Thread: The NOEL MONK Inventory List...

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

The NOEL MONK Inventory List...

THIS IS NOT NEW (though I've organized it better and thrown in a bit of information based on what we know). I also wanted to take stock of what has leaked for far (not very much).

I have zero faith in the band ever throwing some of this stuff out there for us fans to see. But it would not surprise me to see LARGO '84 just suddenly pop up on YouTube one day...and I think a lot of old-timers feel the same way. I've been good friends with a few hardcore Van Halen fans who have passed away over the years, never getting a chance to see this stuff while it sits and collects dust. Jer, Lounge, Stoffa...they'll never see this shit.

Since the Inventory Sheet was thrown out there for fans to see, we've had the Donington '84 leak and a bit more information on where/when some of this stuff comes from...but a LOT is still unknown. What strikes me is just how many pro-shot videos are listed of the original band (it seems mostly from in-house video crews)...AND the fact that Oakland may have only had THREE songs filmed...but the whole thing was professionally-recorded (which would make for a killer live album)

A few months ago, I ended up getting a full hard drive with the ENTIRE KISS collection Curt Gooch has been hoarding. The collection is insane...a shit-ton of professional footage from 1973-1997 (a lot more than the YouTube leaks from a year or two ago). I can't post any of it for now because of a promise to a buddy of mine...but I'm trying to see if I can make the same score with the Van Halen collection at some point.

HERE IS THE NOEL MONK INVENTORY (** Indicates That This Has Leaked to Fans):

VHS
    1. August 30, 1981: Nashville Municipal Auditorium, Nashville, Tennessee
    2. July 16, 1982: Greensboro Coliseum, Greensboro, North Carolina
    3. July 28, 1981: Capital Centre, Landover, Maryland (Largo)
    4. March 25, 1984: Capital Centre, Landover, Maryland (Largo) (2 Tapes)

3/4" TAPE
    1. October 11, 1982: Capital Centre, Landover, Maryland (Largo) (We Don't Have This Show)
    2. October 12, 1982: Capital Centre, Landover, Maryland (Largo) (THIS Is the Night We Have from the Date Shown) **
    3. May 29, 1983: US Festival, Devore, California (Runnin' with the Devil, Pretty Woman, You Really Got Me, Happy Trails) [FOOTAGE EDITED BY BAND, MULTITRACK MIXED IN 5150 FOR BROADCAST] **
    4. May 29, 1983: US Festival, Devore, California (with TIME CODE...us fans have pretty good versions of this by now WITHOUT THE TIME CODE, though it would be nice to have the whole thing mixed in stereo) **
    5. "2 Bad Cassettes": The label on the tapes actually says this...UNKNOWN where/when this footage is from

BETA TAPES
    14 Full Tapes (No Dates or Venues Listed Concerning WHAT Is On These Tapes...These Were Listed in the Inventory As Also All Being Duplicated to 3/4")

TELECINE 1" & 3/4"
    1. August 16, 1984: Donington Park, Castle Donington, England (Shot On Film, Not Video...THIS Is the Tape That Just Leaked a Few Months Ago) **
    2. 1978 or 1979: Expo Hall, Osaka, Japan (Apparently Shot On Film, Not Video, This Being the Telecine Transfer)
    3. "Van Halen Chronicles": UNKNOWN Just What This Is
    4. "Home Movies": Three Tapes of This (UNKNOWN Where or When These Are From)

MULTI-TRACK and/or SOUNDBOARD AUDIO
    1. August 16, 1984: Donington Park, Castle Donington, England (Either SOUNDBOARD or MULTI-TRACK from Show for Which Video Just Leaked a Few Months Ago; Audio from Video We Have Is Audience-Recorded)
    2. June 11, 1981: Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Arena, Oakland, California (16 Reels, Labelled as "Record Plant", COMPLETE Probably Multi-Track from One of FAIR WARNING Shows for Which 3 Songs Filmed)
    Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
    Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Theses are tapes from Noel’s estate sale? I noticed a bunch of new stuff started surfacing.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Theses are tapes from Noel’s estate sale? I noticed a bunch of new stuff started surfacing.
    The EXACT list from Noel Monk's tape inventory.

Yup, this is why we got Donington (that hoarder asshole, selling single copies for thousands to fans desperate to see the stuff, making some "agreement" with him not to leak it, was PISSED when some fan bought Donington and then went and leaked it).

Have you seen anything else from the list around? I'm pretty desperate to see some of this stuff (but I would NEVER give Curt Gooch my money).

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The Gooch is back.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think part of what made the Donnington thing so good was it being on film. You have the downside of the gaps caused by the changes but late 70s early 80s video quality was pretty shitty.

If this Osaka gig is 1978 then the setlist is

On Fire
    I'm the One
    Bass Solo
    Runnin' With the Devil
    Atomic Punk
    (with Drum Solo)
    Little Dreamer
    Down in Flames
    Feel Your Love Tonight
    Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love
    Summertime Blues
    (Eddie Cochran cover)
    Ice Cream Man
    Somebody Get Me a Doctor
    Eruption
    D.O.A.
    You Really Got Me
    Bottoms Up!

