Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

The Scorpions were the best band that performed on Sunday at the 83 US Festival. Van Halen had a weak start after we waited and waited for them to hit the stage.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Terry
      Blackout is a fine album. Indeed, a fine album.

I still think Love At First Sting is a good hard rock album. I know a lot of people point to it as the demarcation point of the band 'selling out' or whatever, but I've always thought it was a strong collection of tunes. Created with more of a sense of commercial appeal than the albums prior to it were? Yes, absolutely. No doubt with Love At First Sting the band were going for a broader audience. But they were doing it on their terms with enough of their own style intact.

Plus, when LAFS came out, I was 14 years old and didn't care back then as to if I was 'supposed' to like it or not in comparison with the earlier albums. Here in the US, Scorpions didn't get a ton of airplay until the No One Like You single anyway.
      It’s a small bottle of rocket sauce but it was good while it lasted.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Nov 2004

What about the Uli Roth years?
        Last edited by Jérôme Frenchise; 03-29-2024, 06:05 PM.
        posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
        posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
          The Scorpions were the best band that performed on Sunday at the 83 US Festival. Van Halen had a weak start after we waited and waited for them to hit the stage.
          The one thing that stood out for me with the Scorpions LAFS show I saw was how well-rehearsed the band was. Almost, like, over-rehearsed. A well-rehearsed machine...like, they didn't come across at all as a band who had a lot of spontaneous moments live, musically or even in terms of in-between song patter or whatever.
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
            Uli Roth was a talented enough player back in the day. Obviously very influenced by Hendrix.

The - for lack of a better word - 'problem' with Roth re: Scorpions is that the rest of the band wanted to break big, whereas even by the mid-1970's Uli Roth's heavy influence of Hendrix was already sounding a bit passe in terms of where hard rock was going. Come 1976, what Roth was doing sounded hopelessly stuck in the late 1960's. When with the Scorpions, oftentimes it sounded like the rest of the band were just Uli Jon Roth's backing band and a few too many of the songs were not particularly memorable vehicles to showcase yet another Hendrixesque-type guitar solo.

I may well come across as contrarian or whatever to the loads of Scorpions 'purists' or whatever one wants to call those who think the only stuff the band ever did that was worth hearing was all that pre-Lovedrive material. Personally, I always found it a bit of an endurance test at times to listen to those pre-Lovedrive studio albums. Tokyo Tapes IS excellent, though.
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
              I've heard they were one of the better ones.

All I've ever seen/heard of their set were the three or so tunes via the abridged '83 US Fest Heavy Metal Day thing that was originally on Showtime and maybe ten years ago re-run on VH1 Classic.

Odd that from what I can tell Scorpions Us Fest set wasn't released from start-to-finish officially. I think Quiet Riot, Judas Priest and Triumph have all put out their sets from that day as home video releases.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• silverfish
                Foot Soldier
                • Mar 2007

The one thing that stood out for me with the Scorpions LAFS show I saw was how well-rehearsed the band was. Almost, like, over-rehearsed. A well-rehearsed machine...like, they didn't come across at all as a band who had a lot of spontaneous moments live, musically or even in terms of in-between song patter or whatever.
                I said something along those lines in another thread years back.

"I went to the 1988 Monsters of Rock show. My recollection is that the Scorpions set sounded
                exactly like World Wide Live. Very tight and not a single bum note. Coulda been a recording
                and I wouldn't have known. Not a knock - just decent musicians doing their job and c'mon,
                who wants to hear Klaus in a German accent say that he "Vorgot the Vucking Verds!"."

Still not intended to be a knock. Sounds like those guys always play tight and leave the ad-libs to the professionals.
                Originally posted by sadaist
                I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

They are Germans. They run with precision and get down to business. They were really tight. We watch a show like that and then drunk and coked Dave forgets the fucking words.

Comment

• Terry
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by silverfish
                    I said something along those lines in another thread years back.

"I went to the 1988 Monsters of Rock show. My recollection is that the Scorpions set sounded
                    exactly like World Wide Live. Very tight and not a single bum note. Coulda been a recording
                    and I wouldn't have known. Not a knock - just decent musicians doing their job and c'mon,
                    who wants to hear Klaus in a German accent say that he "Vorgot the Vucking Verds!"."

Still not intended to be a knock. Sounds like those guys always play tight and leave the ad-libs to the professionals.
                    That was the thing with World Wide Live, at least as far as the album/cassette release went (obviously with the home video one can tell there were scenes filmed onstage for close-up shots of the band where they were miming along with the music...where it was a staged video shoot a la more than a few of the close ups one saw in Zep's Song Remains The Same movie), where the audio just sounds note perfect...as you say, very tight and not a single bum note. I remember listening to the WWL cassette in the late 1980's thinking it sounded like something the band recorded in a studio and then overdubbed crowd noise or whatever onto: it wouldn't shock me EITHER way with World Wide Live in terms of there being or not being a lot of post-performance recording for that live album, because the band WERE as tight and note-perfect live as their studio albums.
                    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...