DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Kobe makes 'em pay

by Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports

July 15, 2004

All you really need to know about the kind of guy, the kind of teammate, the kind of employee Kobe Bryant is could be found in the look of mourning and terror painted across Mitch Kupchak's face this week.

The Los Angeles Lakers general manager had recently watched his team implode in the NBA finals, had his legendary coach retire under duress and then was forced to trade away Shaquille O'Neal, the game's most dominant player.

Each was, at least in part, a result of either Bryant's actions or wishes.

"A disappointing day in a lot of ways," said Kupchak Wednesday when he announced the O'Neal trade to Miami.

Yet despite all of this, on Wednesday Kupchak still had no idea what Bryant, the free agent, was going to do. The Lakers had dismantled a dynasty and restructured the entire franchise, and in return Bryant told them, "Let me get back to you."

Then he made the entire Laker Nation, that so desperately wants to trust him, fret while he strongly considered signing with the Clippers.

Yes, the freakin' Clippers.

Thursday Bryant wound up re-signing with the Lakers for seven years at $136 million, but not until he made them grovel, sweat and humiliate themselves in the process.

What a guy.

If Lakers owner Jerry Buss still had a modicum of self-respect he would have gotten sick over this soap opera – and when Bryant still hadn't assured him he was going to re-sign – pulled the plug on the Shaq deal.

He should have asked Shaq for forgiveness, rescinded his offer to Bryant and moved on with personnel that understand what being a Laker really means.

Instead he sold his soul and mortgaged the franchise on a me-first, team-third guy. A guy who displayed not a thought about what this pathetic cry for attention was doing to the people and fans who have always backed him up.

Did we mention that Bryant is scheduled to stand trial for felony sexual assault in Colorado August 27, where a guilty verdict could end his playing career?

The Lakers have been one of the proudest and most storied franchises in sports. And Bryant used them like a desperate girlfriend.

The Lakers are better than this.

The thing with Bryant is that it's always about him. There is plenty to like about the guy, from the high-flying game to the high wattage smile. There is little question he is among the game's five best individual talents, has a knack for crunch time performances and at 25 still has plenty of peak years ahead of him.

But when it comes to playing nice with others, there is no similar track record of success.

He has been estranged from his parents. He's feuded with teammates and coaches. His first shoe company, Adidas, was so fed up with him they dropped him as a spokesperson and let him go unimpeded to rival Nike.

Who knows where things stand with his wife right now?

But this is who the mighty Lakers rolled over for?

They should have been more careful about who they wished for.

This is the same guy who never could understand that part of his brilliance was a result of playing with Shaq. Who doesn't care enough about winning to figure out a way to coexist with O'Neal and try for a couple more titles. Who never had a problem throwing a game offensively (even in the finals) if it meant proving a point to Phil Jackson.

Despite all of this, the Lakers had done everything they could by Wednesday to keep Bryant – offering max money, changing coaches, dumping O'Neal, pleading and begging.

And in return, Bryant hung them out to dry for another sleepless, gut-wrenching night before grudgingly deciding to stay.

Heck of a guy.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

Fabulous Shadow
    I hate KOBE! Always have! He is the reason I hate the Lakers! Except for Rick Fox!

guwapo_rocker
    Originally posted by Fabulous Shadow
    I hate KOBE! Always have! He is the reason I hate the Lakers! Except for Rick Fox!
    Wow you really do dig Canadians!!

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Vanessa Williams divorcing Rick Fox, so he can't be all that.

Fabulous Shadow
    Well, I hear they have been living seperate lives for some time now...
    I just think he's dreamy!

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The Warriors just signed Derek Fisher to a six year deal.........I actually thought we were set at PG, with Speedy starting and Van Exel off the bench! Mullin must have some kind of trade involving Van Exel worked out already...........

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Good guy there, Lumbergh..

Fisher's good off the bench, or starting.

Wayne L.

Thumbs down

Kobe Bryant is one of the most overrated basketball players around who should be banned from the sport because of the accusations against him even though will never happen!!!

Rice Cooker
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Wayne L.
    Kobe Bryant is one of the most overrated basketball players around who should be banned from the sport because of the accusations against him even though will never happen!!!
    banned because of the ACCUSATIONS?! dude, that's a bit ridiculous.

and AL...you ever read The Sports Guy on page 2? the column were he said he was considering retiring the "doug christie jersey" as a mark of shame after christie decked rick fox? hilarious.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by knuckleboner
    banned because of the ACCUSATIONS?! dude, that's a bit ridiculous.

and AL...you ever read The Sports Guy on page 2? the column were he said he was considering retiring the "doug christie jersey" as a mark of shame after christie decked rick fox? hilarious.
    LOL ...

I haven't, but sounds like a good read.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think people are going overboard with the whole Kobe is going down, Kobe is overrated, blah blah blah. The fuckin' sportswriters might as well blame him for world hunger, AIDS, and 9/11. They're just pissed because it won't be a soap opera to write about anymore.

I'm glad it's all over. I was sick of the fighting, sick of Phil's triangle offense, and sick of not winning the Finals this year.

Here's to the 2004-2005 season.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Wayne L.
    if you were to ban guys just on accusations alone...you wouldn't have much of a league.

you wanna suck your cousin Sandra's toes, but no one wants to ban you...
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Thread Information