If it's 1979 it will be

Light Up the Sky
    Somebody Get Me a Doctor
    Drum Solo
    Runnin' With the Devil
    Dance the Night Away
    Beautiful Girls
    On Fire
    Bass Solo
    You're No Good
    Jamie's Cryin'
    eel Your Love Tonight
    Ice Cream Man
    Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love
    Guitar Solo
    (Eruption and Spanish Fly)
    You Really Got Me
    Bottoms Up!
    Atomic Punk

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    THIS IS NOT NEW (though I've organized it better and thrown in a bit of information based on what we know). I also wanted to take stock of what has leaked for far (not very much).

I have zero faith in the band ever throwing some of this stuff out there for us fans to see. But it would not surprise me to see LARGO '84 just suddenly pop up on YouTube one day...and I think a lot of old-timers feel the same way. I've been good friends with a few hardcore Van Halen fans who have passed away over the years, never getting a chance to see this stuff while it sits and collects dust. Jer, Lounge, Stoffa...they'll never see this shit.

Since the Inventory Sheet was thrown out there for fans to see, we've had the Donington '84 leak and a bit more information on where/when some of this stuff comes from...but a LOT is still unknown. What strikes me is just how many pro-shot videos are listed of the original band (it seems mostly from in-house video crews)...AND the fact that Oakland may have only had THREE songs filmed...but the whole thing was professionally-recorded (which would make for a killer live album)

A few months ago, I ended up getting a full hard drive with the ENTIRE KISS collection Curt Gooch has been hoarding. The collection is insane...a shit-ton of professional footage from 1973-1997 (a lot more than the YouTube leaks from a year or two ago). I can't post any of it for now because of a promise to a buddy of mine...but I'm trying to see if I can make the same score with the Van Halen collection at some point.

HERE IS THE NOEL MONK INVENTORY (** Indicates That This Has Leaked to Fans):

VHS
    1. August 30, 1981: Nashville Municipal Auditorium, Nashville, Tennessee
    2. July 16, 1982: Greensboro Coliseum, Greensboro, North Carolina
    3. July 28, 1981: Capital Centre, Landover, Maryland (Largo)
    4. March 25, 1984: Capital Centre, Landover, Maryland (Largo) (2 Tapes)

3/4" TAPE
    1. October 11, 1982: Capital Centre, Landover, Maryland (Largo) (We Don't Have This Show)
    2. October 12, 1982: Capital Centre, Landover, Maryland (Largo) (THIS Is the Night We Have from the Date Shown) **
    3. May 29, 1983: US Festival, Devore, California (Runnin' with the Devil, Pretty Woman, You Really Got Me, Happy Trails) [FOOTAGE EDITED BY BAND, MULTITRACK MIXED IN 5150 FOR BROADCAST] **
    4. May 29, 1983: US Festival, Devore, California (with TIME CODE...us fans have pretty good versions of this by now WITHOUT THE TIME CODE, though it would be nice to have the whole thing mixed in stereo) **
    5. "2 Bad Cassettes": The label on the tapes actually says this...UNKNOWN where/when this footage is from

BETA TAPES
    14 Full Tapes (No Dates or Venues Listed Concerning WHAT Is On These Tapes...These Were Listed in the Inventory As Also All Being Duplicated to 3/4")

TELECINE 1" & 3/4"
    1. August 16, 1984: Donington Park, Castle Donington, England (Shot On Film, Not Video...THIS Is the Tape That Just Leaked a Few Months Ago) **
    2. 1978 or 1979: Expo Hall, Osaka, Japan (Apparently Shot On Film, Not Video, This Being the Telecine Transfer)
    3. "Van Halen Chronicles": UNKNOWN Just What This Is
    4. "Home Movies": Three Tapes of This (UNKNOWN Where or When These Are From)

MULTI-TRACK and/or SOUNDBOARD AUDIO
    1. August 16, 1984: Donington Park, Castle Donington, England (Either SOUNDBOARD or MULTI-TRACK from Show for Which Video Just Leaked a Few Months Ago; Audio from Video We Have Is Audience-Recorded)
    2. June 11, 1981: Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Arena, Oakland, California (16 Reels, Labelled as "Record Plant", COMPLETE Probably Multi-Track from One of FAIR WARNING Shows for Which 3 Songs Filmed)
    Thanks for this Rikk.

I agree. Oakland 1981 would make for a killer live album. I envision a 180 gram gatefold LP box set with goodies like a reproduction of the original tour book, band poster from '81, etc.

I mean can someone show Alex the recent Black Sabbath super deluxe of Live Evil? Seriously for fuck sakes.

And if Bertinelli Inc is making things like this hard for Alex to release then Fatty and Co. can go fuck themselves.
    =V V=
    ole No.1 The finest
    EAT US AND SMILE

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Stuff like this brings hope... but time is fading the shine on those diamonds.
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    I must admit....what we have already is not too shabby of a collection, though it is through the efforts of fans that some of it exists.
    Like that video that was released of the Niagara, NY '78 show. Originally silent footage, but some enterprising individual got an audience boot of it, synched it up, and away we go!

Maybe some distant descendant of Wolfie will inherit it all in about 500 years and release it on psychic Visotron for everyone to experience.

Thread Information