• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • twonabomber
    formerly F A T
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Rolling Stone: 100 best Beatles solo songs

#1 is not what you think. Maybe it isn't Jann Wenner's Rolling Stone any more.

Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.
  • DLR Bridge
    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

What a daunting task. My answers to anything like that could change by the day.

Comment

• Rikk
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

Nice list. They left out a lot of great songs (and put in a few questionable ones...I mean, HI HI HI is one of the great Beatles solo songs but the title song LIVING IN THE MATERIAL WORLD doesn't get a mention, unless I missed it?...that song has Harrison's best-ever guitar solo).

Nice to see they didn't put in the usual IMAGINE at #1. Great song...but nice to see them trying to do something interesting.

I could pick 200 or even 300 Beatles solo songs I love. And I like that they gave a shout out to Paul's CHAOS & CREATION IN THE BACKYARD, my favorite Paul album besides RAM.

Yes, Jann Wenner being gone is such a good thing.

Also, nice to see MIND GAMES so high. I always liked that song more than IMAGINE.

I would have put JEALOUS GUY ever a little higher in the list.

And yes, IT DON'T COME EASY is a great song...as is the b-side (which they put in their list) EARLY 1970. It's possibly the best song about The Beatles' break-up, better even than TOO MANY PEOPLE or HOW DO YOU SLEEP.

Am I wrong or did they put nothing from George's CLOUD NINE or BRAINWASHED albums? Both of those albums had some very solid songs.
      Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
      Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• ZahZoo
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

So much good material to choose from from those 4 guys... I didn't notice anything from Cloud Nine or Brainwashed. Two of my favorite records...
        "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Rikk
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
          So much good material to choose from from those 4 guys... I didn't notice anything from Cloud Nine or Brainwashed. Two of my favorite records...
          Exactly. People shit on CLOUD NINE now. And, basically, they do that because of GOT MY MIND SET ON YOU. Now...I unapologetically like GOT MY MIND SET ON YOU...but I will admit that I can understand why people hate that song.

But CLOUD NINE also has FISH ON THE SAND, THAT'S WHAT IT TAKES, WHEN WE WAS FAB, JUST FOR TODAY, BREATH AWAY FROM HEAVEN, SOMEPLACE ELSE...it's a killer album (and much better than his previous album, GONE TROPPO, the best track of which is a re-do of an old Beatles outtake, CIRCLES).

BRAINWASHED was an excellent, amazing posthumous album...and it wasn't one of those cobbled-together posthumous projects. George left detailed notes on what he wanted Dhani & Jeff to do with those songs (overdub-wise) and George even did the final tracklist and suggested the artwork. Shame he never heard the final album. But songs like STUCK INSIDE A CLOUD, ANY ROAD, PISCES FISH, ROCKING CHAIR IN HAWAII (originally an outtake from ALL THINGS MUST PASS), RUN SO FAR and the Grammy-winning instrumental MARWA BLUES...these are amazing songs. And amazingly-produced. I always wished that album had done better. I bought it the day it came out.
          Roth Army Militia

Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Rikk
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

What gets me mad is George apparently left 25-30 songs in his archives for at least two new studio albums...all with basic drums, acoustic guitar and a lead vocal (some scratch vocals but finished). Dhani has admitted he could take another 12 of the best songs left over and make another George album. Well...what is he waiting for? It's been almost 22 years since BRAINWASHED...let's go! Get Jeff Lynne and do another George Harrison album. Maybe it wouldn't be as good as BRAINWASHED...but it would be amazing to have another George Harrison album.
            Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Kristy
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Surprised to have found this on that otherwise shitty list

Comment

• Kristy
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

And then this weird fucked-up video

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

"It don't come easy" might have been Ringo's best solo single. Though it could have just as easily been George's single....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

"Jealous Guy" in its original form......

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

Working...