Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

I take the piss out of Mike but if the best revenge is living well, he’s getting great revenge.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Well Alex didn't really write a note of a Van Halen song, but thank God he can write a book where he can shit on Michael Anthony for not writing a note for a CVH song....

Comment

• DLR Bridge
        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
        Well Alex didn't really write a note of a Van Halen song, but thank God he can write a book where he can shit on Michael Anthony for not writing a note for a CVH song....
        I don’t know that that’s going to happen. If he has anything bad to say about Mike at all, it’ll be that he made his choice by playing with Sam when the band was on hiatus.

It’s true that Al didn’t sit a the kit and write a song, but he had an involvement in crafting the musical ideas put out by Ed. Coming up with rhythmic drumming parts that are elemental in transitioning from verses to bridges and choruses, etc are, in fact, a form of writing. Listen to the unworldly display of drumming that lies beneath the solo to Jump and then imagine it wasn’t there. I don’t know, maybe I’m reaching but, if he didn’t write, he definitely helped write. I was reading in the Eruption book a response from Ed where he says if it weren’t for Al, Pleasuredome wouldn’t have become a song. I’m sure that’s just one case of Al helping glue parts together, much in the way that we know Dave did, too.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Apr 2005

Should be interesting. Yet somehow I have a feeling it will be about how He & Ed started a revolutionary rock band without giving Roth much credit. Sorry Al but my guess is you and your brother would've been still.playing Sabbath covers into the early 80's until you got bored with it without Roth's drive. Time will tell....

Comment

• DLR Bridge
            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Funny, I was just thinking, I wonder if some of Dave’s recent audio-tales that have shined a less than positive light on the three twins will affect Al’s written perceptions of Dave. I recall, from the final tour and afterwards, Dave saying things like, “Al and I speak on the phone twice a week.” I don’t know about y’all, but I found that extremely difficult to believe.

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

It’s Alex taking control of his family’s image. It won’t be a dirt book. It probably will tell stories of growing up as a Van Halen and what the ride was like.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Most likely. Check out that interview I posted if you haven’t. The one guy, Chris Gill said of Harper Collins that they usually like the dirt. I’m inclined to believe there will be at least a few chunks of mud.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

There will also be an 11 hour audio book

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Also from the DLR Podcast they speculate the timing of Dave suddenly bringing out videos attacking AVH and Wolfgang coincides with the time that the book would have been completed and sent to the publisher. Did Dave read it?

After all these years is that coincidental?

Last edited by Seshmeister; 03-03-2024, 07:31 PM.

Comment

• twonabomber
                      formerly F A T
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Howard Stern mentioned the AVH book the other day and said "hey Alex, if you happen to be listening, I'd like to interview you." Bababooey says they're working on it.

Stern has been such a Hagar shill the last two months, if there's anything in the book that goes after Sammy I can see this interview not happening.
                      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Terry
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

Well, under traditional circumstances, I'd sift through a copy at my local Borders or Barnes & Noble first and then see if I wanted to actually buy a copy. I've done that more and more over the last couple decades with a bunch of different rock bio books. Mostly because the market has been flooded with rock bio books, especially in the last decade as these various aging 80's rockers get older and wheezier. It's actually saved me more than a few bucks because I can usually tell with a quick perusing if the book is gonna be worth my time and money.

I get the felling the Alex book is gonna have some previously unseen photos, but I'm more interested in the text. I mean, for all the lackluster stuff in Hagar's book at least he had a warts-and-all chapter on the 2003-2004 reunion. Should all have a few good chapters along those lines...I mean, Dave's autobio was all over the place but he had some good tales to tell. If Al has some good tales to tell, I'll pony up. If he's just fluffing Eddie's legacy and has nothing to offer other than rare pix, I don't need to spend $40 for that.
                        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                          There will also be an 11 hour audio book
                          Depends on what his voice sounds like.
                          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

How about a sexy female voice?

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                              Most likely. Check out that interview I posted if you haven’t. The one guy, Chris Gill said of Harper Collins that they usually like the dirt. I’m inclined to believe there will be at least a few chunks of mud.
                              Of course. Dirt sells. If Alex is going to throttle anyone it will be Sammy Hagar for talking shit about Eddie when he was down.
                              Last edited by Nitro Express; 03-04-2024, 02:31 AM.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by twonabomber

Stern has been such a Hagar shill the last two months, if there's anything in the book that goes after Sammy I can see this interview not happening.
                                Has he changed that much I haven't heard him in years? Old Howard would have gone straight to the dirt and conflict.

Comment

Working...