Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Catfish
    Sniper
    • Jan 2004

That MA bass solo was the worst part of any VH show. They'd create amazing momentum (espec in the early days) and then bring it all to a grinding halt for whales fucking for 5 minutes. It was like starting the concert all over again.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
      Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Catfish
      That MA bass solo was the worst part of any VH show. They'd create amazing momentum (espec in the early days) and then bring it all to a grinding halt for whales fucking for 5 minutes. It was like starting the concert all over again.
      Agreed.

I mean I guess they tried to give Mike SOMETHING cause he wasn't a virtuoso or had anything else to offer on stage all by himself.
      =V V=
      ole No.1 The finest
      EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Catfish
        Sniper
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
        Agreed.

I mean I guess they tried to give Mike SOMETHING cause he wasn't a virtuoso or had anything else to offer on stage all by himself.
        Cocaine break is all I can think of.

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

The AVH drum solo wasn't anything spectacular, either. Least not the one I saw in 1984. Point of fact, AVH's drum solo in 2008 I enjoyed a bit more because it was a bit shorter.

Yeah, the one CVH show I saw in 1984 felt like a lot of start-stop-start-stop. A few tunes, then a bass solo, then a couple tunes, then a drum solo, then a couple of tunes, then a long Dave rap, then a couple tunes, then a long guitar solo. Wasn't even the best concert I saw that year, much less one of the best I'd ever seen for all time looking back. Biggest indoor rock concert production in terms of staging - lighting, etc. - even to this day.
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
            Maybe the hoodied one got the names mixed up from stories he’d heard. The story being that Dave did in fact create Mike’s bass solo and its accompanying antics.

I was recently reading the Cherone interview in the Chris Gill Eruption book and Ed was clearly asking him to pick from solos.

Regardless, all of the Mammoth fanboys are probably pumping their fists at Wolf’s stellar sick burn. Ha!
            Yeah, great. Even with Eddie gone the remaining people who were once in Van Halen are still gonna trash-talk each other from here to eternity.

The whole lot of 'em are lame-o's, still blowing their cunt flaps at one another as if there's anything left to fight over or burn each other about.

I'd say I would expect it from someone Wolfgang's age, but isn't HE in his thirties now?
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Terry
              The AVH drum solo wasn't anything spectacular, either. Least not the one I saw in 1984.
              Are any drum solo's ever apart from Neil Peart and maybe Tommy Lee?

When I was a kid I could never really understand the point of drum solos and then I started drinking beer and discovered they are great as you don't miss anything when you go for a piss, bass solos x2.

The weird thing about Van Halen though is how early they were in the show sometimes. That makes me think it was for the band - coke break, a chance to check in with the sound guy?
              Last edited by Seshmeister; 03-06-2024, 05:45 PM.

Comment

• Fairwrning
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

Well they did have to work in 4 solos....Im guessing Al said " fuck it, Ill get mine over with early"...Im more surprised Ed was always near the end of 90 minutes of playing..

Comment

• Fairwrning
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

Oh yeah.Stewart Copeland on the list of soloist...fuck it..add Taylor Hawkins and that dude from Zepplin
                  Last edited by Fairwrning; 03-06-2024, 07:14 PM.

Comment

• Von Halen
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Who told you that?

Comment

• Terry
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister

When I was a kid I could never really understand the point of drum solos and then I started drinking beer and discovered they are great as you don't miss anything when you go for a piss, bass solos x2.

The weird thing about Van Halen though is how early they were in the show sometimes. That makes me think it was for the band - coke break, a chance to check in with the sound guy?
                      The only drum solo from the 1980's I saw that kinda stuck out for me was Eric Carr's on the Asylum tour, and I think THAT was mostly because he had this ridiculously large drum kit and there was some pyro at the conclusion of his solo. The rest of them all sort of blended into this thing of 5-10 minutes of paradiddles and fast rolls down the toms. I also remember I saw Joey Kramer do a drum solo mid-set on the Done With Mirrors tour and he had these lights attached to his gong holder and the lights made these cool patterns while he was soloing.

I did see Motley Crue in the 80's, but only once opening for Ozzy on the BATM tour: that was before Tommy Lee had the drum risers that elevated or the drum rig that went out over the crowd.
                      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Ha! Tommy Lee didn’t have a drum kit. He had a fucking amusement park.
                        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• MasonL
                          Groupie
                          • May 2022

Notice how the Fat Tub of Lard never denies acting like a silver spooned douche kicking out the ladies and complaining about Dave during shows. And we should probably take what HE’s saying with a grain of salt, given Val Jr wasn’t even a seedling when Eruption or the Frankenstein were created. Fat piece of shit.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Sounds like Wolfie and his fat-rich-kid-mail-order-bride aren't miserable fucks at all!

Comment

• Rikk
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                              Exactly.

John Bonham is my favorite drummer in the world. And I've listened closely to hundreds and hundreds of drummers. He's simply the most perfect rock drummer who ever lived (in my opinion).

AND EVEN THEN...when I watch The Song Remains the Same (I love that movie), the only part in the film during which I kind of shift in my seat, waiting for the scene to be done, is Bonham's drum solo.

When I listen to bands, I listen to the drums sometimes more than anything else. I play drums!! But drum solos are just rarely interesting.
                              Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                              Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Rikk
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Jan 2004

SUPER-FAT WALKING CUNT-FLAP Is Such a Fucking Liar!!!

Wolfgang is just plain classless. The fact that the SUPER-FAT WALKING CUNT-FLAP is actually complaining that he's been "dragged into the drama of the VH world" when he (and Sammy) have been the only two opening their fat, smelly mouths these past three years, bitching about Dave (and occasionally Alex)... SO fucking classless.

And yes, notice he did not even TRY to deny Dave's story about throwing out Dave's guests at concerts during the tours...especially the story about throwing out the employee who had the bonus checks for the entire road crew.

Wolfie strikes me as the kind of guy who would not even know the names of anyone on the road crew. "I'm Eddie Van Halen's son, Wolfie!! I don't need to know the names of the help and I could give a fuck if they get their bonus checks."

And Dave totally strikes me as the kind of guy who DOES know the names of the road crew and makes sure they get their bonus checks.

So...because SUPER-FAT WALKING CUNT-FLAP can't deny Dave's story, he instead throws in another unfounded attack on Dave about Dave claiming he wrote ERUPTION and Eddie's other solos.

I've heard or read maybe 200+ Dave & Van Halen interviews...and I've read Dave's book. David Lee Roth never claimed once in his life that he wrote ERUPTION or even got Eddie to do it for the album. (Ted Templeman AND Eddie both tell the story that Eddie was playing ERUPTION in the studio one day and Ted told Eddie, "Let's record that for the album." And Ted has said that he and Eddie would sometimes disagree over which solos should go in the final mix...like on the FAIR WARNING album.)

SUPER-FAT WALKING CUNT-FLAP may have only played in Van Halen with Dave...but apparently he's learned most of his moves from Sammy Hagar. "Let's just make shit up out of thin air" (the only time the word "thin" exists in that CUNT FLAP's existence).
                                Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                                Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

Working...