Woodstock 69 is highly overrated.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wayne L.

Woodstock 69 is highly overrated.

Woodstock 69 is known as the greatest rock festival in the history of rock & roll which defined the 60's youth generation more so than the Beatles & Bob Dylan but there were much better rock festivals. I think Woodstock is highly overrated looking back on it 35 years later which will probably baby boomers who were former hippies at the time who attended this historic rock festival. The classic performances at Woodstock by the Who, Ten Years After, Santana, CS&N, Country Joe McDonald & Jimi Hendrix are timeless because of the documentary. Other rock festivals which should have been made into documentaries themselves like the Texas Pop Festival which occured two weeks after Woodstock, Cal Jam 1 & 2 in 74/78, Texxas Jam 78/79 & US Festival 83 but were completely ignored except to the rock fans who attended. Woodstock 69 is a defining moment in 60's youth culture but there were other rock festivals which should have gotten just as much media coverage because they were just as significant despite not being as historic in their mind.
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Altamont 1969 was a "legendary" show. Though not entirely for the right reasons.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Mr Badguy
      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I don`t know why Hendrix came out as a legend after Woodstock.

His playing was alright but his band were really unrehersed and it was a poor group performance.

Maybe that`s why the solo rendition of "Star spangled banner" is the definitive Hendrix clip from the event.

Oh...and who invited 50`s rockabilly revivalists Sha na na?
      sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• YankeeRose

Wayne..that was a stupid thing to say. Next time please try to know what you're talking about. The real Woodstock festival is held in the highest regards for many reasons. The details were finialized at the last minute..there were absolutely no arrests, for any reason, all weekend - no rapes, no roberies, no assaults, nothing...most of the performers there are now considered legends in Rock, not just a flash in the pan...no one died...

...shall I go on?

Tell me of one other Rock festival that can boast the same statistics...

Comment

• Ally_Kat
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2004

definately not Woodstock '99
          Roth Army Militia

Comment

• tobinentinc
            Head Fluffer
            • Apr 2004

Live Aid in '85. The Woodstock of the 80's had many legendary artists there. Zeppelin, the Who, Sabbath ect. They may not have been their best performances, but an event like that in 2 cities should be remebered more than it is.
            http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip...hics/sines.gif http://images.google.com/images?q=tb...m/kissarmy.jpg http://images.google.com/images?q=tb...ve/vhlogo1.gif

Comment

• EmpyreLounge44
              Foot Soldier
              • Jun 2004

woodstock '99 sure was alot of fun though. i went and had a ball...just a couple thousand douche bags had to ruin it. if you didnt expect to pay and pay a lot for stuff you have to get your head out of your ass. the prices were the same as any concert you go to...just had to pay three days worth

Comment

• YankeeRose

Originally posted by FORD
                Altamont 1969 was a "legendary" show. Though not entirely for the right reasons.

LOL..not a shining moment for the Stones...lol Anyone who is stoopid enough to hire Hells Angels for a security team deserves all the shit that hits the fan.

Comment

• BruinJer
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD

I agree 100%... some amazing performances with an unfortunate series of events. THAT was the festival of the year.
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...r/Chickies.jpg

Comment

• Coyote
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Jan 2004

Monterey Pop Festival.
                    Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                    It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• Mr Badguy
                      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Donington `80, `84, `88, `90 and `91.

Plenty of good bands although `88 was blighted by the death of two fans.
                      sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• Wayne L.

I probably know more about Woodstock 69 than you do YankeeRose because I didn't learn from a website like you possibly did so being an asshole isn't going to do you any good.

Comment

• YankeeRose

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wayne L.
                          I probably know more about Woodstock 69 than you do YankeeRose because I didn't learn from a website like you possibly did so being an asshole isn't going to do you any good. [/QUOTE

Look you jackass...Once again you don't know what the hell you're talking about. Either you have serious brain damage or you're just the little punk mother fucker that you sound like. The same moron that's already been run off other sites. Callin me names or insulting me isn't going to scare me off..I've had shit slung at me by better men than you..ask hitch69 if I ran from his barrage. Woodstock 69 is the legend that other rock festivals aspire to be. Look up the facts and compare it to any other rock festival. Assuming, of course, that you're old enough or intelligent enough to know how to do that...
                          Last edited by YankeeRose; 08-04-2004, 08:53 PM.

Comment

• Chaz Rock City

The Moscow Music Peace Festival: The day hair metal killed communism. Have the four tape of all the bands all the bill. I could do without Gorky Park, but every body else on the bill was killer. In case you don't remember the line-up it was: Skid Row, Gorky Park, Cinderella, Ozzy, Motley Crue's first sober performance, Scorpions, and Bon Jovi. It was arguably as good as metal day at the US Festival

Comment

• YankeeRose

Sounds like a great line up...but what was the behavior of the fans like? How many assaults, robberies, drug arrests, etc did they have? I have never heard of any rock festival, other than Woodstock 69, that had absolutely none of these.

Comment

Working...