Thread: 9/11 Commission Finds Ties Between al-Qaeda and Iran

lucky wilbury

9/11 Commission Finds Ties Between al-Qaeda and Iran

http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...664967,00.html

9/11 Commission Finds Ties Between al-Qaeda and Iran
    Senior U.S. officials have told TIME that the 9/11 Commission's report will cite evidence suggesting that the 9/11 hijackers had previously passed through Iran
    By ADAM ZAGORIN AND JOE KLEIN

Friday, Jul. 16, 2004

Next week's much anticipated final report by a bipartisan commission on the origins of the 9/11 attacks will contain new evidence of contacts between al-Qaeda and Iran—just weeks after the Administration has come under fire for overstating its claims of contacts between al-Qaeda and Saddam Hussein's Iraq.

A senior U.S. official told TIME that the Commission has uncovered evidence suggesting that between eight and ten of the 14 "muscle" hijackers—that is, those involved in gaining control of the four 9/11 aircraft and subduing the crew and passengers—passed through Iran in the period from October 2000 to February 2001. Sources also tell TIME that Commission investigators found that Iran had a history of allowing al-Qaeda members to enter and exit Iran across the Afghan border. This practice dated back to October 2000, with Iranian officials issuing specific instructions to their border guards—in some cases not to put stamps in the passports of al-Qaeda personnel—and otherwise not harass them and to facilitate their travel across the frontier. The report does not, however, offer evidence that Iran was aware of the plans for the 9/11 attacks.

The senior official also told TIME that the report will note that Iranian officials approached the al-Qaeda leadership after the bombing of the USS Cole and proposed a collaborative relationship in future attacks on the U.S., but the offer was turned down by bin Laden because he did not want to alienate his supporters in Saudi Arabia.

The Iran-al Qaeda contacts were discovered and presented to the Commissioners near the end of the bipartisan panel's more than year-long investigation into the sources and origins of the 9/11 attacks. Much of the new information about Iran came from al-Qaeda detainees interrogated by the U.S. government, including captured Yemeni al-Qaeda operative Waleed Mohammed bin Attash, who organized the October 2000 attack on the USS Cole, and from as many as 100 separate electronic intelligence intercepts culled by analysts at the NSA. The findings were sent to the White House for review only this week. But Commission members have been hinting for weeks that their report would have some Iran surprises. As the 9/11 Commission's chairman, Thomas Kean, said in June, "We believe....that there were a lot more active contacts, frankly, with Iran and with Pakistan than there were with Iraq."

These findings follow a Commission staff report, released in June, which suggested that al-Qaeda may have collaborated with Hezbollah and its Iranian sponsors in the 1996 bombing of the Khobar Towers, a key American military barracks in Saudi Arabia. Previously, the attack had been attributed only to Hezbollah, with Iranian support. A U.S. indictment of bin Laden filed in 1998 for the bombing of U.S. embassies in Africa said al-Qaeda "forged alliances . . . with the government of Iran and its associated terrorist group Hezbollah for the purpose of working together against their perceived common enemies in the West, particularly the United States." But the Commission comes to no firm conclusion on al-Qaeda's involvement in the Khobar disaster.

Since 9/11 the U.S. has held direct talks with Iran—and through intermediaries including Britain, Switzerland and Saudi Arabia—concerning the fate of scores of al-Qaeda that Iran has acknowleded are in the country, including an unspecified number of senior leaders, whom one senior U.S. official called al-Qaeda's "management council". The U.S. as well as the Saudis have unsuccessfully sought the repatriation of this group, which is widely thought to include Saad bin Laden, the son of Osama bin Laden, as well of other key al-Qaeda figures.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

How did I get here?
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    07-20-2022 @ 10:16 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I just had an interesting day here yesterday. I took a walk out aff da hitchWORLD. You think it's a dump. You think it's YOUR dump. O1ne day it's going to be on it's own URL again.

Howeva,

I've noticed many to most aff you "cut and paste" full.. I mean FULL articles on this message board. Wot da fak????

Why can't you just read it and tell us what it is or wot you think it is and then a URL link if we want to read your "source."

Hmmm...

Then you'd have to think and form your own thoughts. I know that's not wot you were educated to do at school. It's hard for anybody over 40 really, because the purposeful dumbing down aff the society has already taken it's toll through the public education system since the 1960's.

In the Fifty's the worry in America was, "Johnny Can't Read."

Now, the reality is, "Johnny and Jane Can't Think."

True dat.

P
    Last edited by Phil theStalker; 07-17-2004 at 02:37 AM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    True, we cut and paste alot here, especially me...

But, that's not all that goes on here...

It's unfair for you to base your conclusion after only one day of interaction in here...

Hang around more often, anus face...

How did I get here?
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    07-20-2022 @ 10:16 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by ELVIS
    True, we cut and paste alot here, especially me...

But, that's not all that goes on here...

It's unfair for you to base your conclusion after only one day of interaction in here...

Hang around more often, anus face...

OK

Dat's fair

=PtS=

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    Plus, I think posting full articles makes this a one stop place to read the news...

lucky wilbury
    it's also a way to get things started around here. everyone reads the same thing then posts their different takes on what is happening.

Wayne L.

Talking

I do believe there is a stronger connection between Iran & Al Qaeda to 9/11 than Iraq & Al Qaeda which is why if Bush is re-elected I expect Iran to be the NEXT target on this war on terror!!!

DLR Army Mod Emeritus
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-10-2022 @ 10:05 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah - give the Weird Beards a nuclear shampoo......

Thread Information