Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Catfish
    Sniper
    • Jan 2004

Is this really 'pro shot' or is it just lifted from what was shown on the giant screen during the gig? Because if it's that, there are 50 of these from this tour.

There are numerous DLR videos afoot from the 2002 tour with that flabby asshole that are recordings of the stage screen.

Comment

• Catfish
      Sniper
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Rikk
      Well, I'm glad they kept all three NEW songs from the tour during this shorter festival gig. It's only five songs shorter than a typical set from 2013.

They cut I'M THE ONE, HEAR ABOUT IT LATER (Dave butchered this song on Tokyo Dome), ...AND THE CRADLE WILL ROCK (I'm fine with them cutting this instead of EVERYBODY WANTS SOME or ROMEO), WOMEN IN LOVE and MEAN STREET. I fucking wish they kept MEAN STREET in the set still.

Good setlist, though.
      I love the way Dave sang Hear About it Later on TD, it's one of my favorite things about that album. I don't care about the perfect lyrics, I dig the way he had fun with it in the outro.

Comment

• Rikk
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Catfish
        Is this really 'pro shot' or is it just lifted from what was shown on the giant screen during the gig? Because if it's that, there are 50 of these from this tour.
        What was shown on the screen at Van Halen shows was a mix of pro-shot footage of the band (live feed) with various pre-filmed videos (like Dave's dogs, etc.). Yes, there are a ton of people that actually filmed the screens at shows (which is not very good quality)...but EVERY SINGLE multi-cam of Van Halen during the reunion years that we've had access to (so far) has ALWAYS been strictly filmed by different fans with their phones (or video cameras), edited together with (almost always) sound from audience microphones.

THIS NEW VIDEO was released (or leaked) by the actual director of the pro-shot concert. He has his own channel of pro-shot concerts he's directed for bands, straight from the master tapes.

THIS leak is the VERY FIRST TIME an actual COMPLETE and PRO-SHOT master tape has leaked...NOT filmed by a fan. And it's in 1080p (high-definition)...literally PERFECT quality. The audio is also the soundboard, directly from the board, sync'd perfectly with the pro-shot show.

Trust me: I have at least 20 shows from the reunion years on Blu-Ray that I've downloaded from YouTube (or a few torrent sites). Without exception, every single one of them is filmed by fans (or someone filming the screen from the audience).

Hopefully, there will be more to come. (The band isn't going to release anything as long as Wolfgang keeps pumping out his crappy MAMMOTH albums...so, hopefully, more vids like this one will leak.)
        Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
        Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Rikk
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Silexxx
          Here's more.
          These are great! THANKS! (Gonna use some of these as supplemental features on my Sydney 2013 Blu-Ray I'm making.)
          Roth Army Militia

Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Rikk
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by VHscraps
            Maybe I am misremembering, but I recall a longer version of this press conference - it wasn't packaged up like this clip, edited with the intro etc - and at one point Tyler was getting exasperated with Dave's quips, pulling faces, etc, and he said "I'll have whatever that guy is on". That was a hoot.
            Tyler NEVER liked DLR. When Van Halen broke big, Aerosmith were falling apart (and not selling nearly as many records). Tyler resented the hell out of Dave...thought he was ripping off his whole schtick (which Dave wasn't...Dave isn't almost at all like Tyler, IMO).
            Roth Army Militia

Comment

• VHscraps
              Veteran
              • Jul 2009

That's true - Dave and VH swept them aside when they arrived on the scene.

Talking about influences, Tyler, on the other hand, sometimes strikes me as a fan of Cab Calloway ... Aerosmith sometimes sound like a hard rock version of a 1930s jazz horn band, the riffs, and the scat singing from Tyler. Listen to Bolivian Ragamuffin from 'Rock In A Hard Place', which is one of their greatest albums (unsung, though, cos Joe Perry and Brad Whitford are not on it).
              Last edited by VHscraps; 03-07-2024, 04:26 PM.
              THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Tyler NEVER liked DLR. When Van Halen broke big, Aerosmith were falling apart (and not selling nearly as many records). Tyler resented the hell out of Dave...thought he was ripping off his whole schtick (which Dave wasn't...Dave isn't almost at all like Tyler, IMO).
                Dave’s version of Last Child from the Golden West Ballroom’76 is fookin’ amazing. Even with his microphone breaking up at times.

