Last Online
    @
    Status
    No...mother fucking way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
    Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I remember downloading this from YT soon after the gig and before the Tokyo Dome album was released. No idea who posted it back then. I think the only thing different looking with this is the opening shot of the stage, head on from some way back in the auditorium.
    THINK LIKE THE WAVES

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by VHscraps View Post
    I remember downloading this from YT soon after the gig and before the Tokyo Dome album was released. No idea who posted it back then. I think the only thing different looking with this is the opening shot of the stage, head on from some way back in the auditorium.
    I'm pretty sure this is unique.

There IS a front-row view of Tokyo that's been up since before the live LP came out...but it's NOT the pro-shot one we're getting and it doesn't cut to shots of Alex, etc. That same one was later re-submitted with the live LP sync'd to it for better sound.

Anyway, no matter.

I'm going to get to work sync'ing the whole of this new video to the live LP sound after I finish some more work and then take my kid to the orthodontist. It really will only take a couple hours to make sure it's sync'd in all the right places.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Eruption with Tokyo Dome album audio track. This could've been nice officially released dvd/bluray with 5.1 audio, more camera angles etc. back in 2015 when they released the cd version. Glad that we now at least get this 2.0 fan version!

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Silexxx View Post

Eruption with Tokyo Dome album audio track. This could've been nice officially released dvd/bluray with 5.1 audio, more camera angles etc. back in 2015 when they released the cd version. Glad that we now at least get this 2.0 fan version!
    This is great stuff!

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Here's some more.
    Last edited by Silexxx; 03-10-2024 at 04:26 AM.

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I've just checked out, there wasn't any other gig just before or after. So it's the same as what you got in the live album.
    Yet, Dave sounds much better... I just don't understand how.

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jιrτme Frenchise View Post
    I've just checked out, there wasn't any other gig just before or after. So it's the same as what you got in the live album.
    Yet, Dave sounds much better... I just don't understand how.
    What show are you talking about, Tokyo Dome? They did one show before it in Nagoya and two afterwards in Osaka.
    Sometimes rest and actually sticking to the song can make a singer sound a lot better.
    For the most part Dave sings alright here.

The record sounds way better than the soundboard recording, which is way too dry.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Someone did a great upgrade of the 78 &79 Fresno shows also on YouTube. I hope the guy who who leaked the Tokyo & Australia shows posts a 08 show. Roth actually looked interested in singing still on that tour.
    Last edited by 78/84 guy; 03-11-2024 at 11:10 AM.

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The Nagoya show would be good too.
    Dave sounds pretty good on it and this version of You Really Got me has a great break with Ed playing a very jazz like clean at times.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnGF...ydUVr1&index=2
    They should have picked the best performances from all the Japan shows for the cd.

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    @nick500 I meant no other concert in Tokyo.
    I was really surprised how Dave sounded much better than on the live album, which is the exact same night.
    Or maybe I got used to it.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Both original videos now listed as private. Hopefully people who wanted it downloaded it.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    And now it seems like his youtube channel has been deleted completely.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Silexxx View Post
    And now it seems like his youtube channel has been deleted completely.
    Yeah, I saw that.

Looks like Wolfie or Alex taught this poster "a good lesson."

Fucking losers. I'm just glad I downloaded these concerts before the videos (and the channel) were taken down for good. Thankfully, someone else is posting Sydney still. And Tokyo is still up (in parts) sync'd to the live album.

If anyone still doesn't have Sydney, someone else has uploaded it and it's still there...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 78/84 guy View Post
    Someone did a great upgrade of the 78 &79 Fresno shows also on YouTube. I hope the guy who who leaked the Tokyo & Australia shows posts a 08 show. Roth actually looked interested in singing still on that tour.
    That was Roth's last good tour.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    😟☝️ Ouch ! Come on Terry. You must have watched some videos of Ed & Alex raging on Roth. He was fine unil about 81. Actually I think he was mostly fine until 2008. Except 1994 when I saw him. He was bad. Well so was his dime store band that tour. V.H. started playing too fast on the D.D. & 1984 tours. You try keeping up vocally with those b.p.m. I think he was decent on the Vai tours. And from 99-08. It was over in 2012. By the way a guy is selling boots of both of these shows on Blu ray on ebay already. If you want a hard copy. Fuck the V.H. camp for not releasing this stuff. I just wish a 08 show would've leaked out.....

