Joe Satriani & Steve Vai Chat About Stage Volume, David Lee Roth & Mick Jagger & More

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

It's offensive and shame on Anthony for being involved.

Hagar has zero respect for his audience and always thinks he is smarter than them when he really is obvious and pretty dumb.

What he will do is put up a ton of pics of Ed and him, he'll dedicate the show to Ed and make out he's doing it for Ed when in fact it's all about Hagar's ego and an attempt to steal back his legacy.

Ed and Alex dont like him and would never support this. I wish Alex would come out and say as much.

Comment

• Von Halen
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Seshmeister
      It's offensive and shame on Antony for being involved.
      At this point, he is doing it for the money. That's the only explanation.

Hagar has zero respect for his audience and always thinks he is smarter than them when he really is obvious and pretty dumb.
      Actually, he is smarter than them. They are allowing themselves to be willingly fleeced by him. Only a moron would buy a ticket and attend this farce. But as Twona stated with Blossom Heath, and Pine Knob is the same way, these venues are nearly sold out and will be sold out by the time this tour comes to town. I wish I could say these tickets were being purchased by young people that never had the opportunity to see Van Halen or Van Hagar, and they just want to lay claim to a portion of it. But, that's not the case. These tickets are being purchased by older Van Halen and Van Hagar fans that are either trying to relive their youth. Want to post on Fagbook that they were there for this farce. Or they really are, just that dumb. I know plenty of people that have tickets for this tour and are acting like it's going to be the greatest rock show of the year. Yes, Clichegar is smarter than the people buying these tickets. He's laughing all the way to the bank.

What he will do is put up a ton of pics of Ed and him, he'll dedicate the show to Ed and make out he's doing it for Ed when in fact it's all about Hagar's ego and an attempt to steal back his legacy.
      Exactly. This will be a horrific self serving jerkfest to himself. I'm sure Bertt totally disagrees with me and would ban me from his shithole for once again speaking the truth.

Ed and Alex dont like him and would never support this. I wish Alex would come out and say as much.
      I wish Al would lambaste this farce. By not saying anything, he is actually giving the perception he's okay with it. What a shame.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Yeah, if Alex’s book were slated to come out say, now, that would be interesting. We know Al loathes Hagar and even if he doesn’t go nuclear on his ass in his book, the indications of his disdain will be there. Al doesn’t simply “not want to play with anyone but his brother” as Hagar intimates. I think he’s a victim of his own timing and silence. Sam’s going to once again wave the proverbial VH flag the he and Michael have been wringing cash out of for two decades now. This is his victory lap for his solo and Van Hagar fans. May we never fucking hear from him again once it’s over. Yeah, right.

Comment

• Kristy
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Sterile fretboard wankery

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
            Sterile fretboard wankery
            That's a big part of it for me, in that the whole hard rock 'guitar hero' technical showoffery thing hasn't aged well for me...even by the end of the 1980's, it had already been overdone.

I can remember first hearing about the annual G3 tours in the early 2000's, and even twenty years ago the idea of watching these aging shredders wank onstage for a few hours seemed hopelessly retro and passe. Doubtless it'd have been one totally bitchin' solo after the next, but even as someone who plays I have a limit to how much of that stuff I can hear before I shrug and mentally turn off.
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen

Actually, he is smarter than them. They are allowing themselves to be willingly fleeced by him. Only a moron would buy a ticket and attend this farce. But as Twona stated with Blossom Heath, and Pine Knob is the same way, these venues are nearly sold out and will be sold out by the time this tour comes to town. I wish I could say these tickets were being purchased by young people that never had the opportunity to see Van Halen or Van Hagar, and they just want to lay claim to a portion of it. But, that's not the case. These tickets are being purchased by older Van Halen and Van Hagar fans that are either trying to relive their youth. Want to post on Fagbook that they were there for this farce. Or they really are, just that dumb. I know plenty of people that have tickets for this tour and are acting like it's going to be the greatest rock show of the year. Yes, Clichegar is smarter than the people buying these tickets. He's laughing all the way to the bank.

I tend to lean toward thinking the majority of people seeing, say, Sammy Hagar this year...they're along the same lines (maybe literally a lot of the same people) of those who go see Foreigner these days. As you say, older fans but more casual fans of Van Halen. Probably always were casual fans of the band, because there were more than a few people even 40 years back who weren't emotionally invested in the whole Roth vs. Hagar thing. People for whom the upcoming Van Hagar Tribute featuring Sammy Hagar concert is just a night out, and nothing more than that, and these concertgoers just want to have a good night out and nothing more than that. I mean, I didn't particularly want to see KISS a couple years ago, but the wife did, so I went. Once there, I tried to have a good night out. It'd be interesting to see the demo on Hagar's upcoming audiences re: average age. I'd guess around 55-60 years old.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

It felt to me at the Roth Hagar tour in 2002 the Hagar fans were on average a little younger. Ex jock dummies and MOR soccer moms. I would imagine if it happened nowadays there would be a sandwich of older and younger CVH fans with the Van Hagar ones in the middle because it's not aged well.

