

I like Von...but that's fucking ridiculous.

The Beatles did NOT suck. And I don't just love them because other people do.

I get the same excitement for The Beatles (or a LOT of their solo stuff) that I do from VH.

The one thing I will agree with (and I think even the band wouldn't necessarily deny this) is that they weren't a great live band. But I did see McCartney in 2011 at Soldier Field. Three hours. Fucking amazing.
                    Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

LOL.

One of my best friends who has forgotten more about rock music than I know 1% of has the exact same opinion of the Beatles as Von. Seems extreme to me.

I don't listen to them but I have to give them credit for song writing. There is a bit of a counter though that they were a boy band and it's significantly easier to write pop songs before 100 million people start trying to write pop songs.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Also the other fucker Von can't remember was the best of them and ignoring absolutely everything musically he did with his life George Harrison did way more than the rest of them combined post Beatles including personally bankrolling the best comedy movie ever made.

Comment

• Rikk
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                          Also the other fucker Von can't remember was the best of them and ignoring absolutely everything musically he did with his life George Harrison did way more than the rest of them combined post Beatles including personally bankrolling the best comedy movie ever made.
                          Yes.

Not only did George Harrison make one of the greatest albums of all time (ALL THINGS MUST PASS) but he bankrolled the funniest movie ever made (LIFE OF BRIAN). There is no movie in history as funny as LIFE OF BRIAN. It's fucking perfect (and intelligent). I also love that a highly-spiritual man (which I'm not) bankrolled a movie that makes fun of organized religion in all its forms.
                          Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Terry
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

I wouldn't for a moment deny what The Beatles have meant to others...or the level of their commercial success...or their level of influence.

Perhaps it was because I wasn't born until the year they broke up, but growing up The Beatles weren't more important to me than The Stones, The Who, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix...in point of fact, The Beatles were less important to me than those other groups because I listened to The Beatles less.

So many people - fans, music critics, etc. - consider The Beatles the greatest of all-time or whatever...I just never did.
                            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• nick500
                              Groupie
                              • Jul 2019

Just noticed this:A Different Kind of Truth still up on Soundcloud
                              Wonder if I can remix a track using a Van Halen 1 track as a reference?

Comment

• Seshmeister
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Still not back on Spotify or Apple Music.

Comment

Working...