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    😟☝️ Ouch ! Come on Terry. You must have watched some videos of Ed & Alex raging on Roth. He was fine unil about 81. Actually I think he was mostly fine until 2008. Except 1994 when I saw him. He was bad. Well so was his dime store band that tour. V.H. started playing too fast on the D.D. & 1984 tours. You try keeping up vocally with those b.p.m. I think he was decent on the Vai tours. And from 99-08. It was over in 2012. By the way a guy is selling boots of both of these shows on Blu ray on ebay already. If you want a hard copy. Fuck the V.H. camp for not releasing this stuff. I just wish a 08 show would've leaked out.....
    No, that was what I was saying, referencing the ADKOT Tokyo and Down Under tours but saying from my perspective that the 2007-2008 tour was Roth's last good tour. Far as lead vocals went, anyway.

I definitely wasn't saying Van Halen's second tour in 1979 was Roth's last good tour!

Nah! Roth was fine in 1984 and 1986 when I saw him. AND 1999 when opening for Bad Co. And 2005. And 2006. The voice, screams and such weren't as strong as the years wound on, but he was able to service the tunes live. Until 2012. Once the ADKOT tour hit, [Roth] was so sporadic vocally...and not even from one show to the next or one song to the next but literally from one verse to the next!

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Why the fuck do people spend money for these Blu-Rays?

It will take me about an hour to make my own Blu-Ray of the Sydney show...and I'm adding the press conference (still available on YouTube) and the Aerosmith show (Aerosmith in 2013 isn't exactly in the same universe as their 1970s peak, but the Blu-Ray with the press conference, entire VH show and entire Aerosmith show is a pretty sweet package).

I'm also in the middle of sync'ing the Tokyo Dome live album to my download of the pro-shot show.

Pisses me off that people are buying this for good money. Real fans should be happy to share these clips with each other.

And yes...FUCK Van Halen. The only reason both of these gigs are such a hot commodity is because this fucking band shares NOTHING with its fans.

But didn't you hear that fat fuck Wolfgang? "Anything worth releasing has been released so far." I don't buy that philosophy...and we have a ton of leaked stuff that disproves Tubby.

Hell, that fat guy keeps releasing MAMMOTH WVH albums that aren't worth releasing...so he should keep his big fat mouth shut.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    No, that was what I was saying, referencing the ADKOT Tokyo and Down Under tours but saying from my perspective that the 2007-2008 tour was Roth's last good tour. Far as lead vocals went, anyway.

I definitely wasn't saying Van Halen's second tour in 1979 was Roth's last good tour!

Nah! Roth was fine in 1984 and 1986 when I saw him. AND 1999 when opening for Bad Co. And 2005. And 2006. The voice, screams and such weren't as strong as the years wound on, but he was able to service the tunes live. Until 2012. Once the ADKOT tour hit, [Roth] was so sporadic vocally...and not even from one show to the next or one song to the next but literally from one verse to the next!
    Honestly, he was completely fine when I saw him in Chicago in 2012 (the last time I saw VH).

Also, Roth sounds pretty damn good in the last gig at the Hollywood Bowl (which Hardrock, from this forum, posted a great multi-cam 1080p video of, sync'd with the soundboard).

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I misunderstood you Terry. Maybe I should've reread my own post. LOL ! I didn't think Roth was good at those last shows at all. A few songs. Maybe half if I'm being nice. I think the effort was there on most of them. But I can't really listen too it. Or the Tokyo show. Again, half of it is solid. I kinda like the Sydney show. They seemed a little jacked up even for a shorter set. But again, could you drop Dance The Night Away & Chinatown ? Just awful vocals on both.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    Honestly, he was completely fine when I saw him in Chicago in 2012 (the last time I saw VH).