Comment

• silverfish
                  Foot Soldier
                  • Mar 2007

Rick Beato - 47 minutes
                  In The Room With Joe Satriani and Steve Vai

Originally posted by sadaist
                  I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Watched this last night. It’s way more entertaining than their version of You Really Got Me.

Comment

• Rikk
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

Typical Sheep Lies (especially associated with the 2002 Sam & Dave Tour)

It felt to me at the Roth Hagar tour in 2002 the Hagar fans were on average a little younger. Ex jock dummies and MOR soccer moms. I would imagine if it happened nowadays there would be a sandwich of older and younger CVH fans with the Van Hagar ones in the middle because it's not aged well.
                      The thing that pisses me off is when I run into Sheep liars (always online..."normal" people don't remember that tour) and they offer their bullshit "two cents" (many of these people can't even count up to two):

. SHEEP: "Hagar blew Roth off the stage!"
                      . RIKK: Of course they would say that...these people fucking think MAS TEQUILA is a better song than HOT FOR TEACHER.

. SHEEP: "Roth went on first!! What does that tell ya about who was more popular?"
                      . RIKK: If you try and explain to them that Hagar the Horrible opened for half the shows, they'll say, "I know for a fact that that's not true!!"

. SHEEP: "Half the audience left when Dave came onstage! Those who stayed just boo'd him!"
                      . RIKK: Some sheep told me this one recently. I looked at the video of their show...another fucking SHEEP lie.

And, the Sheep's pièce de résistance...the LIE that Sheep love to fall back on all the time (because they read the Ched Rocker's interview LIES)...the LIE not even directly related to the 2002 Tour:
                      . SHEEP: "Van Halen with Sammy sold so many more records than they EVER did with Dave!!"
                      . RIKK: I know farm animals aren't exactly renowned for their arithmetic...BUT are these idiots really not able to comprehend that 57 million LPs sold is more than 27 million LPs?

Sometimes I think it's time to re-open the Pen!

SAMMY HAGAR
                      Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                      Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

If Sammy offered me $500 to attend his Ed is Dead money grab so called tribute I still wouldn’t go. $500 ain’t worth exposing yourself to something that will make you very sick and cause post traumatic stress disorder.
                        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Terry
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Rikk
                          The thing that pisses me off is when I run into Sheep liars (always online..."normal" people don't remember that tour) and they offer their bullshit "two cents" (many of these people can't even count up to two):

. SHEEP: "Hagar blew Roth off the stage!"
                          . RIKK: Of course they would say that...these people fucking think MAS TEQUILA is a better song than HOT FOR TEACHER.

. SHEEP: "Roth went on first!! What does that tell ya about who was more popular?"
                          . RIKK: If you try and explain to them that Hagar the Horrible opened for half the shows, they'll say, "I know for a fact that that's not true!!"

. SHEEP: "Half the audience left when Dave came onstage! Those who stayed just boo'd him!"
                          . RIKK: Some sheep told me this one recently. I looked at the video of their show...another fucking SHEEP lie.

And, the Sheep's pièce de résistance...the LIE that Sheep love to fall back on all the time (because they read the Ched Rocker's interview LIES)...the LIE not even directly related to the 2002 Tour:
                          . SHEEP: "Van Halen with Sammy sold so many more records than they EVER did with Dave!!"
                          . RIKK: I know farm animals aren't exactly renowned for their arithmetic...BUT are these idiots really not able to comprehend that 57 million LPs sold is more than 27 million LPs?

Sometimes I think it's time to re-open the Pen!

SAMMY HAGAR
                          I dunno if it was people conflating the amount of Van Halen albums with Hagar that went #1 vs. the amount of Van Halen albums with Roth that went #1 with total sales, or it was Hagar repeatedly claiming the band sold 50 million albums when he was in it - a claim he made in interviews on numerous occasions - or whatever. Couple all that with lazy rock journalism and no interviewers ever calling out Hagar on his lies...and were I a rock journalist I tend to doubt I would have ever called Hagar out, either. Mostly because I want a paycheck and Hagar lying about his album sales isn't exactly a crime against humanity. Plenty of rock journalists have been hand in hand with record companies forever, all part of hyping the illusion.

I mean, were it the case that Van Halen had sold less with Roth than Hagar, it certainly wouldn't have made any difference to me in terms of what I liked.

Basically, if you liked Van Halen with Roth, you were cool. If you liked Van Halen with Hagar, you were a pussy.
                          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Terry
                            Basically, if you liked Van Halen with Roth, you were cool. If you liked Van Halen with Hagar, you were a pussy.
                            And that’s it. After all of the years of people comparing numbers, Hagar inflating numbers and what have you, I have never given one single shit who sold more. All that matters to me is what I think (and know) sounds genuinely better. The Roth years have proven to be timeless. Anything afterwards, in the words of the man himself, were disposable chapters.

Comment

Working...