X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rikk
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Warham
    Those were the days. 2004-2008 was THE best.
    Damn good times.
    Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
    Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Rikk
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Warham
      Who produced the 2000 tracks they did?
      I don't know if they got as far as being produced. They might have just been demos at that stage.

I know YOU & YOUR BLUES was one of them (with different lyrics, probably...and as mentioned above, possibly NOT finished vocals).

Another one (according to people "in the know") was a Dave-led version of the Sammy song that later became UP FOR BREAKFAST called HOMEBOY. Before you start throwing shit at your screens, I actually think that could have worked. The music is simply a very pumping rock track. Sammy ruined it with those awful vocals and lyrics...but with Dave singing something completely different, it could have been very good.
      Roth Army Militia

Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Rikk
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Catfish
        We used to go round and round back in the old Army/DDLR days. I happened across a photo of a heavy-set woman with an 'F' costume because the internet is a mean place, and brought it to a pal here at the Army who was good enough to add a face. I think I should swap it out, though. Ancient history.
        No no, don't take it off. Leave it on...the avatar!

It's fucking hilarious!! That woman was so fucking crazy. She got sent packing more than once. She was truly the most-disturbed person I've ever come across on any message board/forum in my life.
        Roth Army Militia

Comment

• nick500
          Groupie
          • Jul 2019

Originally posted by Rikk
          I don't know if they got as far as being produced. They might have just been demos at that stage.

I know YOU & YOUR BLUES was one of them (with different lyrics, probably...and as mentioned above, possibly NOT finished vocals).

Another one (according to people "in the know") was a Dave-led version of the Sammy song that later became UP FOR BREAKFAST called HOMEBOY. Before you start throwing shit at your screens, I actually think that could have worked. The music is simply a very pumping rock track. Sammy ruined it with those awful vocals and lyrics...but with Dave singing something completely different, it could have been very good.
          I remember Michael Anthony saying he had recordings of the sessions and that "it was pretty good for the most part."
          The other story was they were ready to do an actual album and then Ed came in drunk and didn't agree with anything in the contract anymore. Is that stuff true?
          There was also John 5 saying he heard a lot of tracks before ADKOT ever came out, I guess from those sessions.

Comment

• Warham
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Mar 2004

You can just tell Dave really wanted to make it work and so many roadblocks like Ed’s drunkenness got in the way.

Comment

• Catfish
              Sniper
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
              The Van Halen music catalog generates $12+ million annually in streaming royalties globally. ADKOT comprised less than 1% of that overall revenue stream.

The cost of the legal fees to draw up a stand-alone streaming contract for ADKOT due to it being released under Introscope Records would exceed the revenue potential for that album overall and it's projected decline in popularity make it a losing prospect. Better to stick with the existing entire VH catalog under the WB umbrella.

ADKOT is just not popular enough globally to warrant the expense compared to the legacy catalog from the band. Thus it's DOA...
              Shut up, Zah.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Rikk
                The music is simply a very pumping rock track. Sammy ruined it with those awful vocals and lyrics...but with Dave singing something completely different, it could have been very good.
                I apply this sentiment to about 20 or so compositions of Ed’s recorded between ‘86 and ‘04.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                  Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                  I apply this sentiment to about 20 or so compositions of Ed’s recorded between ‘86 and ‘04.
                  You can clearly hear Ed's descent and his alcoholism increasing as you work through Van Hagar.

5150, despite the pussy shit, does have a few gems guitar wise. The title track's riff comes to mind.

But then Ed got very lazy by OUSHIT12 and thats when there is a lot of lame wankery and plodding riffs that go nowhere.
                  =V V=
                  ole No.1 The finest
                  EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Totally agree. There are still a good handful of moments where I think, Damn, Dave would’ve knocked this shit out of the park. Two in particular for me are Dirty Water Dog and Ballot Or The Bullet from that less than stellar Cherone CD.

Comment

• Warham
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Mar 2004

“One I Want” could have been good.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Yeah, that one, too. Of course, the riffage would need to be molded into more palatable and structured songs. Ed was really all over the place at this point. Who was there to tell him that? No one.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
                          I got banned when Ed died and I hurt Bertt's feelings by correctly saying Clichegar was using Ed's death to bring attention to himself. He was and still is.
                          Gretta has become such a curmudgeonly cunt...

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                            Yeah, that one, too. Of course, the riffage would need to be molded into more palatable and structured songs. Ed was really all over the place at this point. Who was there to tell him that? No one.
                            I think he was spending a lot of hours at trombone lessons around that time...

Comment

• Catfish
                              Sniper
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
                              I got banned when Ed died and I hurt Bertt's feelings by correctly saying Clichegar was using Ed's death to bring attention to himself. He was and still is.
                              I haven't been to The Stinks in probably 15 years and I'm tempted to go and start a thread saluting Ed's passing for guaranteeing Hagar will never get to return to VH. Cheers to you, Ed, for making the ultimate sacrifice! You'll never be forgotten!!!

That shit'll get banned/deleted before anyone could even see it

Comment

• Rikk
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
                                You can clearly hear Ed's descent and his alcoholism increasing as you work through Van Hagar.

5150, despite the pussy shit, does have a few gems guitar wise. The title track's riff comes to mind.

But then Ed got very lazy by OUSHIT12 and thats when there is a lot of lame wankery and plodding riffs that go nowhere.
                                The song "5150", GET UP...those both would have been great songs with Dave. The music in GET UP practically sounds like a leftover from 1984 (hell, maybe it is).

One of Van Hagar's most offensive moments is that SOURCE OF INFECTION song. Sammy proves right there what a worthless piece of shit he truly is. The instrumental is classic Van Halen riffage with the rhythm section going nuts. And then Sammy sings, "Uh huh! Yeah! All right! That's what I'm talking about!" The guy was so fucking lazy, he just thought, "I'm not even going to try and write my shitty lyrics for this one."

Dave would have taken the SOURCE OF INFECTION instrumental and made some awesome song about eating Chinese food with Japanese Hookers in a bi-plane or something.

All those wasted albums...
                                Roth Army Militia

Comment

Working...