Also, Roth sounds pretty damn good in the last gig at the Hollywood Bowl (which Hardrock, from this forum, posted a great multi-cam 1080p video of, sync'd with the soundboard).
    Nope, he didn't sound fine when you saw him in Chicago in 2012. You were just making excuses and allowances for him, engaging in self-delusion because you wanted him to sound fine. It's understandable. I didn't go to the Tampa 2012 show wanting him to sound hoarse and badly off-key for more than half the show...but he did. And it was a situation that never rectified itself. Not on that tour nor the subsequent one.

Nah, I'm just fuckin' with you. If he sounded good to you, then he sounded good to you.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I misunderstood you Terry. Maybe I should've reread my own post. LOL ! I didn't think Roth was good at those last shows at all. A few songs. Maybe half if I'm being nice. I think the effort was there on most of them. But I can't really listen too it. Or the Tokyo show. Again, half of it is solid. I kinda like the Sydney show. They seemed a little jacked up even for a shorter set. But again, could you drop Dance The Night Away & Chinatown ? Just awful vocals on both.
    It was misdirected effort on his part, expending too much energy to yelp off-key when it would have been less of an effort to not yell the tunes in that strained yelp of his and merely sing the stuff. Would have sounded better, too. But whatever. That's all in the past, and it's not sensible to wallow in nostalgia. Not when we still have Wolfgang's solo career to look forward to...and Sammy's tour!

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Nope, he didn't sound fine when you saw him in Chicago in 2012. You were just making excuses and allowances for him, engaging in self-delusion because you wanted him to sound fine. It's understandable. I didn't go to the Tampa 2012 show wanting him to sound hoarse and badly off-key for more than half the show...but he did. And it was a situation that never rectified itself. Not on that tour nor the subsequent one.

Nah, I'm just fuckin' with you. If he sounded good to you, then he sounded good to you.
    I went to the 2007-2008 tour twice (once at United Center in 2007, once at Allstate in 2008). Dave was really good for both. I can't say which was better.

I went to the 2012 tour once (United Center, as I mentioned). I went with my wife and my cousin (very close friend). My cousin had never seen VH before but had been a fan since the mid-80s...but would NOT go to a Van Hagar show. He'd had to back out of the 2008 Allstate show at the last minute. All three of us (in 2012) listened very closely and we all thought Dave did a great job (except for his temper tantrum in the usual "dog sequence" before ICE CREAM MAN...he lost his shit, which kind of disappointed us...the crew had fucked something up and he couldn't be professional about it).

I have (I think) 3-4 shows from the 2007-2008 period on Blu-Rays. I have maybe 15 shows from 2012-2013 on Blu-Ray. I've listened closely. Roth is fine. One thing people keep not noticing is that the backing vocals were backing tracks in the 2007-2008 period. That's how they got that "high Michael" vocal sound. In 2012, they started just doing live vocals from Eddie & Wolfgang...and they never properly sang the high vocal parts Michael used to do (just low vocals) and it sounded like shit.

And Dave got the blame for that.

I've debated with sheep at the Links over the quality of Roth even back in the old days. These people will watch Montreal 1984 or Largo 1982 (even Fresno '78 & '79) and go on and on about how "horrible" Dave is.

I don't buy it. His voice gets shrill sometimes, sure. He tries to reach notes he shouldn't. But generally, Dave sings on-key. I'm a singer...and I have perfect-pitch...I'm picky about this shit. And I've watched a ton of Dave gigs. It's a form of performance art. He's like James Brown...he's not concentrating on singing every line...he's more interested in a performing package.

I don't defend Dave because I'm some sort of "super fan." I defend Dave because I really think he has it right.

In fact, another thing that doesn't get mentioned nearly enough is during the reunion years, Dave did less moving (he was older, after all) and more singing. He was far more consistent (and clearly using less substances).

