• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • twonabomber
    formerly F A T
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Catfish
    He's like Hagar where I don't think they've ever even read a book that wasn't assigned to them.
    I was thinking they've never read a book that doesn't have pictures
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Catfish
      Sniper
      • Jan 2004

He also better cuntfirm that there was never going to be a gay 'kitchen sink tour,' and also knock down all the other horseshit lies from that fuzzy headed faggot.

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Oh I think it’s going to be a family history book more than anything. Al was the most wild guy in the band but he’s a reverend and ham radio operator now. I don’t know if he’s an introvert. He’s a meat and potatoes no bullshit guy.
        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Al is like the guys who worked on my dad’s construction crews. They did excellent work but they went and dove into a vat of alcohol after work was done and the foreman always needed cash to make bail so he could get the crew on the job in the morning. That would be Al’s world if his brother wasn’t a guitar god and David Lee Roth wasn’t there to market the band. It would have been a lunchbox and six pack world for Al. Come on. The guy drank hood level malt liquor.
          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• ZahZoo
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Catfish
            He's like Hagar where I don't think they've ever even read a book that wasn't assigned to them.
            Most likely closest to the truth...
            "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• DLR Bridge
              ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Rikk
              The one AWESOME thing about this book would be if Alex actually spends a lot of time trashing Sammy in it.

THAT would bother the sheep no end. They would be SO upset if this occurred.
              I’d settle for him kicking himself for putting his brother in the position of doing a tour in the state he was in.

Of course, followed by taking a massive shit on Sam.

I doubt he’s going to, though. Both Ed and Al whooped Sam’s ass by completely ignoring him. I don’t see him changing his approach.

Comment

• twonabomber
                formerly F A T
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

How long before Hagar mentions this book?
                Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Rikk
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
                  Hagar cannot avoid mentioning ANYTHING at ANY point.

It's how he markets himself.

He ALWAYS has to open his big fat mouth to mention something so that he can get his name in the press.

What else does he have to talk about? All the memorable recent hits he's been behind? The super-successful albums he's produced since leaving Van Halen? The tons of arena tours on which he's embarked since 2004 (none)?

He'll mention Al's book ONCE HE KNOWS it doesn't slag on him. And if it does, he'll say something like, "I have nothing bad to say about I brother I sold 80 million albums with," which, of course, is a lie in itself...not only how many albums but also the fact that his WHOLE BOOK is slagging on everybody he's ever worked with except maybe Michael Anthony.
                  Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                  Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Rikk
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

I honestly could give a fuck about this book.

I'm past caring. It'll be some pictures. Some stories of Ed's greatness. The odd funny road story. Nothing interesting.

This band continues to BEG ME to give not a single shit about them. (Maybe I'm just in a lousy mood...I'll put on VAN HALEN II in a few days and feel differently.)
                    Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                    Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
                      I'm guessing Hagar is shitting his pants right now...

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                        Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

If Al shits on Sam at various points then its worth a read.
                        =V V=
                        ole No.1 The finest
                        EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Terry
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Rikk
                          I honestly could give a fuck about this book.

I'm past caring. It'll be some pictures. Some stories of Ed's greatness. The odd funny road story. Nothing interesting.

This band continues to BEG ME to give not a single shit about them. (Maybe I'm just in a lousy mood...I'll put on VAN HALEN II in a few days and feel differently.)
                          That's pretty much where I was at when reading here about the book and the pending release.

I mean, first off it's not coming out until...November? I'll probably forget all about it between now and then.

Ostensibly, Alex has been sober for ages, so as others have suggested it probably won't be along the lines of the Ace Frehley book where clearly Frehley couldn't remember anything.

As also mentioned, you take virtually ANY autobiography and it's usually a case of the author being 99.9% blameless in terms of whatever went wrong in their lives. Same as the non-famous family and friends I know whenever they tell me a story about whatever happening to them: everybody else in the story is an idiot or up to no good.

I also get the feeling that whatever Alex has to say that might be of interest will be stuff that could just as easily be conveyed in an interview.

Even in terms of whatever insider perspective Alex can offer, personally between all of Eddie's interviews, Dave's interviews, Dave's book, the Templeman book, the Van Halen Rising book, Noel Monk's book...I've heard enough about the inner workings of Van Halen, to the point where I just plain doubt Al is gonna have much of interest to impart.
                          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Warham
                            This book would serve Alex well if it was just about his life prior to 1978.
                            This is pretty much what I’d like to see. From the boat ride over til the fireworks began are what interest me most. It’s all in how it’s told. I know Al can be an articulate guy, but can he tell a story? We shall see.

I’m sure I’m going to get it, even though I’ve always hated his takes on Dave. The only compliment he ever paid to Dave was of his confidence. That’s lame and ridiculous.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                              Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                              That's pretty much where I was at when reading here about the book and the pending release.

I mean, first off it's not coming out until...November? I'll probably forget all about it between now and then.

Ostensibly, Alex has been sober for ages, so as others have suggested it probably won't be along the lines of the Ace Frehley book where clearly Frehley couldn't remember anything.

As also mentioned, you take virtually ANY autobiography and it's usually a case of the author being 99.9% blameless in terms of whatever went wrong in their lives. Same as the non-famous family and friends I know whenever they tell me a story about whatever happening to them: everybody else in the story is an idiot or up to no good.

I also get the feeling that whatever Alex has to say that might be of interest will be stuff that could just as easily be conveyed in an interview.

Even in terms of whatever insider perspective Alex can offer, personally between all of Eddie's interviews, Dave's interviews, Dave's book, the Templeman book, the Van Halen Rising book, Noel Monk's book...I've heard enough about the inner workings of Van Halen, to the point where I just plain doubt Al is gonna have much of interest to impart.
                              Something that would be of interest - if he even goes there - is how the relationship with Hagar soured and the business dealings with the Cabo Wabo cantina etc.
                              =V V=
                              ole No.1 The finest
                              EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Terry
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
                                Something that would be of interest - if he even goes there - is how the relationship with Hagar soured and the business dealings with the Cabo Wabo cantina etc.
                                Maybe - just maybe, mind you - if Alex went into some detail about Eddie's addictions in terms of what it was like to both be related to him as a brother and be in a commercially successful band with him and have to deal with the addictions, maybe that'd be a book worth reading.

I hate to admit it, but as much as I sort of made a conscious decision after Eddie died to try and focus on the thing about him that I liked best - his guitar playing - and not spend much time thinking about Eddie's addictions and all the bad choices Van Halen made after Roth left...I mean, Eddie is gone, so just remember what made him great in the first place, right? Anyway, despite still wanting to just keep my focus as a fan more on what Eddie did as a guitarist and less on how dysfunctional things were behind the scenes...despite that, I think really the only way Alex is going to 'author' (or co-author or whatever) a compelling book on him and Eddie is to be brutally candid. Candid about his feelings toward Hagar, Roth, Mike Anthony...AND his brother. And a candid book ain't necessarily gonna be a pretty one.
                                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...