Comment

• Rikk
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

Talking about influences, Tyler, on the other hand, sometimes strikes me as a fan of Cab Calloway ... Aerosmith sometimes sound like a hard rock version of a 1930s jazz horn band, the riffs, and the scat singing from Tyler. Listen to Bolivian Ragamuffin from 'Rock In A Hard Place', which is one of their greatest albums (unsung, though, cos Joe Perry and Brad Whitford are not on it).
                  You just named what is (in my opinion) Aerosmith's most-underrated album: ROCK IN A HARD PLACE.

This is a seriously good hard rock album.

BOLIVIAN RAGAMUFFIN is the best song on the album...definitely got that 1930s Calloway scat-singing-style on the verses...and the riffs are just killer! (Jimmy Crespo really was a monster.) JAILBAIT is also a seriously great hard rock track.

One could make the argument that NIGHT IN THE RUTS is also under-rated...but I think a lot of people have come around since then to recognize just how great an album that really is. Listen to CHEESE CAKE. Not only is Tyler great on this song...but Perry's slide playing on that is mesmerizing!!
                  Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Rikk
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                    Dave’s version of Last Child from the Golden West Ballroom’76 is fookin’ amazing. Even with his microphone breaking up at times.
                    Damn! I've never heard that. I need to check it out!!
                    Roth Army Militia

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                      ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Damn! I've never heard that. I need to check it out!!

7:45 mark. Ed’s guitar craps out after a kick ass solo, then Al, Mike and Dave keep it grooving until Ed gets back up in there. Dave does some great “LAST CHILD” howls, then his mic craps out. Still amazing for punk kids in ‘76.

God, I just noticed whomever put this video out has Dave with the rings logo on the front. Unforgivable!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

I’m sure equipment crapped out all the time in those days. Chris Holmes said there was a community of guitar players and they were really good at loaning equipment to each other. Ed used his amp, he used Ed’s amp. Guitars were borrowed. The funniest thing was people started peeling their Marshall cabs thinking Ed did it to make them sound better. The reality was Chris Holmes stole the cabs and he peeled them so they couldn’t be identified and Ed eventually ended up with them and even used them on the first world tour.

Whenever I dime my Marshall Super Lead I’m like ok when is something going to blow? Good transformers aren’t so easy to get these days. I did a little experimenting and found a pedal that if I use it with the amp at half volume it sounds just like it’s cranked and I’m not putting so much strain on the amp. It’s all about finding the right combination of things.
                        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

We didn't start the fire
                          It was always burning, since the Death Star's been turning

Comment

• nick500
                            Groupie
                            • Jul 2019

Did they shoot video of every concert on their tours?
                            Dave does some great singing here with just the acoustic on Ice Cream man.
                            I wonder if the instruments and vocals can be isolated with AI and a remix done?
                            If the sound is what Dave was hearing, he'd have a tough time hearing himself clearly.
                            He really needs a slight reverb on his voice, like the old days.
                            Good for the director for putting it out there.

Comment

• Rikk
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge

7:45 mark. Ed’s guitar craps out after a kick ass solo, then Al, Mike and Dave keep it grooving until Ed gets back up in there. Dave does some great “LAST CHILD” howls, then his mic craps out. Still amazing for punk kids in ‘76.

God, I just noticed whomever put this video out has Dave with the rings logo on the front. Unforgivable!
                              The quality of this recording is really, really good.

Damn...time to extract the audio from this and create another album for my iTunes.

Seriously clear-sounding soundboard.

THANKS!!
                              Last edited by Rikk; 03-08-2024, 03:01 PM.
                              Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Seshmeister
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

It's interesting that Aerosmith were ok with 'supporting' Van Halen at this gig especially at an outdoor show which means maybe playing with no lights.

It's usually an ego thing with these people, I'm trying to think of an instance when Dave even as a solo artist supported a younger band than Van Halen. Bands that he has appeared under on a bill were acts like ACDC, KISS and Bad Company, never Guns N Roses or Bon Jovi. In 2013 you would imagine that even ignoring seniority Aerosnith were a bigger act than a reformed Van Halen, even in Australia.

Comment

Working...