The guy who posted Sydney 2013 and Tokyo 2013...he also had a Van Hagar gig from 2015 (the last gig of the tour...pro-shot...not that Toronto gig or that Pensacola gig). I watched some of it out of curiosity. If you listen to Sam in that gig, he's singing fucking flat line after line. He sounds fucking horrible. Do the sheep ever talk about how often that idiot could slip out of tune?

The 2012-2013 tour was Roth's least-consistent...maybe worst tour (at least out of the reunion era). In 2015, he was far more on. I wish I hadn't missed that tour...but my daughter was one, we were ecstatic to have her, I was going to less shows. I NEVER thought Van Halen would never tour again.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    In fact, another thing that doesn't get mentioned nearly enough is during the reunion years, Dave did less moving (he was older, after all) and more singing. He was far more consistent (and clearly using less substances).

The guy who posted Sydney 2013 and Tokyo 2013...he also had a Van Hagar gig from 2015 (the last gig of the tour...pro-shot...not that Toronto gig or that Pensacola gig). I watched some of it out of curiosity. If you listen to Sam in that gig, he's singing fucking flat line after line. He sounds fucking horrible. Do the sheep ever talk about how often that idiot could slip out of tune?
    I always imagined a better path for a less mobile (jumpy kicky) Roth would have been him strapping on a Tele or something good enough to flesh out some rhythms or simply bang out a chord or two. I think a switch up like that would’ve been more rock and roll than the jazz hands and slip’n slide, but hey, Dave gotta do Dave and I love him no less.

I never did like him blasting the crew, though. It became his “I’m gonna fuck your girlfriend, pal” of modern times and it was not a good look. He pulled that at the final show I’d seen them. Camden NJ 2015. They had just picked up from pausing the tour for whatever ailment he had. I can’t recall what it was, but he sounded like he was singing with a sore throat. Rikk, I’m sure you’ve been there. Sucks, don’t it? Anyway, there are YouTubes of the show and in the second or third song, he stops it mid way to go hand this guy his ass. For some odd reason, antics like that usually garner an applause, like ‘you tell’em, Dave!’ Ugh. No, never like that.

Did you mean a solo Sammy show from 2015 or Van Hagar 2004? Whichever, that fucking guy is flat on virtually every challenging note he’s got. Even the less challenging ones! He could never even get that moan of his from the beginning of Poundcake right and that was their opening fucking song in 91!

Speaking of which, I had been stomaching some Hagar era YouTubes in search of some good Ed moments and that’s how I came onto noticing, retrospectively, how off Hagar is. He was a throat singer and it was usually shot by the 4th song.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    I always imagined a better path for a less mobile (jumpy kicky) Roth would have been him strapping on a Tele or something good enough to flesh out some rhythms or simply bang out a chord or two. I think a switch up like that would’ve been more rock and roll than the jazz hands and slip’n slide, but hey, Dave gotta do Dave and I love him no less.

I never did like him blasting the crew, though. It became his “I’m gonna fuck your girlfriend, pal” of modern times and it was not a good look. He pulled that at the final show I’d seen them. Camden NJ 2015. They had just picked up from pausing the tour for whatever ailment he had. I can’t recall what it was, but he sounded like he was singing with a sore throat. Rikk, I’m sure you’ve been there. Sucks, don’t it? Anyway, there are YouTubes of the show and in the second or third song, he stops it mid way to go hand this guy his ass. For some odd reason, antics like that usually garner an applause, like ‘you tell’em, Dave!’ Ugh. No, never like that.

Did you mean a solo Sammy show from 2015 or Van Hagar 2004? Whichever, that fucking guy is flat on virtually every challenging note he’s got. Even the less challenging ones! He could never even get that moan of his from the beginning of Poundcake right and that was their opening fucking song in 91!

