Last Online
    02-09-2013 @ 06:23 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Dean Leaves Dowd Waiting By Phone

DEAN LEAVES DOWD WAITING BY PHONE
    Sat Jan 17 2004 9:10:05 ET

**Exclusive Preview**

NEW YORK TIMES op-ed queen Maureen Dowd was left waiting by the phone by Democratic presidential hopeful Howard Dean, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned.

After scheduling a phone interview with Dowd at her hotel in Des Moines, the candidate never called!

Dowd is preparing to write about the snub in her Sunday column, sources tell the DRUDGE REPORT.

"I never got the five minutes with him!" Dowd regrets. "Which left me five minutes to think about why his candidacy was sputtering."

"Shunning personal storytelling, Dean has chosen to make his campaign arc about his campaign arc. He brags of facing down the dragon George W. Bush."

Through a dial tone, Dowd recalls: "As he said at a rally here last week about his Democratic rivals: 'They weren't there when it was time to stand up to the president on the war in Iraq. ... If you want someone to stand up to George Bush, I've done it.'"

But Dowd connects: "Personal history shouldn't be a substitute for policy. An overreliance on stories of dramatic heroism and physical suffering can overwhelm a campaign, as it did with Bob Kerrey and Bob Dole, devolving into the politics of self. And yuppie sagas of sin and redemption can become strained with repetition.

"A race rooted mainly in attacking the president may not take Dean far enough. Voters want someone who's been through the fire. They care about character. They want to know the evolution of the man, even if it's a myth."

Click.

Developing.......
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,298 Times in 4,722 Posts

I haven't seen it yet, but apparently Dowd wrote an article where she wasn't too friendly towards Dean's wife, Dr Judy Steinberg, so if that's the case, one can hardly blame Dean for not wanting to talk to Dowd.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Thread Information