How some Beatles fans have ruind the Lennon legend.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wayne L.

How some Beatles fans have ruind the Lennon legend.

It's a tragedy the way some of my fellow Beatles fans have ruined the legend of the late, great John Lennon for over 20 years now turning him from a rock & roll rebel into a holier than thou saint after his tragic murder back in Dec. of 80. John was a rock & roll rebel who was kind of the Johnny Rotten of his time during the 60's as a member of the Beatles with his outspoken attitude & rock classics which were more edgy than his bandmate Paul McCartney. He became a peace activist as well as a house husband but I never looked at Lennon as a goody two shoes when I was growing up in the 70's which some of my fellow Beatles fans have turned him into ludicriously giving the young people of today & since his death the wrong impression. The late, great John Lennon was one of the greatest singers, songwriters & musicians of all time wih few equals who will never be forgotten but I think turning him into a holier than thou saint instead of the rock & rol legend that he is & always will be isa travesty to his memory speaking as a 40 year old dedicated Beatles fan.
  • Warham
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Mar 2004

Holy saint? LMAO!

They must be smoking some good stuff to try to push that agenda.

I think alot of it is out of reverence. They put him on a pedestal. When you do that, you tend to gloss over the unsavory parts of a person's history. Lennon had his good days and bad days just like anybody else.

He was, as you said, one of the greatest singers, songwriters and musicians ever. Every time I see something about his death, I always think of what a damn shame it was.

Comment

• Figs
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Jun 2004

I'm not sure I've seen a lot of him being made out to be a saint, but it is rare to ever hear anything negative about him. I'm not sure Julian Lennon thinks he's a saint. Anyhow, Lennon & McCartney are my 2 favorite songwriters, period.

Comment

• PHOENIX
        Veteran
        • Jan 2004

So i guess none of you guys is going to pick up the John Lennon cookbook?

Comment

• Coyote
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Warham
          Holy saint? LMAO!

They must be smoking some good stuff to try to push that agenda.

I think alot of it is out of reverence. They put him on a pedestal. When you do that, you tend to gloss over the unsavory parts of a person's history. Lennon had his good days and bad days just like anybody else.

He was, as you said, one of the greatest singers, songwriters and musicians ever. Every time I see something about his death, I always think of what a damn shame it was.
          Yeah. Kinda like Phil Lynott. (R.I.P.)
          Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
          It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

John certainly had a dark side. The peace and love thing was partially a marketing tool. That said he was an amazing artist that I will always admire............solo stuff included.

Comment

• ELVIS
              Banned
              • Dec 2003

Good post Wayne (I still hate your writing style, or lack thereof...)

I don't know what you mean by "ruined" though...

The legend of John Lennon is alive and well...

The current state of rock music is so fucked up that today's young fans wouldn't know Lennon from Barney, but that will change...

What today's young people don't yet realize, is the fact that Rock 'N Roll gets better with age...

BTW.. I prrefer McCartney...

Comment

• Mr Badguy
                Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Wayne, why do you refer to every dead rock star as "the late, great"?

You could use some other terms like "legendary" or "much missed" or even "dead loser".

Maybe not for John Lennon, cos he was murdered but for others who wasted their lives either through drink (Jim Morrison), drugs (Phillip Lynott) or shooting themselves (Kurt Cobain).

I think that could be why Lennon`s legend remains untouchable, the fact that he was taken from the world rather than burning himself out.

The same goes for Randy Rhoads, Cliff Burton, Bon Scott and any other rock star who died accidently.

No matter how big a hellraiser, they are remembered as being whiter than white.
                sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

Working...