Speaking of which, I had been stomaching some Hagar era YouTubes in search of some good Ed moments and that’s how I came onto noticing, retrospectively, how off Hagar is. He was a throat singer and it was usually shot by the 4th song.
    Sorry...you're right. I meant to write 1995. The guy had a BALANCE era show...and it's stunning how off-key Hagar is. Dude is a complete throat singer. It makes me sick when I read sheep going on about how he's the best singer in rock and roll history. Sam Hagar isn't 1/100th the singer that Freddie Mercury was...not 1/50th the singer Ian Gillan was...Dio... His voice seems to go a lot in Van Hagar clips. These sheep act like he's Steve Perry. I do NOT like Journey, but I will admit that dude could sing. And Sam Hagar is not even in the same universe.

You are correct, sir (when it comes to singing). Singing when your throat is sore or you can feel your voice going...it just sucks. You can sing through the pain and the uncomfortable feeling in your throat. But there's NOTHING you can do when your voice just won't do it.

Dave bitching about the road crew live...who wants to hear that? (That said, I believe his story about Wolfgang kicking the person out who had the bonus checks for the road crew. We're really supposed to believe that Wolfgang is somehow above such behavior? Look at how he treats anyone publicly. Look at how he talks to fans. That fat fuck is not above treating the "common employees" like crap.)

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It still cracks me up that my daughter, who always tries to say nice things about people, could not help herself when we were watching the Oscars and make the comment: "Wow, that guy sure is ugly." She just couldn't help herself.

My wife made the comment when I asked her...she said, "Wolfgang is basically the complete opposite, in every way, of a good-looking guy."

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I definitely believe Wolf pulled some shit there. Whether Dave stretched out the tale for effect remains to be known. Mr Hoodie is being praised for taking the high road by people who don’t realize he kinda shot first. Doesn’t seem like that story is going to get a follow up from anyone. Seems like the sort of thing Darren Paltrowitz P.I. might be able to look into. Talk to Dave’s guests.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

"V.H. started playing too fast on the D.D. & 1984 tours. You try keeping up vocally with those b.p.m." Glad you mentioned this. I noticed it a long time ago, well even live at the time, but thought no one else or forgot someone would have noticed anyways probly they were on coke of course...
    Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I went to the 2007-2008 tour twice (once at United Center in 2007, once at Allstate in 2008). Dave was really good for both. I can't say which was better.

I went to the 2012 tour once (United Center, as I mentioned). I went with my wife and my cousin (very close friend). My cousin had never seen VH before but had been a fan since the mid-80s...but would NOT go to a Van Hagar show. He'd had to back out of the 2008 Allstate show at the last minute. All three of us (in 2012) listened very closely and we all thought Dave did a great job (except for his temper tantrum in the usual "dog sequence" before ICE CREAM MAN...he lost his shit, which kind of disappointed us...the crew had fucked something up and he couldn't be professional about it).

I have (I think) 3-4 shows from the 2007-2008 period on Blu-Rays. I have maybe 15 shows from 2012-2013 on Blu-Ray. I've listened closely. Roth is fine. One thing people keep not noticing is that the backing vocals were backing tracks in the 2007-2008 period. That's how they got that "high Michael" vocal sound. In 2012, they started just doing live vocals from Eddie & Wolfgang...and they never properly sang the high vocal parts Michael used to do (just low vocals) and it sounded like shit.

And Dave got the blame for that.

I've debated with sheep at the Links over the quality of Roth even back in the old days. These people will watch Montreal 1984 or Largo 1982 (even Fresno '78 & '79) and go on and on about how "horrible" Dave is.

I don't buy it. His voice gets shrill sometimes, sure. He tries to reach notes he shouldn't. But generally, Dave sings on-key. I'm a singer...and I have perfect-pitch...I'm picky about this shit. And I've watched a ton of Dave gigs. It's a form of performance art. He's like James Brown...he's not concentrating on singing every line...he's more interested in a performing package.

I don't defend Dave because I'm some sort of "super fan." I defend Dave because I really think he has it right.

The 2012-2013 tour was Roth's least-consistent...maybe worst tour (at least out of the reunion era). In 2015, he was far more on. I wish I hadn't missed that tour...but my daughter was one, we were ecstatic to have her, I was going to less shows. I NEVER thought Van Halen would never tour again.
    I know you don't defend Dave or lack a critical capacity toward him because you're a super fan.

I do also agree that between the 2007-2008 tour and the 2012 tour there was a difference in the backing vocal sound, with the ADKOT tour backing vocals sounding less full than those of the 2007-2008 tour.

Dave's lead vocals (not talking the backing vocals) in 2012 at the show I saw were bad. It was off-putting. To the point where I passed on the 2015 tour. I've watched several shows from the 2015 tour via youtube, and at each of those shows Roth was all over the place vocally and sounded just as bad as he had in 2012. And let's not even go down the "you can't tell about the vocals re: a youtube clip" road. You can hear if somebody's straining off-key on a youtube clip.

I mean, the Van Halen brothers have come across as a couple of idiotic dickheads to me since at least 1996. BUT the Van Halen brothers were still able to get the job done on those last two Van Halen tours. Dave wasn't.

I would say, though, had I known at the time the 2015 tour was gonna be the last one...I may well have went.

Sometimes it was almost as if my level of appreciation for Van Halen and my expectations for a reunion worked to my detriment when Roth finally rejoined the band, in that were I a more casual fan of the band I wouldn't have felt as disappointed at times. But what else can I say? Ed was too drunk to play well in 2008. Dave sounded awful more often than not to me after 2008.

Shit, I wish the original lineup had gotten their act together in 1996 when they were still on the young side of 50 years old instead of fucking around for a decade. But, well, they didn't.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    There’s something about the memory of seeing that band for the last time that resonates with me. I had taken oldest daughter with me who was 11 or 12 at the time. Got cheap seats towards the back, literally just ahead of the lawn seat crowd. She had a blast, but towards the end, she was getting a massive headache from all of the pot smoke we were surrounded by. I knew they would end with Panama and Jump, so at the first chord of Panama, I figured we’d better head out to the car. We headed directly towards the front of the stage before veering out of there, and I could not believe how amazing that sounded. Made me wish I’d sprung for something better, but really resent how expensive seats have gotten. By the time we got out to the car, Jump was swirling through the air and I do remember thinking, til next time.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ed was too drunk to play well in 2008. Dave sounded awful more often than not to me after 2008.

Shit, I wish the original lineup had gotten their act together in 1996 when they were still on the young side of 50 years old instead of fucking around for a decade. But, well, they didn't.
    It is something how they were almost like ships in the night in that regard. ‘07-‘08 Dave with ‘12-‘15 Ed would have been something special.

Had they gotten it all together in the ‘96-‘00 area, that would have been the shit. If it ended in 3 or 4 years, I’d still be glad that it at least happened.

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Sorry...you're right. I meant to write 1995. The guy had a BALANCE era show...and it's stunning how off-key Hagar is. Dude is a complete throat singer. It makes me sick when I read sheep going on about how he's the best singer in rock and roll history. Sam Hagar isn't 1/100th the singer that Freddie Mercury was...not 1/50th the singer Ian Gillan was...Dio... His voice seems to go a lot in Van Hagar clips. These sheep act like he's Steve Perry. I do NOT like Journey, but I will admit that dude could sing. And Sam Hagar is not even in the same universe.

You are correct, sir (when it comes to singing). Singing when your throat is sore or you can feel your voice going...it just sucks. You can sing through the pain and the uncomfortable feeling in your throat. But there's NOTHING you can do when your voice just won't do it.

Dave bitching about the road crew live...who wants to hear that? (That said, I believe his story about Wolfgang kicking the person out who had the bonus checks for the road crew. We're really supposed to believe that Wolfgang is somehow above such behavior? Look at how he treats anyone publicly. Look at how he talks to fans. That fat fuck is not above treating the "common employees" like crap.)
    Sammy Hagar is one of the most overrated singers in rock history. Like Ed said: a B+ singer.
    If I remember he also said something like "Roth isn't half the sing Hagar is, but the creativity..."
    He knew Hagar was a lazy hack. The two eras are there for everyone to hear.
    Dave is a better singer than people give him credit for, including Ed.
    Even on Ice Cream man during the Sydney Stone Festival he sounds pretty good by himself.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    It is something how they were almost like ships in the night in that regard. ‘07-‘08 Dave with ‘12-‘15 Ed would have been something special.

Had they gotten it all together in the ‘96-‘00 area, that would have been the shit. If it ended in 3 or 4 years, I’d still be glad that it at least happened.
    I mean, retro hypothetical daydreaming or whatever...pointless, but from what I can suss out I'm along the same lines as you re:

A single tour of the CVH lineup in the late 1990's would have been preferrable to the net result of the 2007-2015 tours.

Like, even if the band had just put out the two Roth BOV1 tracks in 1996 and then it took them a year to record a new album and have the time for Ed to address his then-medical issues, that would have been cool. I mean, it took the band about a year and a half after the announcement in the fall of 1996 that Roth was out and Cherone was in for the Van Halen III album to be released and the Van Halen III lineup to hit the road anyway so I would have been fine with the band taking that same 18 months they ended up using if a CVH album and tour was the end result instead of Van Halen III.

The 3 tours the band did end up doing with Dave...in the end I thought the band could have produced a better result but for their own fuckups. They fucked up by chucking Anthony out. They fucked up by wasting a decade. Eddie fucked up on the first tour. Roth didn't sing as well on the last two reunion tours as he did the first reunion tour.

Couldn't even be bothered watching the clips of that 2013 stuff...the Japan gigs or the Down Under gigs...I'm not gonna say the last three reunion tours with Dave were shit from top to bottom, but watching that stuff just makes me wistful for the CVH years. Back when the band were still crushing it. Even with the 1984 tour and album when Roth and the rest of the band were probably getting along the worst they ever did during the CVH years, the band still put out a great album and could deliver the goods live.

But, whaddayagunna do, eh?

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4mXV...RyajAzeW1mdQ==

Just saw this on Instagram. People are now sharing little clips of this show, with Tokyo CD audio added. This clip of You Really Got Me has already over 800k views and 14k likes. Imagine if VH actually promoted stuff like this.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    We can critique the 2007-2015 tours and ADKOT... but frankly given the way Edward was spiraling towards the graveyard from 2000-2006 with his substance abuse and cancer battles... we're pretty dang lucky we got what we got rather than the Hagar reunion, a shitty porn soundtrack, funeral and some sappy tributes.
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    We can critique the 2007-2015 tours and ADKOT... but frankly given the way Edward was spiraling towards the graveyard from 2000-2006 with his substance abuse and cancer battles... we're pretty dang lucky we got what we got rather than the Hagar reunion, a shitty porn soundtrack, funeral and some sappy tributes.
    This.

I'm still thankful beyond belief that we got three tours with Dave, a new album I still love and a live album that I personally still enjoy.

There are tons of shows on YouTube that I watch often.

Van Halen with Dave broke up when I was 9. Decades later, I finally got to see them.

Consider what a joke Van Halen had become for years before the Dave reunion...

...I stay out of the conversations in which people love to bitch about certain elements that weren't the same during the reunion years.

I'm just thankful we got the Van Halen we got from 2007-2015.

Thankful is how I will always feel.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    I can't disagree that considering how Eddie was looking from 2000-2006 it was...I mean, come the summer of 2006, I wouldn't have given odds that Eddie would be around for even a single tour with Roth that was to commence in the fall of 2007, much less three tours with Roth and another Van Halen album.

I also couldn't disagree that whatever my critiques of the 2007-2015 years, in the end for me as a fan of what the guy did...it was a good thing to see him regain his ability and conclude his career with a last tour where he was playing well. AND his final tour was one where he was playing CVH material.

Thread Information